William Maley

Alfa Romeo, Where For Art Thou? :Comments

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 5, 2012

The return of Alfa Romeo has been filled with delays. Dates of the first vehicles arriving into the U.S. have been pushed, while others have either been killed off or been delayed.

Automotive News reports that Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne will announce a new timetable for Alfa Romeo's upcoming models and expansion plans on October 30th. However, AN has learned from sources of what vehicles have been killed and what vehicles will be coming.

We’ll start with the vehicles that have been canned. A five-door version of the Alfa’s subcompact, the MiTo; a rear-wheel drive full-size sedan that would have been underpinned by the next generation Maseratti Quattroporte sedan, compact crossover, and the refreshed 2014 Giulietta.

As for the models that will be coming, the first will be 4C coupe in 2013. That will be followed by a midsize SUV which will use the underpinnings of the next Jeep Liberty in late 2013. 2014 bring forth the new midsize Giulia sedan and wagon. The Giulia will use a version of Fiat’s CUSW architecture and have the choice between front-wheel or all-wheel drive. Finally, there is a new Alfa Romeo Roadster in 2015. Originally due out in 2013, the Roadster will come out of a partnership between Alfa Romeo and Mazda. The Roadster will use the Miata as a base and a 1.8L turbocharged engine.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Wait and see as they have a HUGE hurdel to overcome as their track record of quality cars in the US has sucked and right now I would not bother with a fiat. Hell I would take a 90's era GM car over Fiat right now.

i can appreciate the sentiment...but they do build some cool looking stuff.

About a jillion Fiats on the road around here...

Sports cars should definitely be the focus..a modern Spyder and a coupe of some sort. The market is flooded w/ FWD subcompacts, compacts, CUVs and other appliances..they need unique selling points.

Sports cars should definitely be the focus..a modern Spyder and a coupe of some sort. The market is flooded w/ FWD subcompacts, compacts, CUVs and other appliances..they need unique selling points.

Very true, if you are going to come back into a market that you trashed, then you need to come in with quality product that is special and different than the competition. FWD Appliances and cuv's are available in droves, give us what we are lacking.

Its just sad that FWD has to continue at Alfa Romeo! I thought they could have become a more "Passionate" alternative to BMW and the like! With Italian Flair and sports car handling as an all RWD line!!----OH WELL!!!

Its just sad that FWD has to continue at Alfa Romeo! I thought they could have become a more "Passionate" alternative to BMW and the like! With Italian Flair and sports car handling as an all RWD line!!----OH WELL!!!

Economics means they have to continue to share FWD platforms w/ Fiat as they have done for decades.. though this possible new sports car platform with Mazda is promising.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Economics means they have to continue to share FWD platforms w/ Fiat as they have done for decades.. though this possible new sports car platform with Mazda is promising.

If they would just delay the return of a line of Alfas till Chrysler completes the mid-sized RWD platform they are working on then they could return to the U.S. in real RWD Alpha Romeo STYLE!! The brand deserves better then FWD!!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      It seems a bit odd to be driving the Giulia Ti almost half a year on from spending a week high-performance Quadrifoglio. This felt like I had a nice slice of cake and was now facing a bowl of vegetables. Trying to keep an open mind on Ti was going to be difficult, considering the mixed opinions I had with the first Giulia. But I knew that I had to try.
      I actually prefer the toned-down nature of Ti Sport compared to Quadrifoglio as lacks the aggressive bumper treatment and cloverleaf emblems on the fenders. Some items such as the uniquely styled wheels do carry over and add a small sporting touch. The only item I would change is the color. Grey just makes the design somewhat boring. The blue I had on the Quadrifoglio works much better as it allows the design to stand out. The interior is still very much a mixed affair. Most of the materials are what you would expect to find a luxury car of this caliber with soft-touch plastics, leather, and metal trim. But Alfa clearly cut some corners such as the cheap plastics used on the center console. The front sport seats provide excellent bolstering and comfort for any adventure you decide to take. Rear space is almost non-existent for most adults. Alfa Romeo did address one of my complaints with that I had with 2017 Giulia. 2018 models now have the option of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It is shame that it is an option, but it does make using infotainment system somewhat less frustrating. Some of the issues I had with the system in both the Giulia Quadrifoglio and Stelvio Ti are present in this Giulia. Going through a number of menus to accomplish simple tasks, slow performance, and a small number of crashes during my weeklong test. I really hope Alfa Romeo is working on some updates to get this system in order. Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder delivering 280 horsepower and 306 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic and optional Q4 all-wheel drive. I really liked this engine in the Stevlio as moved the compact crossover without breaking a sweat. In the Giulia, this engine makes this sedan fly away from stops. It is said the turbo-four can hit 60 mph in just over five seconds, which is fast for the class. One disappointment is the engine sounding like a diesel at idle, not something you want to have in an Italian sport sedan. EPA says the Giulia Ti with AWD will return 23 City/31 Highway/26 Combined. My average for the week landed around 23.6 in mostly city driving. One trait that both the Ti Sport and Quadrifoglio share is the handling. The chassis underneath allows the Giulia to dart around in the corners and keep body motions well in check. Steering is another bright spot where the vehicle would instantly respond to any input, along with provide good feedback. Ride quality is slightly better than the Quadrifoglio as only a small number of bumps come inside. Put the Giulia into Dynamic (sport mode) and the ride does become somewhat unbearable. Unfortunately, my Giulia Ti tester had an issue with the brakes. Whenever the brakes were applied, there was a noticeable screeching noise coming the rear of the vehicle. At first, I thought something had gotten lodged in the brakes. But the noise would go away after I had been driving for a bit. Park the car for awhile and drive it once again, the noise would return. This likely hints at something being warped - a bit disappointing for a vehicle that only had a few thousand miles on the odometer. The Giulia is one of those vehicles I really want to like a lot more than I currently do. Alfa Romeo still has a number of issues they need to address sooner than later. I only would recommend this model for those who understand what they’re getting into. Gallery: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
      Disclaimer: Alfa Romeo Provided the Giulia, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Alfa Romeo
      Model: Giulia
      Trim: Ti Sport Q4
      Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged MultiAir SOHC Inline-Four
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 280 @ 5,200
      Torque @ RPM: 306 @ 2,000 - 4,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/31/26
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Cassino, Italy
      Base Price: $41,995
      As Tested Price: $51,885 (Includes $1,295 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Ti Sport AWD Package 22S - $2,500.00
      Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package - $1,500.00
      Ti Leather Package - $995.00
      8.8-inch AM/FM Bluetooth Radio with 3D Nav - $950.00
      Harman/Kardon Premium Audio System - $900.00
      Driver Assistance Static Package - $650.00
      Vesuvio Gray Metallic - $600.00
      19-inch x 8-inch Bright 5-Hole Aluminum Wheels - $500.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It seems a bit odd to be driving the Giulia Ti almost half a year on from spending a week high-performance Quadrifoglio. This felt like I had a nice slice of cake and was now facing a bowl of vegetables. Trying to keep an open mind on Ti was going to be difficult, considering the mixed opinions I had with the first Giulia. But I knew that I had to try.
      I actually prefer the toned-down nature of Ti Sport compared to Quadrifoglio as lacks the aggressive bumper treatment and cloverleaf emblems on the fenders. Some items such as the uniquely styled wheels do carry over and add a small sporting touch. The only item I would change is the color. Grey just makes the design somewhat boring. The blue I had on the Quadrifoglio works much better as it allows the design to stand out. The interior is still very much a mixed affair. Most of the materials are what you would expect to find a luxury car of this caliber with soft-touch plastics, leather, and metal trim. But Alfa clearly cut some corners such as the cheap plastics used on the center console. The front sport seats provide excellent bolstering and comfort for any adventure you decide to take. Rear space is almost non-existent for most adults. Alfa Romeo did address one of my complaints with that I had with 2017 Giulia. 2018 models now have the option of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It is shame that it is an option, but it does make using infotainment system somewhat less frustrating. Some of the issues I had with the system in both the Giulia Quadrifoglio and Stelvio Ti are present in this Giulia. Going through a number of menus to accomplish simple tasks, slow performance, and a small number of crashes during my weeklong test. I really hope Alfa Romeo is working on some updates to get this system in order. Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder delivering 280 horsepower and 306 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic and optional Q4 all-wheel drive. I really liked this engine in the Stevlio as moved the compact crossover without breaking a sweat. In the Giulia, this engine makes this sedan fly away from stops. It is said the turbo-four can hit 60 mph in just over five seconds, which is fast for the class. One disappointment is the engine sounding like a diesel at idle, not something you want to have in an Italian sport sedan. EPA says the Giulia Ti with AWD will return 23 City/31 Highway/26 Combined. My average for the week landed around 23.6 in mostly city driving. One trait that both the Ti Sport and Quadrifoglio share is the handling. The chassis underneath allows the Giulia to dart around in the corners and keep body motions well in check. Steering is another bright spot where the vehicle would instantly respond to any input, along with provide good feedback. Ride quality is slightly better than the Quadrifoglio as only a small number of bumps come inside. Put the Giulia into Dynamic (sport mode) and the ride does become somewhat unbearable. Unfortunately, my Giulia Ti tester had an issue with the brakes. Whenever the brakes were applied, there was a noticeable screeching noise coming the rear of the vehicle. At first, I thought something had gotten lodged in the brakes. But the noise would go away after I had been driving for a bit. Park the car for awhile and drive it once again, the noise would return. This likely hints at something being warped - a bit disappointing for a vehicle that only had a few thousand miles on the odometer. The Giulia is one of those vehicles I really want to like a lot more than I currently do. Alfa Romeo still has a number of issues they need to address sooner than later. I only would recommend this model for those who understand what they’re getting into. Gallery: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
      Disclaimer: Alfa Romeo Provided the Giulia, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Alfa Romeo
      Model: Giulia
      Trim: Ti Sport Q4
      Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged MultiAir SOHC Inline-Four
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 280 @ 5,200
      Torque @ RPM: 306 @ 2,000 - 4,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/31/26
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Cassino, Italy
      Base Price: $41,995
      As Tested Price: $51,885 (Includes $1,295 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Ti Sport AWD Package 22S - $2,500.00
      Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package - $1,500.00
      Ti Leather Package - $995.00
      8.8-inch AM/FM Bluetooth Radio with 3D Nav - $950.00
      Harman/Kardon Premium Audio System - $900.00
      Driver Assistance Static Package - $650.00
      Vesuvio Gray Metallic - $600.00
      19-inch x 8-inch Bright 5-Hole Aluminum Wheels - $500.00
    • By William Maley
      During the unveiling of the latest five-year plan for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Alfa Romeo revealed that it would have two more SUVs by 2022. At the time, we knew some of the details on the larger of the two new SUVs - would come with a new mild-hybrid system and use a stretched version of the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Giulia and Stelvio. But we had no details on the smaller model, until this week.
      Auto Express reports that the smaller model will use a shrunken version of Giorgio and feature electrification. This will likely include a hybrid system to take the place of a diesel. A possibility is adding a plug-in hybrid system. The new SUV will also come with Level 3 autonomous driving tech.
      The smaller SUV is expected to arrive first in 2020, followed by the larger one in 2021.
      Source: Auto Express
    • By William Maley
      During the unveiling of the latest five-year plan for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Alfa Romeo revealed that it would have two more SUVs by 2022. At the time, we knew some of the details on the larger of the two new SUVs - would come with a new mild-hybrid system and use a stretched version of the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Giulia and Stelvio. But we had no details on the smaller model, until this week.
      Auto Express reports that the smaller model will use a shrunken version of Giorgio and feature electrification. This will likely include a hybrid system to take the place of a diesel. A possibility is adding a plug-in hybrid system. The new SUV will also come with Level 3 autonomous driving tech.
      The smaller SUV is expected to arrive first in 2020, followed by the larger one in 2021.
      Source: Auto Express

View full article
    • By William Maley
      FCA US Reports June 2018 Sales
      FCA reports best June retail sales in 14 years Jeep® brand reports its best month of June sales ever, up 19 percent Ram Truck brand posts best June sales ever, up 6 percent Jeep Cherokee reports best month of sales ever, up 89 percent July 3, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported June 2018 sales of 202,264 vehicles, an 8 percent increase compared with sales in June 2017 of 187,348 vehicles.

Overall sales were bolstered by both the Jeep® and Ram Truck brands, which reported significant increases for the month. FCA retail sales came in at 155,208, marking the best June sales since 2004 when sales reached 155,663 vehicles. Fleet accounted for 23 percent of total sales, a 1 percent decline from the previous year.

Jeep Brand
      Jeep brand notched its best month of June sales ever with 86,989 vehicles sold compared with 73,153 in June 2017. Driving the results were the Cherokee, Compass and Wrangler nameplates. Cherokee and Compass sales nearly doubled, with Cherokee reporting 22,433 vehicle sales compared with 11,895 in June 2017. Compass sales were 15,142 compared with 8,311 in June 2017. Wrangler sales increased to 23,110 vehicles compared with 18,839 in June 2017.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand scored a variety of records as sales increased 6 percent to 51,729 vehicles, making it the best June sales ever. Ram brand retail sales also had their best June ever, rising 4 percent to 36,750. Driving the increase was Light-Duty pickup truck retail sales, which rose 11 percent to 24,036 vehicles. Total sales of the Ram ProMaster van nearly doubled to 6,996 vehicles.  

Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales declined 32 percent in June to 13,484 vehicles compared with June of the previous year.

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 9 percent to 46,387 as Charger sales rose 4 percent to 6,640 vehicles compared with 6,379 vehicles in June 2017.    

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat declined 36 percent to 1,426 vehicles. 

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 2,249 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Stelvio led the brand with 1,231 vehicle sales, followed by Giulia at 979 vehicles. 

• My Clubs