Industry News: AM General Goes Forward With C-Series Humvee Kit

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 31, 2012

Back in August, we reported on the rumor that AM General would be offering a kit kit of the C-Series HMMWV, or Humvee. This week, AM General has come out and announced they will be selling a C-Series HMMWV kit.

The C-Series HMMWV kit includes a frame, painted body (your choice of either khaki, dark military green, or sand), cooling package, wiring harnesses, fuel tanks, seating, front and rear Torsen differentials, and top. The only thing you'll need to provide is a powertrain and transmission. This allows AM General to avoid anti-pollution laws and fees. This also allows the kit to be offered at a lower price.

“All the basics for the kit are supplied. We have provided the core components and allow the kit builder to source their powertrain, wheels, tires, and even the audio system of their choice,” said William Thompson, C-Series kit program manager.

TheC-Series HMMWV kit will start at $59,995. If you're interested in a C-Series HMMWV kit, you can place an order for one with a refundable deposit of $5,995 (works around to about 10% of the base price tag).

There is a caveat to this announcement though. AM General says C-Series HMMWV kit will only go forward if there is enough interest from customers. A formal decision will be made by March 30, 2013. If given the green light, kits will begin shipping sometime in June.

Source: Automobile

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

WOW, totally cool, but I am concerned this will die on the vine as with this global economy, I question is now is the right time to offer a kit like this. Many of us would love to have a hummer kit to go on our favorite 4x4 setup, yet I am in no position to spend money on a project like this till I see stability in the national and global job market. Rather sit on my money and save it in case I need it to live.

GM's engine options for the H1 sucked anyway. At 60K, one can probably build a better Hummer for less than the 100K it sold for. The proper powerplant for the Hummer should have been the LML 397 hp / 765 lb-ft 6.6L Duramax turbo-diesel with the MW7 Allison 1000 6-speed auto.

• Agree 1