• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

dfelt

Best 2013 SuperBowl Commercial

So companies this week have been rolling out the commercials leading up to SuperBowl Sunday.

Have you watched any yet and have a favorite?

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/how-will-audi-s-super-bowl-commercial-end--you-decide--181755230.html;_ylt=AhC9VB5XUIFJWztrjZN_WcuOJvJ_;_ylu=X3oDMTNvNXFsY2w3BG1pdAMEcGtnAzNiZTg3ZGFmLWFjMDEtMzdjYS1hMTZlLWExYTYwNmVkZjViMQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDTWVkaWFCQ2Fyb3VzZWxNaXhlZExQQ0EEdmVyA2Q0NTk4YmMyLTZhMzctMTFlMi1iYmZjLTUxNWE4ZjNmYWZmYw--;_ylv=3

Yahoo has a section that allows you to start watching, so far I have to say that VW commercials are a dud. Reggie and Be Happy are not going to sell me a car.

On the other Hand I have only watched 1 of the Audi commercials and it was the Prom one which I loved.

Sound off on what commercials are making you laugh and which ones do you love?

Will GM be able to top themselves with Dave having lost his life because he drove a Ford?

So please post which is your over all favorite commercial and which is your favorite Auto Commercial!

I try and never watch the Super Bowl ads until the game itself... more fun that way.

But you miss out on all the variations that are way to funny. Almost every vendor has 3-5 commercials and are running contest to pick the best one for Sunday. Without seeing them you do not know what you have missed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      If there is one bright spot in Volkswagen, it has to be their commercial division. Through August, the division has seen sales increase 8.2 percent to 308,500 models. With their success, it should come as no surprise they are considering moving into other markets such as the U.S.
      Eckhard Scholz, Volkswagen's commercial vehicles division CEO tells Reuters that the United States "are still a highly interesting market." A lot of this comes from many commercial vehicle manufacturers operating in the U.S. are taking ideas from their European counterparts. But when asked about possibly selling vehicles in the U.S., Scholz said,
      "A lot of things come to mind but at the moment I have nothing concrete to say."
      Volkswagen's commercial division handles the Caddy, Transporter, and Crafter vans, along with the Amarok pickup. 
      This isn't the first time that Volkswagen has considered bringing over some of their commercial vehicles. Last year, then CEO of Volkswagen of America, Michael Horn said the automaker was looking at possibly bringing over one of their vans into the U.S.
      But there is a big elephant in the room; the diesel emission scandal. A fair number of commercial vehicle buyers like diesel engines for fuel economy and the ability to handle heavy loads. But Volkswagen may have a very difficult time trying to get diesel engines certified in the U.S. They might have to go with gas engines for the time being which could limit their appeal. 
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Even though electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles are still outliers in the automotive marketplace, 2013 saw a massive increase in sales. The Detroit News reports that the sales of electrics and plug-in hybrid vehicles increased 84 percent to just over 96,000 vehicles according to data from Wards Automotive. Of that total, 47,600 were electric vehicles, representing a 241 percent increase when compared to 2012. The remainder was plug-in hybrids, up 27 percent.
      Some of the increase can be attributed to improving battery technology and the massive increase of sales for the Tesla Model S. But what really helped sales of electric and plug-in vehicles was price cuts. Nearly every automaker who sells one has cut the price tag and most have seen increases in sales.
      The Detroit News also points out electrics and plug-in vehicles could have hard time this year with gas prices projected to be lower than in past years.
      Source: The Detroit News
      William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Author's Note: With 2013 coming to a close in a couple of weeks, we've decided to clear out the remaining 2013 vehicle reviews this week. Everyday a new review will appear on the front page. If you miss one day, don't worry, we'll have links to the previous reviews just below. -WM
      Monday: Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV
      Tuesday: Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD
      Wednesday: Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD
      Thursday: Toyota Land Cruiser
      Toyota's hybrid lineup here in the U.S. covers both extremes. On one end is the Toyota Prius c, the cheapest and most fuel efficient hybrid model in the lineup. On the other end is the Lexus LS 600h L, the pinnacle of Toyota and Lexus engineering. Here is a model that is the most powerful hybrid that is on sale and the most expensive one as well. The 2013 LS 600h L starts off at $119,910. Let's dive into an alternate reality and figure out whether or not LS 600h L is worth the coin or not.
      2013 saw Lexus giving the LS lineup a bit of a facelift to make it look more dynamic. Up front, the now common spindle grille has been fitted and features a metal slat insert with chrome trim running along the outer edge. A new set of LED headlights sit on either side of the grille. The side profile retains the greenhouse as seen on the 2006 model, but now features chrome trim along the sills and a set of nineteen-inch wheels. The back end gets a bit of a nip and tuck, along with a set of LED lights.

Now the L in the LS 600h L means that this model is a long-wheelbase. A standard LS has a length of 200 inches and rides on a wheelbase of 116.9 inches. The LS 600h L has a length of 205 inches and rides on a wheelbase of 121.7 inches, increases of 5 and 4.8 inches respectively. The only way you can tell that you're looking at the long-wheelbase LS besides parking it next to a standard LS is looking at the longer rear door.
      The LS 600h L's interior is a lesson in how to build one that is very luxurious and elegant. Materials are all high-quality choices ranging from cream leather on the seats and dash to real wood trim along the door panels and dash board. The front seats have to be the most comfortable I have ever sat in with the balance between comfort and firmness being just right. There are a number of adjustments available via the sixteen-way power seat and power adjustable seatbelt to make yourself fit right in.
      The center stack features a high-resolution 12.3 inch screen and houses Lexus' Enform infotainment system. Much like the GS 350 F-Sport I drove earlier this year, the LS 600h L's screen is divided into two parts. The majority of the screen is dedicated to navigation, media, climate, and trip information. The remaining part is dedicated to what's playing and climate. I really like this setup and hope more automakers who put bigger screens into vehicles consider this. What I don't like about the infotainment system is Lexus' Remote Touch. As I have said before in the RX 350 and GS 350 reviews, the system is good in theory, but in the real world it falls flat. The joystick controller is finicky to use, and you have to pay close attention to make sure the cursor is over the item you want and not something else. On the move, the problems are exacerbated since you have to take your eyes off the road to make sure you are going into the selection you want. There is some hope though as Lexus revealed a new Remote Touch system in the upcoming RC coupe that features a touchpad and not a joystick. I can only hope that this version makes its way into other Lexus vehicles.

If you think the front is impressive, you haven't seen what's in store for the back seat passengers. For starters, the extra length gives you loads of legroom to stretch out and relax. This particular tester came equipped with the Executive-Class Seating Package. For the asking price of $7,555.00 , the LS 600h L becomes a vehicle you want to be driven in and not drive. This package nets you the following:
      Adjustable Rear Seats (Backseat passenger gets an ottoman)
      Heated, Cooled, and Massaging Seats
      Blu-Ray Entertainment system
      Controls for media and climate control system
      Electric Sun Shades
      Pop-Up Table
      Cool Box

With this package, it's a fight of who gets to sit back here. Anyone can find a comfortable position in the back thanks to the number of adjustments on offer. The ottoman is more of a gimmick than something you'll actually use since there isn't enough space to fully have it up, even with the front passenger seat moved all the way forward. Other features such as the sun shades and blue-ray player are nice and make the experience of riding in this car magical.

Your Seat is Waiting

See the next page for powertrain and driving impressions.

Under the hood of the LS 600h L is the most powerful version of Lexus' Hybrid Synergy Drive system. A 5.0L V8 engine with 389 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque is paired with a 165 kW electric motor. Total output stands at 438 horsepower. A Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery pack provides the power to the electric motor. Lexus employs a CVT to get the power down to all four wheels.
      Despite the LS 600h L weighing 5,202 pounds, the powertrain is more than capable of getting this off the line quickly. As I was told at the launch of the 2013 LS, the hybrid powertrain has the power delivery of a V12 engine and I can attest that it does. Power comes on very smooth and effortless. If you decide to floor the pedal, you're rewarded with the LS 600h L moving like a bat of out of hell. As for the CVT, it is very smooth and unobtrusive. For a few times, I thought I was driving an automatic and not a CVT. The only giveaway that you are driving a CVT is the pitch of the transmission getting louder and louder if you floor the pedal.

Being a hybrid vehicle, you would expect amazing fuel economy coming from this big sedan. But in the case of the the LS 600h L, that isn't true at all. The EPA rates the 2013 LS 600h L at 19 City/23 Highway/20 Combined. To put that into perspective, the the 2013 LS 460 L with AWD is rated at 16 City/23 Highway/18 Combined. Not that much improvement compared to the standard gas model. Somehow I was able to get an average of 22 MPG for the week.
      Ride and handling duties are done with an air suspension and Lexus' Drive Mode Selector. For the LS 600h L, you have the choice of six different modes:
      Normal: Standard throttle mapping and suspension tuning, gearshifts tuned for comfort.
      Comfort: Softens Suspension Tuning
      Eco: Slower throttle mapping, reduced operation of the climate control
      EV Mode: Allows a vehicle to travel on electric power for a short distance
      Sport: Quicker throttle mapping, stiffer suspension tuning
      Sport+: Much quicker throttle mapping, even stiffer suspension tuning, heavier steering, number of powertrain enhancements

Now I only tried Sport and Sport+ briefly in the LS 600h L and wondered why these setting were even put in. There is a noticeable difference in the stiffness of the suspension and throttle response, but trying to push around a vehicle that has an overall length of 205 inches isn't a good idea at all. The passengers in the back seat who are getting flung around would agree with this.

Where's the Rinse Cycle?
      Instead, I found myself switching between Normal, Comfort, and Eco for the week and being surprised at how comfortable this vehicle can be. In Normal or Eco, the air suspension isolates bumps and kinks on the road. In Comfort, the suspension takes that a step further, proving a ride that feels like you're driving on glass. Wind and road noise in the cabin are non-existent.
      As for the LS 600h L's steering, it has a surprising amount of weight and feel. I was expecting the steering to be light and have no feel. Not so in the LS and I appreciated that very much.
      After spending a week in the alternate-reality field of the LS 600h L, I have come to this conclusion: most reviews of the LS 600h L focus on the hybrid part and say that for fuel economy improvements the hybrid system offers, the LS 600h L doesn't make any real sense and you would better off with the standard LS 460 L or a competitor. I would agree with this, but I think the LS 600h L needs to be looked in a different light. The LS 600h L wasn't built for to be driven in. It was built for those who want be driven and not have everyone notice you. That's where the LS 600h L succeeds.
      I just wonder how many people who fit this classification exist.

Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the LS 600h L, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2013
      Make: Lexus
      Model: LS 600h L
      Trim: N/A
      Engine: Lexus Hybrid Synergy Drive: 5.0L 32-Valve V8 with VVT-iE, 650 Volt Electric Motor, Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) Battery Pack
      Driveline: All-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: (Gas) 389 @ 6,400; (Electric) 221 @ 0; (Combined) 434
      Torque @ RPM: (Gas) 385 @ 4,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/23/20
      Curb Weight: 5,202 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $119,110.00
      As Tested Price: $135,029.00 (Includes $895.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Executive-Class Seating Package - $7,555.00
      Advance Pre-Collision System - $6,500.00
      Trunk Mat - $105.00
      Cargo Net - $64.00
      William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.comor you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Author's Note: With 2013 coming to a close in a couple of weeks, we've decided to clear out the remaining 2013 vehicle reviews this week. Everyday a new review will appear on the front page. If you miss one day, don't worry, we'll have links to the previous reviews just below. -WM
      Wednesday: Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD
      Friday: Lexus LS 600h L
      In this age of crossovers, the Toyota Land Cruiser is a bit of dinosaur. It rides on a ladder-frame and not a uni-body platform. Power comes from a big V8 engine and not a downsized V6 with turbochargers. It features a full-time four-wheel drive system with a load of off-road technologies but not an all-wheel drive system.
      There has to be a reason why the Land Cruiser exists. After spending a week in one, I might have the reason.

The Land Cruiser's exterior can trace its roots back to the 1998 model as the two models share an overall profile. The front end is slightly angled and features a large grille and headlights with LEDs. Along the side are embellished front and rear fenders that have a set of five-spoke eighteen-inch wheels wrapped in meaty off-road tires sitting underneath. There is also a large glass area and chrome trim along the door panels. The back end has a split opening tailgate and more chrome trim pieces. Compared to its contemporaries (Range Rover and Mercedes-Benz GL), the Land Cruiser is somewhat plain looking.Inside, the decision was made to have durability as the priority, followed by luxury. This is very clear when looking at the materials used as most can be classified as hard and plastic. The wood trim seen in the photos is described by Toyota as "wood-grain-style trim". Now for what the Land Cruiser costs ($79,728 as tested), I was expecting a bit more luxury. But after giving it some thought and taking into account what the Land Cruiser is built for (tackling the Amazon rainforest for example), I'm ok with the decisions since the materials will last a long time and are easy to clean up.

The seating arrangement in the Land Cruiser is for eight people which is somewhat surprising since it is smaller than the largest Toyota SUV, the Sequoia. Compared to the Sequoia, the Land Cruiser rides on a wheelbase that 9.8 inches shorter and overall length is 10.2 inches shorter. The front features two bucket seats with power adjustments and heat. I found the seats mostly comfortable, though I was wishing for more thigh support. The second row features seating for three people via a bench seat. Head and legroom is excellent and there is heat for the seats. The third row is a different story. To begin, the seats are folded up like jump seats that you might find in a military airplane. Once the seats are folded down and put yourself back there, you find out that legroom is non-existent and the seating position isn't comfortable at all.
      One of the saving graces of the Land Cruiser has to be the amount of equipment that comes standard. There is four-zone climate control, six-inch touchscreen with Toyota's Entune infotainment system, navigation, 14-speaker JBL premium sound system, privacy glass, auto-dimming mirrors, and smart key access.

How do I get the seats down?

For impressions on the powertrain and ride, see the next page.

Under the hood is a 5.7L V8 engine that is also used in the Lexus LX 570 (sister SUV), Toyota Sequoia, and Tundra pickup. This engine produces 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic gets the power to all four wheels via full-time four-wheel drive system. To say I was bit concerned about how the engine would fare is a understatement. The Land Cruiser tips the scales at 5,730 pounds and I was thinking that the V8 wouldn't have the oomph to move it. I shouldn't have thought that as the V8 is more than capable of moving it. Acceleration is very brisk and I never had the feeling that more power was needed at all. As an added bonus, the 5.7L is muted when at idle and utters a murmured growled when climbing the rev range. The six-speed automatic is smooth going through the gears and didn't show any signs of gear hunting.

For the 2013 model year, Toyota decided to ante up the Land Cruiser's off-road credentials. First is the introduction of the Multi-Terrain Select system that modulates the amount of wheelspin to help get the vehicle though varying terrain conditions. The other addition is CRAWL Control with an Off-Road Turn Assist. This system allows the driver to choose from five different settings that regulates acceleration (going forward or backwards) and braking to let a driver focus on getting the vehicle through rough or steep grades. This system also utilizes the hill decent control and accent control. Sadly I didn't get the chance to try any of these systems out during my time with the Land Crusier.Now with a big V8 engine and a full-time four-wheel drive system, the Land Cruiser has no problem sucking down gas. The EPA rates the Land Cruiser at 13 City/18 Highway/15 Combined. My average for the week landed at 15 MPG.
      For the suspension, Toyota employs a double-wishbone setup with gas shocks and a hollow stabilizer bar for the front, and a four-link, coil-spring with lateral-rod setup in the rear. Toyota also employs a system called Kinetic Dynamic Suspension which uses hydraulic cylinders to put pressure on the swaybars to increase or decrease the stiffness. On-road, the system increases pressure to help reduce body roll when cornering. Off-road, the system reduces pressure to increase wheel travel.
      The Land Cruiser's on-road ride is better than I was expecting. On smooth and rough surfaces, the Land Cruise glides along effortlessly. Road noise is non-existent and wind noise is kept at a decent level. Show the Land Cruiser a corner and you'll have a feeling of motion sickness. There is noticeable body roll and lean when going around corners. All large SUVs exhibit this, but most competitors do a much better job of reducing roll.

Look Mom, I'm off-roading!
      The 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser is very old school in many ways, but there is a reason for it. The Land Cruiser has a reputation of being a vehicle that can take you anywhere. In that regard, it makes sense why Toyota made certain decisions for this model. If you are looking for a vehicle to get you across the Sahara desert or the Rocky Mountains, there is no better choice than the Land Cruiser. But if you're looking for a SUV to just drive around and not go off-road, the Land Cruiser is just too much 'SUV' for that.
      Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Land Cruiser, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Make: Toyota
      Model: Land Cruiser
      Trim: N/A
      Engine: 5.7L, 32-valve DOHC V8 with dual independent VVT-i
      Driveline: Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive, Six-Speed Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/18/15
      Curb Weight: 5,730 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Toyota City, Japan
      Base Price: $78,555.00
      As Tested Price: $79,728.00 (Includes $845.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      All-Weather Floor & Cargo Mats - $250.00
      Cargo Net - $49.00
      First Aid Kit - $29.00
      William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.comor you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      William Maley
      Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com
      December 18, 2013
      Thursday: Toyota Land Cruiser
      Friday: Lexus LS 600h L
      A few weeks ago, I reviewed the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and really came away impressed. Now I was wondering how the larger brother, the 2013 Santa Fe would fare. Well I have an answer to that as I spent a week in the 2013 Santa Fe Limited AWD.
      Explaining the styling of the Santa Fe is pretty simple. Take a Santa Fe Sport and stretch out like taffy: Voilà, you have the Santa Fe. Compared to the Sport, the 2013 Santa Fe rides on a wheelbase that is 3.9 inches longer and overall length is 8.5 inches longer. Aside from different measurements, the models share many design cues. The front end features a large grille that I found to be almost too big and a set of distinctly-shaped headlights. The side profile reveals body sculpting, a bold character line, and a set of nineteen-inch alloy wheels. Compared to the Veracruz, Hyundai's first attempt at a seven-seat crossover, the new Santa Fe looks much more stylish.

The story inside for the Santa Fe is almost similar to the Santa Fe Sport. It is a pleasant place to be with lots of soft touch materials along the door panels and dashboard. A couple pieces of wood trim along the dash add a nice contrasting touch. However a couple areas in the Santa Fe such as the release for the center console lid showed signs of wear and made me wonder about some of the materials used. Now this being a media car, I know they have a rough and tumble life. But with this Santa Fe having just under 7,000 miles and showing signs of wear, it makes me wonder what this vehicle would be like in a few years time.The center stack is comprised of a large eight-inch touchscreen that comes as part of the $2,900 Technology Package that includes navigation and Hyundai's BlueLink telematics system. As I said before, Hyundai's infotainment system has to be one of the fastest systems on the marketplace today. It also is one the easiest to use with a simple interface and large touch points. If you don't opt for the tech package, a 4.3-inch screen sits in that space and looks a bit odd. Underneath are controls for the HVAC system which are easy to understand and use.
      There is an odd thing about the seating arrangement in the Santa Fe lineup. The base GLS trim only comes with seating for seven-people via a second-row bench, while the Limited trim comes with seating for six thanks to two captain chairs. You can't option for six seats in the GLS or seven in the Limited. I'm wondering why Hyundai decided to give only one choice dependent on the trim. My best guess? Keep it simple. Comfort wise, head and legroom are excellent for the second-row. The third-row is best reserved for small kids or folded into the floor to expand cargo space from 13.5 Cubic Feet to 40.9 Cubic Feet.

See the next page for thoughts on the powertrain and ride.

Under the hood is Hyundai's 3.3L GDI V6 engine with 290 horsepower and 252 pound-feet of torque. This is mated to a six-speed automatic to either the front wheels or our tester's optional all-wheel drive system. As I have said previously on the 3.3L V6, it moves any vehicle with authority. The Santa Fe is no exception. This engine is also very refined with not much noise coming from the engine bay. The six-speed automatic is quick on up and downshifts, and provides a seamless transition between them.

Fuel economy wise, the 2013 Santa Fe with AWD is rated by the EPA at 18 City/24 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed around 21 MPG.The suspension duties are taken up by a set of MacPherson struts up front and a compact multi-link independent setup at the rear. This setup provides a very comfortable ride with most bumps and imperfections being ironed out. Take into consideration that this Santa Fe was equipped with the nineteen-inch alloy wheels and this suspension setup is more impressive.
      Hyundai has fitted the Santa Fe with their Driver-Selectable Steering Modes which can vary the steering weight from light (Comfort) to heavy (Sport). As I have said previously, I don't like this system since Comfort and Sport are on the extreme ends and really doesn't improve the driving experience. I found myself leaving it in normal and being happy with it.
      Much like the Santa Fe Sport, I found myself being impressed with the Santa Fe. Hyundai focused on the key areas that many buyers are looking for in a crossover; value for money, space, and comfort. This would be a crossover I would recommend to anyone.

There is a 'but' to this review. As I said earlier, this Santa Fe showed signs of wear and tear at such a low amount of miles which makes me question some of the material choices and therefore quality. I'm wondering if this was a fluke and other Santa Fes don't show signs like this. If so, I would say Hyundai has done an excellent job on the Santa Fe and its worth a look. If not, then I think it's time for Hyundai to be asking some tough questions.

Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Santa Fe Limited, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Santa Fe
      Trim: Limited AWD
      Engine: 3.3L GDI DOHC 24-valve V6
      Driveline: All-Wheel Drive, Six-Speed Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 290 @ 6,400
      Torque @ RPM: 252 @ 5,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/24/20
      Curb Weight: 4,297 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, Korea
      Base Price: $34,850.00
      As Tested Price: $38,730.00 (Includes $845.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Technology Package - $2,900.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00

View full article
  • My Clubs