Am I crazy for considering this?

It should be no surprise that I look weekly for GMC pickups from two different generations: 1955-1959 and 1973-1987 ('89-'91 V3500). While most times the measley sum of cash available to me won't get me the trucks I find, it doesn't stop me from contemplating 'projects'. I present for discussion the following two '86 GMCs:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4234478112.html

01717_5U7JF76vK0O_600x450.jpg

00505_5u7VE2HzCcU_600x450.jpg

00g0g_9AEtM3JeDOo_600x450.jpg

86 C2500 gmc sierra, 305 nothing fancy, holley 700 dual feed carb, 700r4 trans. with b&m shift kit, corvette shift servo & 2000-2500 stall converter, trans right now will not go into gear, i know its something stupid just dont have time to mess with it. drivers side cab floor has rust along with rockers but bed is solid along with frame and it has some usual rust on the inner fenders, sitting on 33/12.50/16.5s with good tread. The rear axle is a 1 ton 14 bolt w/3:73 gears. The motor smokes but has no drivability issues other than the trans. $1200 obo possible trades, need to get this out of my yard ASAP located in Tuckahoe any other questions call or text Jeff

*Asking price: $1200

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/4267461741.html

00808_7DNMETtQA8_600x450.jpg

00505_8SE98pBWXIy_600x450.jpg

00o0o_ig7gMjDOs2R_600x450.jpg

86gmc truck. needs work. 700
As is.
Trev

*Asking price: $700

I'd want to fix up the first '86 (C2500) and use the second '86 (K1500) to make one truck. Not sure but likely would keep the C2500 a 2WD. I'd use as many parts from the K1500 to fix up and upgrade the C2500, especially if the K1500's transmission is good.

Anyone thinks this type of a project is way too big? I'm not saying I'm doing it, or even close to making that kind of decision. I saw two trucks that could potentially be one really nice rig and want some advise/insight.

Of course, there's this 1980 Sierra K3500 Dually (out of my price range) that has been calling to me too:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/4255163909.html

00909_kf37m9R0hyO_600x450.jpg

1 Ton GMC, 350 Small Block, Automatic trans, Comes with 8.5' Heavy Duty Meyers Plow, has M60 Pump, have shoes for the plow, has 6 "brand new tires" on it, Heavy Duty suspension, very solid truck, minor surface rust could on bed cab doors and hood have no rust, just replaced alternator and batteries brandnew, needs a booster which is $140 at national, leaks power steering fluid out of the booster 8ft bed, 4 wheel drive works, I can be reached at 267-374-1632 and don't try to low ball me with low offers I'm firm on the price tires alone are roughly $1600 and snow plows aren't cheap

I havbe no need for a plow, and asked the seller if he'd sell it without (he replied 'no'). Thought maybe I could get the price down a bit that way too.

I envision this from the '80 after it goes through some work:

1979_gmc__chevy_dually_k3500_2_lgw.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I don't think its too big of a project, but keep in mind that these trucks rust in places that can be hard to repair or get patches for. And in the end, you have a truck that will be worth a LOT less than those '50s GMCs you have looked at before.

You have to do a lot more poking and prodding before you buy to ensure the restoration candidate is solid and not bondo... and know exactly what parts are available (and know those parts will not always be as perfect as the OEM panels).

That said, once you are done with your donor vehicle, I likely could use a few pieces for my '76 Blazketcase.

Unfortunately, you want one of these trucks from Texas and not NJ. That way they are less likely to have the rust holes.

Or Arizona...clean bodies out here, though the interiors are often damaged by the nuclear sun...

Older trucks Southern states are usually better kept than anything from the north, unless they were garage kings. I see a lot of pristine ones here in C-FL standing besides a double wide - possibly more worth than the dwelling.

The pictures on the black one makes me think this was a home conversion job to dually and not oem stock. I suspect it was single wheel orginally and the person wanted the look of dually or they had to replace the rear differential housing and put in the wrong one.

I noticed the distortion in the dually right away. Like I said, that one's out of my price range so it's all wishing thinking. I'm a big fan of the '70s styling and color palette.

I found a '82 GMC Sierra from Alabama on sale in NJ, brought up here 2 years ago and stored in a garage. Not a fan of the '81-'82 frontend styling (turn signals in the bumper, grille style). I do like the look of the '83-'84s, but prefer the '85-'87 and '89-'91 R/V3500 of all the '80s GMCs.

There's no rush in me going for a project. Soon I hope to divert a little more cash to this under-funded stash which may allow me to go for a nicer rig. I was just curious if anyone thought that those two trucks would make one good rig in the end and if it was all worth it (initial cost, amount of work needed, and time).

I'm sure next week I'll be onto something different ;)

This '91 V3500 Crew Cab Dually is just awesome... http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Other-Dually-4x4-1991-gmc-crew-cab-dually-4-x-4-/131086665828?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e855fc864&item=131086665828&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_852wt_1362

$_57.JPG

No way is that in the budget!!!

I've asked my parents if they'd advance me my inheritence for this one:

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4277317361.html

00v0v_dORgz3TrFEC_600x450.jpg

00q0q_jASLcexG1Va_600x450.jpg

1987 GMC 4wd dually - $4000 (Holtwood)

1987 gmc dually 4 wheel drive single cab 454 400 turbo trans. Body solid interior in good condition. Runs and drives great. No emails or texts. Call 717-226-2634

Anyone close by Holtwood, PA?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74