PLEASE HELP...

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 running on Windows XP.

I haven't had any issues with viruses, spam, spyware, or even pop-ups since I've had it. However, I attempted to download a setup program on LimeWire earlier tonight and have since been bombarded by spam, spyware, and endless pop-ups. My desktop background has been replaced by "Active Desktop Recovery", and my system has been running extremely slowly and freezes often. I ran Ad-Aware, which found over 250 "Critical Objects", many of which were considered High-Risk threats. Usually the program is able to remove (or quarantine) everything without a problem, but tonight, several can't be removed. I've removed LimeWire from my system, but the problems still remain.

I'm beginning to panic, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Bimmer

Best bet is to download HijackThis, run it, and then post your log over at the Tom Coyote forums. They are trained to deal with all kinds of viruses/spam/malicious programs and have always solved my issues. More instructions can be found at those forums.

Don't try to delete the stuff yourself...run the program and then post the log, and they will give you further instructions on what to do.

Edited by mustang84

not long after I got my laptop I got something on it and the same thing began happening, I took it to a local computer place and they fixed it all for like 30 bucks....worth it for me i guess becuase ad aware did nothing and i didn't know what to try deleting. If you don't figure it out yourself, that is what i would suggest.

that's why you have to be careful with Limewire, especially when downloading executable programs. Sounds like you may have a backdoor trojan or something. It could be pretty bad if it infects the registry enough. My brother got one of those and the only way to get rid of it was to format his hard drive. I would suggest scanning it with an anti-virus program and an anti-spyware program. if you don't have them i would suggest Avast! Antivirus, cuz it's free and it works very well (I use it) and Adaware. You can try restoring the comp to a few days before this happened, then run the programs, if the problem continues and they find nothing, you may need to format the hard drive.

Edited by Dodgefan

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I ran HijackThis and posted my log in the TomCoyote Forums. I'd be lost without those links, mustang. Hopefully someone will be able to aid me in the near future over there, but it seems they're pretty backed up. I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

Any advice on what I can do until my log is analyzed?

You can try restoring the comp to a few days before this happened, then run the programs, if the problem continues and they find nothing, you may need to format the hard drive.

I think I may have gotten lucky this time.

I took your advice and used System Restore to restore my computer to an earlier date (I chose April 18th). Much to my surprise, it seems everything is back to normal. We'll see if this lasts.

I can't thank you guys enough. :metal:

Bimmer

I think I may have gotten lucky this time. 

I took your advice and used System Restore to restore my computer to an earlier date (I chose April 18th).  Much to my surprise, it seems everything is back to normal.  We'll see if this lasts. 

I can't thank you guys enough.  :metal: 

Bimmer

no problem ^_^ just make sure to run antivirus/anti-spyware programs just to be sure