Wicked cool Corvair Military Research Truck!

ocnblu

• 1 month later...

GM should have built it the farmers alone would have made it a hit. It does kinda remind me of a H1 profile wise or a smaller version Oshkosh. Bummed not hearing the flat 6 though. Who knows they might have built water cooled generation with the right demand, they made good power per cid for being air cooled with water it would have been great. Coulda, shoulda woulda :banghead:

• Agree 1

Single digit tire pressure that is amazing. I hardly see any technology that got transferred in modern pickups.

Like the latest snap-on tractor from John Deere, this thing would have a tremendous potential in modern day. Too bad innovation doesn't exist in modern automobile manufacturers.

• Agree 1

Thinking on this, take the 4x4 capabilities of the Hummer and this innovative design and build a GMC special purpose, limited production run on an awesome 4x4 like this. It even had good areodynamics. I would love to own one.

• They restored the Wizard of Oz footage- this seems just as worthy of resto, IMO!

• Has great stance, that's for sure.

• I see it has FAROO (Frontal Anti Roll Over Outrigger)... that's thinking ahead.

• Is there steering linkage to the bed- at times it appears to follow conventionally but the 'duck waddling' makes it look otherwise.

EDIT : I found this elsewhere : >>"When you turn the steering wheel, its 44-inch tires move with the cab, as an alternative of independently."<< but the next sentence is >>"Its front cab articulates left, appropriate and sideways more than rough terrain."<< which makes no sense.
I would like to see a diagram of how that all works.

you just know that some idiot would put the training wheels on the cab and try to run town the turnpike like that.

Modern day version would not need the training wheels, just build in the same gyro as the Segway

• They restored the Wizard of Oz footage- this seems just as worthy of resto, IMO!

• Has great stance, that's for sure.

• I see it has FAROO (Frontal Anti Roll Over Outrigger)... that's thinking ahead.

• Is there steering linkage to the bed- at times it appears to follow conventionally but the 'duck waddling' makes it look otherwise.

EDIT : I found this elsewhere : >>"When you turn the steering wheel, its 44-inch tires move with the cab, as an alternative of independently."<< but the next sentence is >>"Its front cab articulates left, appropriate and sideways more than rough terrain."<< which makes no sense.

I would like to see a diagram of how that all works.

From the limited view of that video, it looks as if the cab and bed can lock into place at speed and then unlock at lower speed. I would think there would be some inherent stability issue with a truck like that bending at the middle to steer while at highway speeds.

I don't think there'd be any stability issues. If the degree of angle doesn't get too severe --like is possible with a tractor/trailer 5th wheel & a jack knifing scenario-- I don't believe it'd be measurably different than a conventional layout. IE, geometrically speaking; the 'steering angling' is merely moved a bit rearward from a conventional location (front wheels).

AGL-4 obviously is meant for off-road/ farm/ military usage - there's no advantage to the loss of cargo capacity on the road vs. a conventional pick-up. I don't see a feasible scenario where bed swappage would be going on, unless you had a fleet of these doing regular routes, and then your better off with at least a box truck.

Edited by balthazar