2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV Test Drive

David

G. David Felt

Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer

www.CheersandGears.com

Today started out as a day dedicated to my wife and kids as an early mothers day due to family scheduling issues and left me with a WOW factor after driving the new 2015 Escalade ESV.

So how did I end up on the Bellevue Cadillac dealership lot, My wife wanted to spend some time shopping with our Daughter Amy and our son's girlfriend. So I dropped them off at the Bellevue Mall and headed to Auto Row to see what was new and interesting. Spotted this new SUV on the front corner. It had a whopping total of 1.4 miles on the spedo when I sat in her and I left her with 24 miles total when I left.

Initial impressions are WOW Cadillac hit this one out of the ball park. The leather is top notch, dash is just amazing and the attention to fit and finish through out the interior is truly World Class Leading.

This model was a 2015 White Diamond Tri Coat model with standard running boards and the 22" gun metal grey rims.

I will start off with the dash, this Escalade has the HUD system, I was impressed to see that the HUD gave you the following options of display, MPG plus XM info, MPG plus Speed Limiter setting, MPG plus compass, or MPG plus RPM. The dash is a 21st century marvel of technology in it's presentation. It was very clear on how to change the Dash Monitor display from a computer style to an Analog style or a mix in between for me. The steering wheel had a great layout for the buttons and was very responsive. The center stack as all touch pad for your AC, Heat, Stereo, etc. You had the standard backup camera that came up on the large NAV display unit. Best part was that while this Escalade had Cruise sense braking, lane drift attention or blind spot lane changing how ever GM markets it, you had a screen that allowed one to turn off all the nanny devices. Default setting on the drive line is AWD, but you do have the option to go into true 2WD or lock in for 4WD.

One thing that was interesting to experience is the vibration in the drivers seat either on the left side or right side depending on if the sensors feel you might hit something on either side. You can experience this just by parallel parking or backing up. Also, a great improvement to keep from marking up either your back or front bumper is that with the sensors built into the bumpers you also get a graphic display in the dash showing you exactly how close you are to the specific corner or full front or rear bumper. This will save many blemishes I think unless the person really is that inattentive to their surroundings.

On the dash you have the AC/Heat control stack just under the NAV unit. If you just press on the large brushed V it lifts this whole center stack up to expose a hidden large compartment that could hold 4 Samsung Note phones and has a clear USB 3 Blue port for plugging in and charging your phone but also allowing you to tie it to the stereo so you can play the music if for some reason you do not use the Bluetooth connectivity. One thing I did like about the new Nav/Radio unit was that you just slide you finger on the brushed aluminum bar and it increased or decreased the volume if you did not use the buttons on the steering wheel. There is also an additional storage compartment on the floor center stack that can hold many things but has a traditional cigarette style outlet for chargers. The one thing I found interesting in the large center storage bin and arm rest was a SD card slot and 2 USB ports plus the 110 electrical port. You will find this also on the back by the middle seating area where you have the middle zone temperature controls and radio controls. In this same area is the traditional banana plugs for connecting a XBOX or other game console. Ports are also available back at the 3rd row seats and in the far back cargo area. Plenty of places to plug into 110 outlets or USB ports. The over head dual entertainment system was very impressive as it is only about 1/2 inch thick sticking down from the roof compared to what you would find in the 2006 Gen 1 version which was 3 inches thick. Screen is much larger looking to be about 10 inches for both units and the remote stores up in the unit so it is out of the way when you close the screen. The control can store in either the 2nd row or 3rd row unit.

Second row seats as well as 3rd row were totally comfortable for me at 6'6" tall. Drastic improvement over the Gen 2 Escalade and best of all they drivers seat now goes back down all the way to the floor giving maximum headroom. I found that with the drivers seat set for myself, I could still get in and be comfy for a long drive in the second row as well as even the third row seats. Electronic push of a button folds the second row as well as the third row seats. There is no more manual intervention or removal of the 3rd seat to maximize cargo capacity. A very impressive Item I found was the BOSE stereo system. This 16 speaker with sub-woofer was outstanding in sound and was very cool to find two speakers built into the chairs facing the occupant so that each person if you had 6 people riding each had their own total surround sound experience.

Exterior was a tight fit and finish and no where did I find any blemish on the auto. I loved the Rear tail lights that run from the bumper up to the roof as they fully light up to reveal a nice tribute to the long vertical Cadillac tail lights.You also get a great bright yellow LED line up of lights from the bumper to the bottom of the rear glass as your turn signals. No one should miss this at all.

Big improvement is that they got rid of what I have always thought was an ugly brick of chrome in the center of the rear door and was found to have rust issues when I looked at them. You now have a great Cadillac emblem still with the crest and a nice chrome accent strip along the bottom of the rear window.

From the front you have the LED Headlights and the daytime marker lights which are also found on the 2015 CTS but only larger on the Escalade. It really gives it an amazing look. Big Chrome grill and the stance is just WOW! Detail is amazing as you find the Cadillac name and emblem in the smallest of places on the lights both rear and front and even on the ceiling where you get day light equal LED reading lights. The interior lighting is just as impressive as the exterior lighting.

This Escalade had the standard running boards, I feel it should be a standard not an option for the self hiding running boards, but that is a minor gripe.

The engine was the 6.2 L with 6 speed transmission. I was surprised to find it had where the battery is standard on Gen 1 and 2 Escalades in the upper left from corner when you fact the motor is actually empty with electrical connections sitting there as the battery is not in the right rear corner. Based on the electrical connections in this empty battery bay, one would have to make the assumption that GM is clearly going to be putting a diesel into their full size SUV's finally. What other reason would you have for having battery terminals / electrical connections here.

This Escalade had the new push button start/stop. The engine turned right over on the initial push and was whisper quiet. I was expecting some noise and yet with the Bose Noise Canceling system that is built into the Escalades that have the Bose premium sound system, it was amazing to see that you barely heard the road nose from the 22" rim/tire combo they had on this auto. With the radio on, I heard nothing from the engine or outside noise, just pure sweet music.

Taking off from the dealership lot, it was a solid silky smooth transmission that amazed me as you really did not pick up on the shifts. Both driving around Bellevue and on the freeway, the auto was solid, quiet and had a pose that just stated I am the best. The auto just moves with a ton of power and conviction that you are truly driving the standard of the world. I challenge MB or BMW to build something this size, this quality for this price. Price was $84,799.00

I took pictures and will add them once I figure out why I cannot seem to attached pictures or add them to the gallery. I truly love this auto on how it drove, handled and the over all fit and finish.

If you have any questions just hit me up and I will answer them.

Cool man, want to see those pictures. I am not clear on the battery location, but sometimes the reason is just for weight distribution, to have it behind the axle line. Sooo... when are you taking it home?

But it is still a Tahoe at the end of the day. I would challenge Cadillac to build a car that doesn't have and engine from Chevrolet. The 2.0T, 3.6 V6, 6.2 V8, the Volt powertrain is all Chevy running gear. The Twin Turbo V6 is the only exception so at least they have that.

Interesting though that they seem to have designed it to accommodate a diesel, but I suspect the engine bay shares a lot with the Tahoe and Silverado, so I would think GM has to be putting a diesel in the pick ups at least, if not the SUVs also. You'd think Cadillac would want a diesel since the Mercedes GL has a diesel and is the #1 seller in this class.

But it is still a Tahoe at the end of the day. I would challenge Cadillac to build a car that doesn't have and engine from Chevrolet. The 2.0T, 3.6 V6, 6.2 V8, the Volt powertrain is all Chevy running gear. The Twin Turbo V6 is the only exception so at least they have that.

Interesting though that they seem to have designed it to accommodate a diesel, but I suspect the engine bay shares a lot with the Tahoe and Silverado, so I would think GM has to be putting a diesel in the pick ups at least, if not the SUVs also. You'd think Cadillac would want a diesel since the Mercedes GL has a diesel and is the #1 seller in this class.

SMK, You need to go and look at the 2015 Tahoe and then the Cadillac. I was lucky to be able to walk next door to the Chevy dealership in Bellevue and look and they are nothing alike. Yes like MB or BMW you can nit pick about using small certain items on all levels of auto's but when you get into a Cadillac, it is nothing like a Yukon and especially night and day between the Subruban/Tahoe and the Escalade/ESV.

Amazing how far gm and Ford have come in terms of fit and finish. You are right, BMW and Lexus do not build vehicles of quite this quality. A diesel in this thing would just be the cats ass, I think.

The chassis and powertrain are still Chevy/GMC with the exception of the Escalade having the 6.2 liter standard rather than optional, the center arm rests are the same, the body shape is basically the same, knobs to the left of the steering wheel for the lights are the same, shifter is the same, the dash shape is similar, but the Escalade has the Cadillac center stack and more wood and metal trim. The Escalade has a nice interior, and I'd say more worth the price than a Tahoe. The Tahoe starts under $50k, but Car and Driver tested one that was $70k, at that price, might as well get the Escalade, it is nicer.

The chassis and powertrain are still Chevy/GMC with the exception of the Escalade having the 6.2 liter standard rather than optional, the center arm rests are the same, the body shape is basically the same, knobs to the left of the steering wheel for the lights are the same, shifter is the same, the dash shape is similar, but the Escalade has the Cadillac center stack and more wood and metal trim. The Escalade has a nice interior, and I'd say more worth the price than a Tahoe. The Tahoe starts under $50k, but Car and Driver tested one that was $70k, at that price, might as well get the Escalade, it is nicer.

Now your splitting hairs as the upper BMW and MB have the same stuff as the lower units. So I really see no difference between what Cadillac does and the Germans.

Sorry that the bottom Picture of the HUD is fuzzy. I only had my Samsung note with me to use to take pictures.

Bottom Picture of the HUD is the indicator saying your Valet Limiter is on. It seems to lock the auto down so you cannot go very fast or far in it and you cannot seem to make any other changes to the dash or settings. I like this feature to protect your auto from being taken on a joy ride.

Cool man, want to see those pictures. I am not clear on the battery location, but sometimes the reason is just for weight distribution, to have it behind the axle line. Sooo... when are you taking it home?

Pictures posted for your review and input. :P