The latter half of the oughts have seen the Detroit automakers come out swinging with their muscle cars. General Motors has gone crazy with the Camaro, while Ford keeps amping up the Mustang. Dodge has been quietly working on improving the Challenger for the most part - and of course introducing the Hellcat V8. But while the Hellcat has taken the spotlight for the Challenger, it has put other Challenger models in the shadow. That’s kind of a shame since Dodge has worked on bettering the Challenger with major improvements and new trims. To find out whether or not other Challenger models deserve a spot in the light, I spent some time in a 2015 Challenger SRT.

Looking at the Challenger SRT, you can’t help but think that Dodge issued an edict to its designers saying to keep the basic shape of the original Challenger, but bring it into the 21st century. It seems the edict worked as the current Challenger holds true to the original name-bearer. From the gun-barrel headlights and split grille lines; to the short rear deck and distinctive rear light setup: There is very much a clear lineage to the original Challenger. The SRT tester was draped in a Billet Silver paint color with black strips, and a set of 20-inch forged wheels wearing a coat of black which adds bit of aggression.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 2

One of the biggest problems for the pre-refreshed Challenger was its interior. A somewhat plain looking dashboard was mixed with cheap plastics mostly common in compacts from the eighties and a steering wheel that felt more at home in a tractor than a muscle car. But with the refreshed Challenger, Dodge fixed many problems. To start, the dashboard has been completely re-worked with a new design that angles the center stack towards the driver and boasts better materials such as brushed plastic trim, aluminum, and soft-touch materials. Paired with a smaller steering wheel and a set of supportive bucket seats with extra side bolstering to keep you in place, help make the Challenger SRT a very special place indeed.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 14

My test Challenger featured the excellent Uconnect infotainment system with the 8.4-inch touchscreen. I have praised the system for being very easy to use and quick to respond. But on the Challenger SRT, Uconnect gets an extra component. Under the screen is a SRT button which brings up a special SRT section. This section allows you to customize settings for the power and adjustable suspension, provide extra gauges such as oil pressure and temperature; and give performance data such 0-60 and quarter-mile times. It's a nice touch for those who go for the SRT model.

For Powertrain and Handling Thoughts, See the Next Page

Power for the Challenger SRT comes from 6.4L HEMI V8 engine with 485 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque. This can be paired up to either a six-speed manual or my tester’s eight-speed automatic. If you ever wondered what a 70’s muscle car was like, just go for a drive or ride in the SRT. The V8 growls when you start it up or sit at a stop. Plant your foot onto the pedal and the V8 roars to life. Thrust from the V8 engine is able to move the 4,251 pound vehicle like it was nothing. The eight-speed automatic is an excellent partner to V8 as it provides rapid-fire up or downshifts and is able to respond to the needs of driver, whether driving like a mad man or normal. Fuel economy is rated at 15 City/25 Highway/18 Combined. I saw an average of 17 MPG for a week.

A big complaint of the Challenger is that compared to its contemporaries - Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang - is that it doesn’t have the nimble handling characteristics. I can see that because the Challenger is not only heavier, but also slightly larger that its competitors. Here are the measurements:

Overall Length and Wheelbase:

Dodge Challenger: 197.9 inches, 116.2 inches

Chevrolet Camaro: 190.6 inches, 112.3 inches

Ford Mustang: 188.3 inches, 107.1 inches

Overall Width:

Dodge Challenger: 75.7 inches

Chevrolet Camaro: 75.5 to 76.9 (Z/28) inches

Ford Mustang: 75.4 inches

Curb Weight:

Dodge Challenger: 3,834 to 4,449 pounds

Chevrolet Camaro: 3,702 to 4,149 pounds*

Ford Mustang: 3,526 to 3,729*

(*Camaro and Mustang's curb weight are only for coupes)

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 11

Dodge and SRT has been working on this with an adjustable suspension system. For 2015, the system has been tweaked to provide more settings and more stiffness when you put it into sport mode. Does it make a difference? It does up to a point. The suspension isn’t fully able hide the weight and size, but it does a surprisingly excellent job of reducing it. Also, the suspension deserves a round of applause for making the Challenger feel more nimble than it should. Driving the Challenger on a curvy road, I was surprised by how fast I could go in corners. Some of the credit should also go the steering which has excellent feel and weight.

Now the suspension has one other trick up its sleeve. Put it into normal or comfort, and the Challenger becomes an excellent long-distance cruiser. The suspension in either mode is able to soak up bumps with almost no problem. Wind and road noise is kept a decent level, despite the shape of the Challenger.

The Challenger SRT has one big problem and that happens to be the Challenger R/T Scat Pack model. For $7,500 less than the base price of the SRT, you pretty much get everything except the adjustable. This begs the question whether the SRT model is worth the extra change? At the moment, I would say yes because the suspension makes a big difference in how the Challenger handles.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 7

But the nevertheless, the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT is huge step in the right direction. It might not have all of the agility or lighter weight that the likes of the Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang, but it definitely has the performance soul to match and/or exceed either one of those. To sum up the Challenger, I liken it to that quiet guy at the bar. You know the one who sitting there quietly, enjoying their drink, and wanting no part in what's taking place. But if provoked, he will smash your head into a door.

Disclaimer: Dodge Provided the Challenger SRT, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2015

Make: Dodge

Model: Challenger

Trim: SRT 392

Engine: 6.4L HEMI V8

Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive

Horsepower @ RPM: 485 @ 6,100

Torque @ RPM: 475 @ 4,200

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined -

Curb Weight: 4,251 lbs

Location of Manufacture: Brampton, Ontario

Base Price: $44,995

As Tested Price: $49,675 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)

Options:

TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission - $1,400.00

Technology Group - $995.00

UConnect 8.4AN AM/FM/SXM/HD/BT/NAV - $695.00

Twin Center Black Stripes - $595.00

View full article

I can only imagine walking out of my apartment and seeing this in my parking space. I absolutely admire this car!! It has so many awesome features and the looks turn heads everywhere the thing goes. It's like driving a Lamborghini for the price of a Porsche and having improved gas mileage.

This a fantastic car, but the grill irks me for some reason.

Looking back at it, I think what irks you is what bothers me about it. Looks a bit cheap as an after thought generic plastic grill. They could have done something a bit better I think.

Guest bender

I just traded in my 13 r/t classic for a 15 392 srt and I cannot be happier, it is as fun to drive as it sounds and looks, the only thing I do not like is the nervous feelings I get when my wife is behind the wheel.

This review captures the essence of the new Challenger really well. It's an old school bruiser and the refresh tweaked the design in JUST the right ways. I'm also a huge fan of the 392 Hemi. I think that's the sweet spot for this car.

I'd go as far as to say that if Chrysler had released this design and interior when they shuffled the powertrains and introduced the Pentastar V6, it very well could have shaken up the pony/muscle car wars.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last year, I had the chance to spend a week in a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. While I found it to offer improved handling and a somewhat nicer interior over the Mazda MX-5 Miata it is based on, there were a few items that kept me from saying it was better - mainly the turbo engine and exterior design. A couple of months ago, I found myself in another 124 Spider. This time, it was the Lusso which drops a fair amount of the aggression from the Abarth, along with providing a softer suspension tune. Would this model be able to change my tune?
      The Lusso is the polar opposite to the Abarth I drove last year in terms of looks. It is toned down with the removal of the aggressive bumpers and quad-tip exhausts. The end result is a much cleaner look. I just wished Fiat could have done more to the rear end as it still looks a bit out of place with the rest of the design. This particular Lusso is the Red Top Edition which as the name suggests has a red soft-top. I will admit this does add a touch of personality and helps the 124 Spider stand out. Not much has changed with the interior since our last review. Getting in and out is still a bit tough due to the low ride height and anyone over six-feet will feel quite cramped. The overall design is the same as the MX-5 Miata, with slight differences to the steering wheel and instrument cluster to make it slightly more Fiat-ish. Material quality is slightly higher than the Mazda, with more soft-touch materials. One issue I did discover in this go-around is the location of the 12-volt outlet. It is mounted deep in the passenger footwell, almost near the engine firewall. Finding it was not a pleasant experience as I needed to pull out my phone to act as a flashlight to find the stupid thing. Power comes from the turbocharged 1.4L MultiAir four-cylinder. Compared to the Abarth, the Lusso loses four horsepower. This is due to a more restrictive exhaust. My tester came with the optional six-speed automatic. I wish that I could say Fiat solved the engine issued I mentioned in the previous review, but they have not. The turbo engine still feels laggy on the low-end of the rpm band. Plus, the automatic transmission is tuned to quickly upshift to improve fuel economy. This leaves you without any turbo boost when you want it. I keep thinking that the six-speed manual would be slightly better as it would me control when it is time to shift, allowing the engine to be fully exploited. One trait that sets the 124 Spider apart from its Miata brethren is the suspension tuning. Fiat decided to go with a softer tune on most models - the Abarth is the exception as it gets a stiffer suspension setup. The difference is noticeable as the 124 Spider provides a slightly smoother ride than the Miata. This softening doesn’t change the handling dynamics of the Spider. It still darts into turns with minimal body roll and fast steering. The Lusso Red Top Edition sits as the flagship of the 2018 124 Spider lineup with a base price of $31,440. This comes equipped with a number of options such backup camera, Bose audio system, navigation, and heated seats as standard equipment. With destination, this vehicle comes to an as-tested price of $32,435. The Lusso model may be the sweet spot in the 124 Spider lineup as it offers a slightly smoother ride and improved interior. But Fiat still needs to address the performance of the turbo-four. It is a great alternative to the MX-5 Miata, but not better. Gallery: 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
      Disclaimer: Fiat Provided the 124 Spider, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Fiat
      Model: 124 Spider
      Trim: Lusso
      Engine: 1.4L MultiAir SOHC 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive 
      Horsepower @ RPM: 160 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 184 @ 3,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/36/29
      Curb Weight: 2,476 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Hiroshima, Japan
      Base Price: $27,595
      As Tested Price: $32,435 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Red Top Edition Package 22T - $2,495.00
      Red Top Edition Package 2DT - $1,350.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last year, I had the chance to spend a week in a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. While I found it to offer improved handling and a somewhat nicer interior over the Mazda MX-5 Miata it is based on, there were a few items that kept me from saying it was better - mainly the turbo engine and exterior design. A couple of months ago, I found myself in another 124 Spider. This time, it was the Lusso which drops a fair amount of the aggression from the Abarth, along with providing a softer suspension tune. Would this model be able to change my tune?
      The Lusso is the polar opposite to the Abarth I drove last year in terms of looks. It is toned down with the removal of the aggressive bumpers and quad-tip exhausts. The end result is a much cleaner look. I just wished Fiat could have done more to the rear end as it still looks a bit out of place with the rest of the design. This particular Lusso is the Red Top Edition which as the name suggests has a red soft-top. I will admit this does add a touch of personality and helps the 124 Spider stand out. Not much has changed with the interior since our last review. Getting in and out is still a bit tough due to the low ride height and anyone over six-feet will feel quite cramped. The overall design is the same as the MX-5 Miata, with slight differences to the steering wheel and instrument cluster to make it slightly more Fiat-ish. Material quality is slightly higher than the Mazda, with more soft-touch materials. One issue I did discover in this go-around is the location of the 12-volt outlet. It is mounted deep in the passenger footwell, almost near the engine firewall. Finding it was not a pleasant experience as I needed to pull out my phone to act as a flashlight to find the stupid thing. Power comes from the turbocharged 1.4L MultiAir four-cylinder. Compared to the Abarth, the Lusso loses four horsepower. This is due to a more restrictive exhaust. My tester came with the optional six-speed automatic. I wish that I could say Fiat solved the engine issued I mentioned in the previous review, but they have not. The turbo engine still feels laggy on the low-end of the rpm band. Plus, the automatic transmission is tuned to quickly upshift to improve fuel economy. This leaves you without any turbo boost when you want it. I keep thinking that the six-speed manual would be slightly better as it would me control when it is time to shift, allowing the engine to be fully exploited. One trait that sets the 124 Spider apart from its Miata brethren is the suspension tuning. Fiat decided to go with a softer tune on most models - the Abarth is the exception as it gets a stiffer suspension setup. The difference is noticeable as the 124 Spider provides a slightly smoother ride than the Miata. This softening doesn’t change the handling dynamics of the Spider. It still darts into turns with minimal body roll and fast steering. The Lusso Red Top Edition sits as the flagship of the 2018 124 Spider lineup with a base price of $31,440. This comes equipped with a number of options such backup camera, Bose audio system, navigation, and heated seats as standard equipment. With destination, this vehicle comes to an as-tested price of $32,435. The Lusso model may be the sweet spot in the 124 Spider lineup as it offers a slightly smoother ride and improved interior. But Fiat still needs to address the performance of the turbo-four. It is a great alternative to the MX-5 Miata, but not better. Gallery: 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
      Disclaimer: Fiat Provided the 124 Spider, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Fiat
      Model: 124 Spider
      Trim: Lusso
      Engine: 1.4L MultiAir SOHC 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive 
      Horsepower @ RPM: 160 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 184 @ 3,200
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/36/29
      Curb Weight: 2,476 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Hiroshima, Japan
      Base Price: $27,595
      As Tested Price: $32,435 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Red Top Edition Package 22T - $2,495.00
      Red Top Edition Package 2DT - $1,350.00
    • By William Maley
      (Author's Note: Before diving into this review, I did an Afterthoughts piece on maximizing the fuel economy in the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk last month. If you want to see Trackhawk somewhat out of its element, then check out the piece here.)
      I keep a list of vehicles that I would like to evaluate on my computer. This list is what I reference whenever I reach out to automakers and inquire about getting vehicles. Some of the vehicles on the list only spend a short time, while others are there for years. An example of the latter is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Having driven this briefly a couple of times within the past few years, I was shocked by how capable this machine was around a winding road and power on tap. I always wanted to see how this model would fare during a week-long test where it would serve as a daily driver.
      Fast forward to this October when I finally got my chance to spend some quality time with one. Although, this wasn’t any Grand Cherokee SRT. What pulled up in my driveway was the SRT Trackhawk with the 6.2L Supercharged Hellcat V8 and 707 horsepower under the hood. This was going be an interesting week I thought while walking around the vehicle. 
      The capability on offer with the Trackhawk really defies the laws of physics. For example, the Trackhawk will hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. Quite impressive when you consider that it tips the scales at a hefty 5,363 pounds. A lot of credit has to go to the all-wheel drive system which shuffles the power around to make sure it gets onto the payment, not in tire smoke. Stab the throttle and hold on to dear life as supercharged V8 thunders into life. Within the blink of an eye, you’ll be traveling well above the posted speed limits. Even lightly pressing on the pedal gets the Trackhawk up to speed at a surprising rate. Starting up the Trackhawk is always an event as the engine provides a growl that is more common on late 60’s high-performance muscle cars. Your neighbors may get annoyed get after while with the noise, especially in the early morning hours. On the road, it will be hard to resist stepping on the throttle to hear the whine of the supercharger and cracking exhaust note. Overall fuel economy for the week? Somehow, I was able to achieve 14 mpg. For the suspension, Jeep lowered the ride height, replaced various components, and did some revised tuning. It makes for an entertaining vehicle in the corners with reduced body roll and impressive response from the steering. Some drivers will be wishing for the steering to provide more road feel. A set of optional Pirelli P Zero tires were fitted onto my tester and provide a noticeable increase in grip. However, these tires perform at their best when they are warmed up. Push them when you first get onto the road or in cold weather, and you’ll find out they lose a fair amount of grip. The changes to the suspension does cause the ride to be slightly rougher with some bumps do make their way inside. The Grand Cherokee SRT was already an egressive looking beast with an altered front end (narrowed front grille with three slots underneath and black surround for the headlights), larger wheels, and huge exhaust tips. Trackhawk models only add some small touches such as ‘Supercharged’ badging on the doors, black exhaust tips, and a Trackhawk badge on the tailgate. If there is one disappointment to the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it would be the interior. For a vehicle with a price tag of over $90,000, Jeep could have done something to make it feel somewhat special. Yes, there is carbon fiber trim, Alcantara inserts for the seats, and a quite thick steering wheel. But the rest if the interior is what you’ll find on other Grand Cherokees, which makes the Trackhawk a bit of a tough sell. On the upside, the Trackhawk retains many of the plus points of the Grand Cherokee’s interior such as ample room for passengers, logical control layout, and the excellent UConnect infotainment system. To summarize the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it is quite absurd. An SUV should not be able to hit 60 mph in under four seconds, be agile in the corners, and have a snarl that will give muscle cars a run for their money. It is not a logical vehicle and yet, it is quite impressive what has been pulled off. Disclaimer: Jeep Provided the Grand Cherokee, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Gallery: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Trackhawk
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Grand Cherokee
      Trim: SRT Trackhawk
      Engine: 6.2L Supercharged V8
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 707 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 645 @ 4,800
      Curb Weight: 53,63 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $86,200
      As Tested Price: $91,530 (Includes $1,445 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      High-Performance Audio System - $1,995.00
      20-inch x 10-inch Black Satin Aluminum Wheels - $995.00
      295/45ZR20 BSW 3 Season Tires - $895.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      (Author's Note: Before diving into this review, I did an Afterthoughts piece on maximizing the fuel economy in the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk last month. If you want to see Trackhawk somewhat out of its element, then check out the piece here.)
      I keep a list of vehicles that I would like to evaluate on my computer. This list is what I reference whenever I reach out to automakers and inquire about getting vehicles. Some of the vehicles on the list only spend a short time, while others are there for years. An example of the latter is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Having driven this briefly a couple of times within the past few years, I was shocked by how capable this machine was around a winding road and power on tap. I always wanted to see how this model would fare during a week-long test where it would serve as a daily driver.
      Fast forward to this October when I finally got my chance to spend some quality time with one. Although, this wasn’t any Grand Cherokee SRT. What pulled up in my driveway was the SRT Trackhawk with the 6.2L Supercharged Hellcat V8 and 707 horsepower under the hood. This was going be an interesting week I thought while walking around the vehicle. 
      The capability on offer with the Trackhawk really defies the laws of physics. For example, the Trackhawk will hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. Quite impressive when you consider that it tips the scales at a hefty 5,363 pounds. A lot of credit has to go to the all-wheel drive system which shuffles the power around to make sure it gets onto the payment, not in tire smoke. Stab the throttle and hold on to dear life as supercharged V8 thunders into life. Within the blink of an eye, you’ll be traveling well above the posted speed limits. Even lightly pressing on the pedal gets the Trackhawk up to speed at a surprising rate. Starting up the Trackhawk is always an event as the engine provides a growl that is more common on late 60’s high-performance muscle cars. Your neighbors may get annoyed get after while with the noise, especially in the early morning hours. On the road, it will be hard to resist stepping on the throttle to hear the whine of the supercharger and cracking exhaust note. Overall fuel economy for the week? Somehow, I was able to achieve 14 mpg. For the suspension, Jeep lowered the ride height, replaced various components, and did some revised tuning. It makes for an entertaining vehicle in the corners with reduced body roll and impressive response from the steering. Some drivers will be wishing for the steering to provide more road feel. A set of optional Pirelli P Zero tires were fitted onto my tester and provide a noticeable increase in grip. However, these tires perform at their best when they are warmed up. Push them when you first get onto the road or in cold weather, and you’ll find out they lose a fair amount of grip. The changes to the suspension does cause the ride to be slightly rougher with some bumps do make their way inside. The Grand Cherokee SRT was already an egressive looking beast with an altered front end (narrowed front grille with three slots underneath and black surround for the headlights), larger wheels, and huge exhaust tips. Trackhawk models only add some small touches such as ‘Supercharged’ badging on the doors, black exhaust tips, and a Trackhawk badge on the tailgate. If there is one disappointment to the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it would be the interior. For a vehicle with a price tag of over $90,000, Jeep could have done something to make it feel somewhat special. Yes, there is carbon fiber trim, Alcantara inserts for the seats, and a quite thick steering wheel. But the rest if the interior is what you’ll find on other Grand Cherokees, which makes the Trackhawk a bit of a tough sell. On the upside, the Trackhawk retains many of the plus points of the Grand Cherokee’s interior such as ample room for passengers, logical control layout, and the excellent UConnect infotainment system. To summarize the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it is quite absurd. An SUV should not be able to hit 60 mph in under four seconds, be agile in the corners, and have a snarl that will give muscle cars a run for their money. It is not a logical vehicle and yet, it is quite impressive what has been pulled off. Disclaimer: Jeep Provided the Grand Cherokee, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Gallery: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Trackhawk
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Grand Cherokee
      Trim: SRT Trackhawk
      Engine: 6.2L Supercharged V8
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 707 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 645 @ 4,800
      Curb Weight: 53,63 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $86,200
      As Tested Price: $91,530 (Includes $1,445 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      High-Performance Audio System - $1,995.00
      20-inch x 10-inch Black Satin Aluminum Wheels - $995.00
      295/45ZR20 BSW 3 Season Tires - $895.00
    • By William Maley
      I happen to be a big fan of the Kia Soul. Its daring looks, spacious interior, and overall value make it an interesting option in the compact class. It seems many others would agree as the Soul is one of Kia’s best selling models. To help keep it up there, Kia has introduced a new turbo engine for the top-line Exclaim (!) model along with minor changes for 2017. Let's see how these changes affect the Soul.
      Aside from the turbo engine, Kia made some design tweaks to the Exclaim to have it stand out from other Soul trims. This includes a new front bumper, red accents, 18-inch alloy wheels, a twin-tip exhaust, and exclusive colors like this copper color seen here. The little changes really make the Soul stand out even further than before. Moving on to the turbo engine, it is a 1.6L four-cylinder packing 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is only paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. If you really want a manual with your turbo-four, Kia will gladly sell you a Forte5 SX which features the same engine. There is a brief moment of turbo lag when you step on the accelerator, but the engine comes into its own after this with power building smoothly. There are no issues with getting up to speed when merging or making a pass. The dual-clutch transmission is a bit of a mixed bag. In stop-and-go traffic, the transmission exhibits some jerkiness and lazy shifts. We also noticed the transmission was slow to respond in terms of downshifting, making us think the programming for this transmission was focused on fuel economy. At higher speeds, the transmission is better with rapid and smooth shifts. The turbo engine has the highest fuel economy fuel economy figures in the Soul lineup with an EPA rating of 26 City/31 Highway/28 Combined. We saw an average of 25.3 mpg during our week in mostly city driving, which is slightly disappointing. With the turbo engine and racy looks, you might think that this particular Soul is fun to drive. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not the case. Out on a winding road, the Soul is competent with minimal body roll and okay steering. This would be ok if it weren’t for the sporty image that is being portrayed by the exterior. We do wish that Kia had made some changes to the suspension to make it slightly sportier.  The upside to not messing with the Soul’s suspension is it mostly retains the smooth and comfortable ride of other models. Mostly is the keyword as the 18-inch wheels do introduce some harshness to the Soul’s ride. There is a fair amount of wind and road noise, most of this due to the Soul’s boxy shape. The Soul’s interior is still as sharp looking as it first was when the current model was launched in 2013. Little touches such as the uniquely styled air vents and orange accent stitching give the Soul a bit of whimsy. The extensive use of soft-touch materials gives off an aura of quality. Driver and passenger get power seats which make finding a comfortable position very easy. Those sitting in the back will appreciate the large amount of head and legroom, due to the Soul’s boxy shape. Our test Soul came with optional Technology Package that includes an 8-inch touchscreen with Kia’s UVO infotainment system and navigation. It is beginning to show its age in terms of the graphics, but it is still one of the most intuitive systems on sale today. A simple layout and redundant physical buttons make it breeze to use. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is an added bonus. The Exclaim begins at $22,650 and comes well equipped. Standard features include automatic climate control, 7-inch touchscreen with UVO, Bluetooth, leather and cloth wrapped seats, push-button start with proximity key, and automatic headlights. Opt for the technology to get the 8-inch system, blind spot monitoring with rear-cross traffic alert, heated seats and steering wheel, and power folding mirrors. For only $26,995, you get a nicely equipped vehicle. Our test vehicle is slightly more expensive at $27,620 due to an optional panoramic sunroof which we would skip. Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Soul, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Kia
      Model: Soul
      Trim: ! (Exclaim)
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.6L GDI Four-Cylinder 
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/31/28
      Curb Weight: 3,232 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Gwangju, South Korea
      Base Price: $22,650
      As Tested Price: $27,620 (Includes $850.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Technology Package - $3,000.00
      Panoramic Sunroof - $1,000.00
      Carpeted Floor Mars - $120.00

View full article
  • My Clubs