Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hmmm ...

I love those 2 door SUV's, but would pass on this one, you can see the rust on the lower body panels, the missing plastic on the dash makes me think they did their own hack job on electronics.

It is a serious project auto. Think there are better ones for just a little bit more.

I think it still has merit.

Yeah, they may have done their own hack job on wiring the headunit in. I noticed the missing filler panels on the dash fascia when I looked through the ad earlier. If they bypassed the wiring harness, yeah it could get messy, but it's nothing that can't be sorted out. I've wired up enough aftermarket stereos in my previous cars to know what to fix if there's an issue. Plus, a hack installation could only warrant an ignition issue, which could be easily reversed. A slop job there won't stop anything else in the interior from functioning because there's nothing there to begin with. Hell, it doesn't even have cruise control.

And that's the appeal with that truck. Remember how I mentioned in another thread the desire for something without power door locks, windows, or cruise control with a hose out floorboard? That fits the bill perfectly. While I'd rather have those traits in a Jeep, I like the GMT-400 K5 Blazer/Tahoe Sport just as well. Something that basic is a rarity these days. In this case, I'm not going to be exceptionally picky.

The jury's out on whether or not that's rust behind in the rear quarter panel. It looked like a little dirt to me. It's hard to tell from a low-res photo like that.

So, it needs a new fuel pump, "water hose" (whatever that's supposed to mean; maybe a new hose from the radiator), and possibly has a redneck-rigged stereo. That's far from project car hell to me. I need to get my hands dirty with replacing an in-tank fuel pump anyway since modern cars don't have them conveniently placed on the front of the block and held in with two bolts like the Cutlass's Rocket 350.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. Of course, I don't have the full asking price, so it's not like I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy it (besides, it isn't worth $1,500 anyway). If I did buy it, it's not like I have to depend on it. I did just fix the Astra, after all.

Edited by black-knight

I think it still has merit.

Yeah, they may have done their own hack job on wiring the headunit in. I noticed the missing filler panels on the dash fascia when I looked through the ad earlier. If they bypassed the wiring harness, yeah it could get messy, but it's nothing that can't be sorted out. I've wired up enough aftermarket stereos in my previous cars to know what to fix if there's an issue. Plus, a hack installation could only warrant an ignition issue, which could be easily reversed. A slop job there won't stop anything else in the interior from functioning because there's nothing there to begin with. Hell, it doesn't even have cruise control.

And that's the appeal with that truck. Remember how I mentioned in another thread the desire for something without power door locks, windows, or cruise control with a hose out floorboard? That fits the bill perfectly. While I'd rather have those traits in a Jeep, I like the GMT-400 K5 Blazer/Tahoe Sport just as well. Something that basic is a rarity these days. In this case, I'm not going to be exceptionally picky.

The jury's out on whether or not that's rust behind in the rear quarter panel. It looked like a little dirt to me. It's hard to tell from a low-res photo like that.

So, it needs a new fuel pump, "water hose" (whatever that's supposed to mean; maybe a new hose from the radiator), and possibly has a redneck-rigged stereo. That's far from project car hell to me. I need to get my hands dirty with replacing an in-tank fuel pump anyway since modern cars don't have them conveniently placed on the front of the block and held in with two bolts like the Cutlass's Rocket 350.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. Of course, I don't have the full asking price, so it's not like I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy it (besides, it isn't worth $1,500 anyway). If I did buy it, it's not like I have to depend on it. I did just fix the Astra, after all.

Very Cool and I can respect where you are coming from. The suspect rust is based for me on where the auto is located since that area uses rock salt on the roads and autos from the east coast always seem to have rust issues. You are right that the repairs are small if you are only looking for a backup beater. For me, I like my auto's to be show room new like so this is a project car to get it back to that state.

So what all did you end up fixing on the Astra so it is reliable again?

I had another dealership evaluate it last week. The intake camshaft sensor was weak; the exhaust camshaft and crankshaft sensors are still good. The first place that inspected it was trying to sucker me out of some money. It wasn't as expensive as I first thought, but it still nesseciatated the sale of my Gibson SG.

I like it, especially since it's a base model that you don't see all too often. Talk to Camino, as he has plenty of experience with one of these (I think his is a '95 or '96). I'd also venture to say that the current owner (or previous owner but not factory) installed the rubber bodyside mouldings, as I believe the base model Tahoe came without them (I could be mistaken though). The rims are '99-'02 Silverado base truck rims, JSYK.

I had another dealership evaluate it last week. The intake camshaft sensor was weak; the exhaust camshaft and crankshaft sensors are still good. The first place that inspected it was trying to sucker me out of some money. It wasn't as expensive as I first thought, but it still nesseciatated the sale of my Gibson SG.

Sorry you had to give up your guitar, but glad you got your car fixed and now have reliable transportation. Rock on :metal:

That's rust ahead of the rear wheel - it's the spot where it always shows up on these.

Wheels - not original

Dash - a bit of a mess

But these 2-doors rarely go for such a low price (don't hold your breath for a better deal).

Very much a base unit, but looks ok overall.

I could use a part or two off of it. :AH-HA:

If you're looking for something reliable let me share with you a little observation. The vehicles we get parts orders on more than anything else are 90's C/K trucks.

If you didn't like replacing a couple sensors on the Astra you're going to loath replacing parts on a C/K, because odds are you'll be doing it a lot.

That's due to the fact that so many are still on the road - and worth fixing.

They still hold a great deal of value for their age, even at 200 or even 300K.

And, they really aren't difficult to work on.

Their only terminal disease is rust. If that is too far along, walk away.

Very true, the ease of doing tune ups and basic maintenance is rock on with this line as it really does allow one to have a beater that just keeps on beating.

Keep in mind that he's said several times he's not really a wrencher, and being in school he probably doesn't have the time for lots of DIY repairs. Lots of alternators and starters ordered.

As well, while the number of them old plays a part in their frequency, the F-150, though common a common order, is less common for parts orders than the C/Ks and we all know how many of those Ford has sold.

Interesting enough is that while Ford does sell a bit more trucks than GM in Washington state, according to the DOT web site, it seems there is far more older GM's on the road than Fords. Tends to make you think about who really has the most dependable longest lasting trucks.

AHEM.

Now settle down, children.

Keep in mind that he's said several times he's not really a wrencher, and being in school he probably doesn't have the time for lots of DIY repairs.

Well, I would like to set about changing that fact soon and I don't see a better way of doing that without buying some sort of beater or light project car. Like I said, I don't feel comfortable working on the Astra aside from doing an oil or maybe a spark plug change simply because it's a little too complex for my liking at this point and parts are far from plentiful and cheap. As for my personal schedule, I'm in class three days a week and I typically only work three or four days a week for anywhere between 4 to 8 hours. Indeed, I stay busy and, sure, I don't feel like doing much when I'm running my entire action-packed day on three hours of sleep, but I know I could still somehow manage to work out setting aside some time to devote to a new hobby or project or learning a new skill.

AHEM.

Now settle down, children.

Keep in mind that he's said several times he's not really a wrencher, and being in school he probably doesn't have the time for lots of DIY repairs.

Well, I would like to set about changing that fact soon and I don't see a better way of doing that without buying some sort of beater or light project car. Like I said, I don't feel comfortable working on the Astra aside from doing an oil or maybe a spark plug change simply because it's a little too complex for my liking at this point and parts are far from plentiful and cheap. As for my personal schedule, I'm in class three days a week and I typically only work three or four days a week for anywhere between 4 to 8 hours. Indeed, I stay busy and, sure, I don't feel like doing much when I'm running my entire action-packed day on three hours of sleep, but I know I could still somehow manage to work out setting aside some time to devote to a new hobby or project or learning a new skill.

That Rocks! :metal: Learning to fix your own auto will save you ton's down the road.