Could a Corvette V8 Family of engines be used to replace all engines world wide by offering a V8, V6, V4 and V2 versions?

David

Could a Corvette family of V Engines Work?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If GM took the Corvette V8 and made a V6, V4 and V2 Engine line, would it be a solid Univeral Engine family to replace all other Gas engines?

• Yes - That would rock in both tubo and non turbo versions
    • No - The Corvette engine is only good as a V8.
    • Maybe - But I think there would be technical hurdles.

So with all the discussions that we have had about various engines and how the auto companies are pushing to standardize engine families across the world to address the tax's imposed on size, this made me wonder about why GM has never built a complete family of V engines based on the tough durable Corvette Push Rod V8.

I admit I do not have the engineering chops to dig into the fine details and invite those here that do to share with us what they think the HP, Torque and Efficiency would be like on a family of Push rod V engines. This would include my desire to know if a V2 could work as a efficient engine for the Subcompact market?

My thoughts

Base line Corvette DI V8 Push rod Engine with VVT as the Foundation.

Engine variations:

DI V6 standard

DI V6 Turbo

DI V6 Twin Turbo

DI V4 standard

DI V4 Turbo

DI V4 Twin Turbo

DI V2 standard

DI V2 Turbo

DI V2 Twin Turbo

Thoughts on this engine family?

I figure the use of 6, 8 and 10 speed Transmissions as you have to address the marketing needs even if the difference is very small between the gains of an 8 versus 10 speed transmission.

So what would the HP and Torque figures be like?

I admit I did forget about the FWD need for their own special transmissions. I think it is an interesting thought about what you could do and the V2 could allow some interesting designs that larger motors could not offer.

V2s aren't all that great from a noise-vibration standpoint. I don't think they would be acceptable in anything above a Spark or Sonic..... possibly the Volt as the onboard regenerator, thus, their application in the US would be quite limited. It could be used in countries with displacement taxes or that are big on microcars though.

I believe the best way to mount it would be in a flat configuration with the drive shaft oriented vertically and the open end of the V pointed towards the front of the car. Then run the power to a longitudinal mounted FWD transmission via a 90 degree gear. Such a setup would be extremely compact and could even be rear mounted if you wanted to get fancy with either a city car or a Corvair like sports car.