Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

GM News: GM CEO Wants Lighter Vehicles, Promises A 200 Mile Electric Vehicle

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 7, 2013

General Motors CEO Dan Akerson made some ambitious announcements at a energy conference in Houston, TX on Wednesday.

For starters, Akerson said General Motors has a goal of reducing vehicle weight by 15% by 2016. This will be accomplished by using lightweight materials like aluminum, carbon fiber, and magnesium. Akerson says the move to lightweight materials could improve fuel economy by more than 6.5%.

Akerson also said the company is working on two electric vehicles; one that comes with a 100 Mile range and another vehicle with a 200 Mile range.

"There will be breakthroughs in battery technology, they're on the horizon. We're actually developing a car today which is really anathema to the way the auto industry works: We're running a dual play on the technology to see which one will succeed. One will result in" a 100-mile range, "the other will be a 200-mile range," Akerson said.

While GM is embracing its green and efficiency side, Akerson reassured everyone that future GM models would still be desirable.

“But if you’re worried that we’re going to throw safety, comfort and performance out of the window to get there, you can breathe easy,” Akerson said.

Akerson confirmed that the automaker will continue to produce V8 engines, mostly for Camaro, Corvette, and truck customers. Akerson went onto to say that internal combustion engines will be sticking around thanks to advancements such as direct fuel injection, turbocharging, and cylinder deactivation.

Akerson also promoted commercial trucks and vans powered by compress natural gas, and called on the Obama Administration to form a commission to evaluate the nation’s energy framework every five years for the next three decades.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

I like what he is saying! :) CNG All The Way. :)

I like the comments he makes about AFM. They might as well get rid of the V8 as far as im concerned because any GM V8 engine or any engine for that matter that has AFM is dead to me.

It's a terrible system that's rough, makes the engine gutless (especially in my area), and in some cases causes the engine to use oil. I hated driving my last truck so much because of it that I had to off it for my current truck with the 6.2L which drives how a truck should drive.

Now they have to continue to shove it down my throat by shoving it on every new truck engine including the V6! I'll be holding on to my current truck until I go to my grave.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      General Motors had a field day when Ford switched from metal to aluminum for their truck beds. The company ran a series of ads showing how their metal beds could stand up to the rigors of a pickup truck's life compared to the Ford's. So it seems slightly ironic that GM is planning to use a lightweight material for their next-generation truck beds.
      The Wall Street Journal and Automotive News have learned from sources that GM is planning to use carbon fiber in their full-size pickup beds. According to one source, carbon fiber will be part of a mix of different materials, including aluminum. The move makes sense as stricter fuel economy regulations come into effect. Finding ways to cut down on weight is a good way to boost fuel economy.
      There is a big issue with carbon fiber, price. The material is very expensive to produce due to the long, labor-intensive process. The Journal reports that at first, the beds would be used on the premium versions of the trucks (High Country and Denali). It would trickle down to lower trims as "more efficient production processes" come online.
      The new beds are expected to debut within the next two years.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      General Motors had a field day when Ford switched from metal to aluminum for their truck beds. The company ran a series of ads showing how their metal beds could stand up to the rigors of a pickup truck's life compared to the Ford's. So it seems slightly ironic that GM is planning to use a lightweight material for their next-generation truck beds.
      The Wall Street Journal and Automotive News have learned from sources that GM is planning to use carbon fiber in their full-size pickup beds. According to one source, carbon fiber will be part of a mix of different materials, including aluminum. The move makes sense as stricter fuel economy regulations come into effect. Finding ways to cut down on weight is a good way to boost fuel economy.
      There is a big issue with carbon fiber, price. The material is very expensive to produce due to the long, labor-intensive process. The Journal reports that at first, the beds would be used on the premium versions of the trucks (High Country and Denali). It would trickle down to lower trims as "more efficient production processes" come online.
      The new beds are expected to debut within the next two years.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)
    • By Drew Dowdell
      PSA Group is demanding a refund from General Motors of between $711 million and $948 million stemming from the purchase of Opel by PSA.  PSA is claiming that GM misrepresented Opel's emissions reduction strategy during the due diligence negotiations.  
      EU Emissions regulations for 2021 set a target reduction of 130 g/km to 95 g/km.  Regulators can fine manufacturers $113 per vehicle per gram over the limit. Any vehicle at the 130 g/km limit today would see fines of $3,955 per car sold. 
      PSA claims that GM's plan for reaching that target relied on unrealistically high sales of the Opel Ampera-E, the European model of the US built Chevrolet Bolt EV, and extra rosy forecasts of diesel sales.  Opel loses $11,850 per Ampera-E sold. PSA has already cut sales of the Ampera-E in Norway and raised its price at least $6,700 for the rest of Europe.  Adding to the trouble are falling diesel sales in Europe as consumers move to less efficient gasoline engines. 
      Even during the sale negotiations, PSA was was aware that GM was forecasting Opel to miss the 95 g/km target by 3.7 grams.  Take the Ampera-E forecast of 20,000 vehicles out out of the picture and that number jumps to 6 g/km. Adjusting for falling diesel sales and Opel will miss its target by 10 grams. Such a large miss could result in fines approaching the entire purchase price of Opel ($1.54 billion).
      PSA is now speeding into production electric or plug-in hybrid variants of Opel's mainstay cars, with the entire lineup being converted to PSA platform architecture by 2024.
      PSA must now go through GM lawyers and arbitration to determine if they will get any refund from GM.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook