Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Mini News: Mini Lineup To Grow To Ten, No New Body Styles Though

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 16, 2013

We known for a time that the Mini lineup would be growing to ten models, but we weren't quite sure how that would happen. Well Car and Driver had the chance to talk with Mini U.S. product planning manager Patrick McKenna about the possibilities.

Model eight is the new Mini Clubvan, while nine and ten will not be a new body style. Instead, nine and ten will be a front-wheel-drive hybrid and a second-generation electric Mini, both based on the three-door Cooper.

Also in the pipeline is the new Cooper which will debut in November and come with a turbocharged three-cylinder engine and a next-generation Clubman.

One model that will not be coming is the Rocketman, that has been canned.

Source: Car and Driver

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

What, no cheeky little pickup?

Blah, the bulk of the Mini Lovers have their cars and now they are just putting frosting on the same old tired Mule and it will cost them. I do not see them increasing sales but canibalizing existing sales with no gain.

^ Agreed; the 'trip down memory lane' has played it's hand, and Mini is locked into the look so rigidly they are unable to deviate from it. That said, the design is now coming up on TWENTY YEARS OLD, with the sole MCE being an incredible mirror image. Development is dead on the vine.

If they can parlay the Mini mystique as successfully as Porsche has with their 911, they have nothing to worry about.

^ Agreed; the 'trip down memory lane' has played it's hand, and Mini is locked into the look so rigidly they are unable to deviate from it. That said, the design is now coming up on TWENTY YEARS OLD, with the sole MCE being an incredible mirror image. Development is dead on the vine.

Twenty? Exaggerate much? The New Mini has only been out for little over a decade... besides, the original design lasted for around 40 years, so I wouldn't expect revolutionary change..

Feels like almost 20. "Went on sale July 2001" - so coming up on 12 years old. An "eternity" in the opinion of most armchair auto industry critics, who begin to sweat when a car goes without changes after 2 years.

Edited by balthazar

^ Ahh, but the mini should fit into your definition of mass-produced appliances, being FWD and all, no? ;)

Nah...it's a niche product...

Mini is FWD, but no appliance. Didn't the original pioneer the idea of FWD/transverse engine for max passenger room formula back in the 50s? So it is absolutely appropriate it has FWD... essential to concept.

That may not have been your point, Balthy, but you know wut I mean.

Mini is FWD, but no appliance. Didn't the original pioneer the idea of FWD/transverse engine for max passenger room formula back in the 50s? So it is absolutely appropriate it has FWD... essential to concept.

That may not have been your point, Balthy, but you know wut I mean.

Yes...the Mini is pretty much the original FWD subcompact...the original set the template for all that was to come. By appliances I mean bland commodity cars that the mainstream buys in volume---Camry, Malibu, Corolla, Cruze, Altima, etc...functional product that get people you point A to point B but offer nothing interesting or distinctive. The Mini is stylish and distinctive, more than a mere appliance.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. schuby87
      schuby87
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      BMW Group U.S. Reports January 2018 Sales
      BMW Group sales increase 3.5 percent in January 2018. BMW brand sales increase 5 percent. MINI brand sales decrease 5.6 percent. Sales of BMW Group electrified vehicles total 1,145 in January 2018, accounting for 5.2 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – February 1, 2018… Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 5 percent in January 2018 for a total of 19,016 compared to 18,109 vehicles sold in January 2017.
      Most notably, the new BMW 5 Series showed strong growth for the seventh straight month, with 2,456 vehicles sold – nearly 10 percent of which were the BMW 530e iPerformance plug-in hybrid electric variant. The all-new BMW X3, which came to market in November, also performed well with 2,954 vehicles sold.
      “Our newest products continue to be very well received by consumers, which has helped us carry the momentum that we created in 2017 into 2018 and given us a great start to the New Year,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “We have many new products to launch in 2018, starting with the first-ever, and much anticipated BMW X2 which will begin appearing on showroom floors later this month for its sales debut in early March.”
      MINI Brand Sales
      For January, MINI USA reported 2,937 vehicles sold, a decrease of 5.6 percent from the 3,110 sold in the same month a year ago.
      BMW Group Sales
      In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported January sales of 21,953 vehicles, an increase of 3.5 percent from the 21,219 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago.
      BMW Group Electrified Vehicle Sales
      Electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles sales totaled 1,145 vehicles, accounting for 5.2 percent of BMW Group vehicles sales in January.
      BMW currently offers six electrified models in the U.S., including the BMW i3 and BMW i8, as well as the BMW i Performance models: BMW 330e, BMW 530e, BMW 740e and the BMW X5 xDrive 40e. MINI offers the MINI Countryman plug-in-hybrid electric vehicle.

• By William Maley
      BMW appears to be making a number of changes to future plans once again. According to a report from Automobile Magazine, a number of BMW i models have been canned. They include a proposed i9 flagship sedan (replaced by a slightly smaller i7 sedan), the i5 which was supposed to arrive in 2023, and an even larger version of the i3. Other plans that reportedly been canceled include a supercar plan with McLaren and new vehicle architecture with Diamler.
      The situation is somewhat worse at Mini. Automobile said plans for a joint development of a new small car platform with Toyota have fallen through. It was expected this platform would have underpin the next-generation Mini Cooper. According to some sources, BMW is working a deal with Chinese automaker Great Wall about developing a new platform for Mini.
      Other details from Automobile's report,
      The follow-up to the i3 will be renamed the iX1 Plans are being drawn up for an electric version of the next Rolls-Royce Ghost There is talk about a new model that "defines the BMW brand in the 21st century." It could be a reskin of the i8 with bigger batteries and a turbo-four; keeping the i8's central structure and adding new front and rear ends, along with a four-cylinder; or designing a new model that will feature the choice of three different electric motors and either 3.0L inline-six or a V8 engine with 600 horsepower Source: Automobile Magazine

View full article
    • By William Maley
      BMW appears to be making a number of changes to future plans once again. According to a report from Automobile Magazine, a number of BMW i models have been canned. They include a proposed i9 flagship sedan (replaced by a slightly smaller i7 sedan), the i5 which was supposed to arrive in 2023, and an even larger version of the i3. Other plans that reportedly been canceled include a supercar plan with McLaren and new vehicle architecture with Diamler.
      The situation is somewhat worse at Mini. Automobile said plans for a joint development of a new small car platform with Toyota have fallen through. It was expected this platform would have underpin the next-generation Mini Cooper. According to some sources, BMW is working a deal with Chinese automaker Great Wall about developing a new platform for Mini.
      Other details from Automobile's report,
      The follow-up to the i3 will be renamed the iX1 Plans are being drawn up for an electric version of the next Rolls-Royce Ghost There is talk about a new model that "defines the BMW brand in the 21st century." It could be a reskin of the i8 with bigger batteries and a turbo-four; keeping the i8's central structure and adding new front and rear ends, along with a four-cylinder; or designing a new model that will feature the choice of three different electric motors and either 3.0L inline-six or a V8 engine with 600 horsepower Source: Automobile Magazine
    • By William Maley
      Since last year, we've been hearing various rumors of Ford cutting a number of passenger cars. In October, Ford CEO Jim Hackett said various cuts were incoming, including ones for the vehicle lineup. This would be part of a $7 billion shift of development funds from passenger cars to SUVs/Trucks. At the time, Ford wouldn't say what vehicles would be cut.
      During Ford's fourth-quarter and 2017 earnings call, Hackett said details about which models would be cut would finally be revealed later this year. Analysts hoping to get an answer were frustrated by this news.
      Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi late last year and is planning to end production of the C-Max Hybrid sometime later this year. Other models that have been rumored to be cut include the Fiesta, Taurus, and recently the Fusion. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Since last year, we've been hearing various rumors of Ford cutting a number of passenger cars. In October, Ford CEO Jim Hackett said various cuts were incoming, including ones for the vehicle lineup. This would be part of a $7 billion shift of development funds from passenger cars to SUVs/Trucks. At the time, Ford wouldn't say what vehicles would be cut.
      During Ford's fourth-quarter and 2017 earnings call, Hackett said details about which models would be cut would finally be revealed later this year. Analysts hoping to get an answer were frustrated by this news.
      Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi late last year and is planning to end production of the C-Max Hybrid sometime later this year. Other models that have been rumored to be cut include the Fiesta, Taurus, and recently the Fusion. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required)
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook