A4, 3-series, ATS

My father's looking for a new car and is choosing between the 320i xDrive, A4 Quattro, and ATS4.

All three have a turbo 2.0 L i4 and AWD. It's interesting to see how different the numbers are for the output, however...

BMW 320i xDrive

city l/100km 8.9
highway l/100km 5.6

hp 181
tq 199

Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T

city l/100km 9.5
highway l/100km 6.3
hp 211
tq 258

Cadillac ATS4 2.0T

city l/100km 10.3
highway l/100km 6.6
hp 272
tq 260

Optioned up this way, they are also very very close in price. ($41-42k after fees, tax, and trade)

We went out and drove all three back to back to back.

I wasn't very impressed by the touch screen on the ATS vs. the wheel navigation of the screens on the other two. The ATS screen looked smudged and dirty when we got in. It also had the least usable back seat.

To me, it's between the Audi and BMW, and I can't exactly say why but I have a small preference for the Audi.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

I agree with what Drew said, I wonder if this is a demo car that has not been kept clean and updated as the new CUE updated interface is really good compared to the prior version.

In regards to the rear seat, all three for me are the same, once it is setup for a 6'6" tall person no one can sit behind me. Is a much shorter person is driving I can fit in the back of all three but the BMW has the least amount of headroom and then it is a tie between the Audi and Cadillac.

From a Power Performance stand point, the ATS wins hands down. Far superior driving machine compared to the other two.

When I buy a car and I like that car, the back seat is of no concern to me, because it is my car and I will not be sitting back there. The seat behind the round thing with spokes is the most important seat and the passenger seat coming in a next important. If I am the passenger that is where I will be.

The Cadillac is the only one where you touch the screen, meaning it will get smudged, again and again. Audi and BMW both have the click-wheel interface. Oh, and we didn't get to experience CUE, as the dealer couldn't get the screen to work at all. I took a look and couldn't figure it out either.

As far as rear seat headroom, that is my gripe with the Cadillac. I was most comfortable in the back of the Audi, and the BMW was close behind. I had to have my head permanently over at an angle to even fit in the ATS rear seat. it's not a matter of how far back the seat is - leg room is not the issue for me, it's room for my long torso that's the problem.

The Cadillac is the only one where you touch the screen, meaning it will get smudged, again and again. Audi and BMW both have the click-wheel interface. Oh, and we didn't get to experience CUE, as the dealer couldn't get the screen to work at all. I took a look and couldn't figure it out either.

As far as rear seat headroom, that is my gripe with the Cadillac. I was most comfortable in the back of the Audi, and the BMW was close behind. I had to have my head permanently over at an angle to even fit in the ATS rear seat. it's not a matter of how far back the seat is - leg room is not the issue for me, it's room for my long torso that's the problem.

Yeah, Cadillac's touchscreens and capacitive touch buttons are fingerprint magnets. If you look in the glovebox, you'll find a microfiber cloth to clean off the smudges. Its not perfect.

As for CUE, it has been getting better.. But like I said before, you had to read the manual and play around with the system to fully get it. I'm somewhat worried the dealer couldn't get it working at all.

• 3 weeks later...