200 Million to build next generation Chevrolet Truck in Mexico ??

So many people in the USA not working and we are going to send more work down to Mexico, Good move GM. You don't even what to hear what I think . I thought the current administration is trying to bring and invent more jobs inside the USA ?????? Wake up people.

Edited by lt1george

It's a double-edged sword. I like the idea of Mexicans staying home and making an honest living instead of coming into our country. There've been plants down there for decades, AFAIK. BUT, I hope the movement to keep more jobs here at home does not lose momentum.

Are they upgrading the existing Silao Assembly plant with this $200 million? If yes, then all they are doing is getting it ready for the new trucks. The Silao Assembly plant has been making full-size SUVs since 1994, so this is nothing new (thanks NAFTA! :rolleyes: ) Now I agree with you that we should be producing more of our products in the USA, but GM didn't close down the Silao, Mexico plant so they'll continue to use it.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

GM already brought the Sonic back to the states. Kept the Cruze in the US and exporting from the US for some markets. Volt, ATS, Malibu, all here.

They are bringing Spring Hill back online to be the most flexible plant in the world.

It's a balancing act, but that means that some things will still be built outside of the US.

GM already brought the Sonic back to the states. Kept the Cruze in the US and exporting from the US for some markets. Volt, ATS, Malibu, all here.

They are bringing Spring Hill back online to be the most flexible plant in the world.

It's a balancing act, but that means that some things will still be built outside of the US.

I agree, we ARE a GLOBAL Economy and as such it becomes a balancing act to decide what we build and export from here and what is built out of the country.

In this case with Spring Hill coming back online and the increase in models that are built here, it is only logical that some continuation of building in Mexico and Canada happens.

See the movie Bordertown with Jennifer Lopez. This is about the Nafta and large manufacturing just over the boarder and the death of thousands of woman. It is amazing to see the whole working to build a better life and yet the corrupt police / politicians both in the USA and Mexico to central america with the expansion of Nafta has allowed some crazy stuff to go on.

I hope some day they can stop the brutal murders of woman in mexico who work at these plants.

FYI - Border town is a well done movie but not for the faint of heart.

Not related to OP, but is the Opel/vauxhall Ampera being built in the US or just the volt?

Is this for the sivlerado or colorado type trucks? GM just dumped a bunch of money into the Flint HD Silverado assembly line. As well as I thought they were happy with the Fort wayne plant as well as the one Canada plant or am I severly out of the loop?

Ampera is also built in the US. It is such a specialized car with relatively low volume, I don't see them expanding production globally until the next generation. They are built at the former DTS/Lucerne plant.

This is for the Silverado/Sierra 1500s and the Avalanche/Escalade EXT which are going out of production.

- Arlington, TX and Silao, Mexico build full-size SUVs and the Avalanche/Escalade EXT.

- Flint Truck Assembly builds the light (1500) and heavy-duty (2500 and 3500 HD) GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickups.

- Fort Wayne Assembly builds the light-duty (1500) GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickups.

- Wentzville Assembly builds the GMC Savana and Chevrolet Express vans.

- Shreveport Operations builds the GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado.

*Oshawa Truck Assembly and Pontiac Assembly Centre both built GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickups until 2009.

Note: Wentzville will be the new assembly home of the future Canyon/Colorado models, not sure if the vans remain there too.