Interview with the Auto Extremist

http://autoextremist.com/page2.shtml

One of the best paragraphs.

Q. Okay, there had to be a few things that really pissed you off in New York, right?

PMD: Toyota's press conference for the new Lexus LS600hL, which kicked-off media events on Wednesday, was one of the most embarrassing displays of unbridled arrogance ever unleashed by a car company at a media preview. It even put to shame some of the more outrageous displays by the German manufacturers at auto shows past - and that's saying something. The tone, the language and everything about the presentation confirmed to me that the "creeping" arrogance that has been brewing at Toyota for years has finally blossomed into full bloom for everyone to see. Toyota not only hinted that the 600hL would be the best car in the world, they came right out and said it - and the tone they used suggested that there was no need for us to attend any other manufacturers' press conferences because we had just witnessed the only newsworthy event at the show. These people actually now believe that the moon and the stars revolve around their sun - and they're not afraid to lecture everyone about how to act in the presence of true greatness. A few in the media genuflected appropriately in the white-hot light emanating from the greatness of Toyota and dutifully became deputized shills for the Master Manipulators in the Toyota PR machine, generating vacuous stories anointing the 600hL as the new king of the automotive world. But those who did have been transparent Toyota boosters for years and their stories were treated for what they were - glorified extensions of the Lexus press release package. I detected more than a little skepticism from the majority of the auto media present, however, as Toyota clearly stepped over the line of proud confidence into a dimension of "our excrement smells like a field of spring daisies." These people are headed for a big fall, but predictably, they will be the last to see it coming.

Edited by Dodgefan

So we get his opinion...

Edit:  Did he write his own questions, too?  HAHA.  I love his take on the Aura, half true and half laughable.

The editor's note at the beginning indicates that the questions are from JJP (Janice J. Putnam). Whichh comments about the Aura did you find laughable?

This Peter fella hears what he wants.

("The new LS600h is one of the quietest if not quietest vechicle ever built" != "The new LS600h is the greatest vehicle ever built")

No duh Toyota takes pride in the LS600h, its their first ever S600, 760i competitor.

Edited by toyoguy

The editor's note at the beginning indicates that the questions are from JJP (Janice J. Putnam).  Whichh comments about the Aura did you find laughable?

I saw that note but I still maintain he answered his own questions. I thought he was right that the Aura only has a third of the budget Toyota has to advertise the new Camry. The laughable part was that he believed the Aura is an extremely competitive product and while it does have things going for it, like being way better than the Sonata and other midsizers, it is mainly competitive with last-gen cars.