I Am Hybrid, Hear Me Roar

I Am Hybrid, Hear Me Roar

Posted Image

Toyota is thinking of taking a different approach when it comes to the styling of their hybrid vehicles. The reason being their recent hybrids haven't been received as hot a reception as their most famous and best-selling hybrid vehicle, the Prius. The lack of sufficent styling differentiation between the normal gas and hybrid counterparts is being seen as the reason. Read on to learn what methods Toyota may use to upplay their hybrids.

Read "Toyota wants its designs to shout 'hybrid'" @ The Detroit News

Oh yeah, placing different lights on the outside of the vehicle to alert people when it's in hybrid mode--that won't be distracting at all.

Oh, and additional lights all over the place? Sure, suck out the power of your better by every little bit--this way your 50/60 EPA ratings that get 44mpg will now be 45/55 that get 35 mpg.

I can't imagine anyone wetting their pants in excitement over an exposed battery pack, or another light-up bauble that tells you that your car is indeed a hybrid in hybrid mode.

"One of the things you may see are green or blue lights on the sides of the hybrid or maybe even on the hood that illuminate when the car is in hybrid mode," he said. "Also, a hybrid battery needs a lot of cooling, and so we are experimenting with unusual air intakes and outlets that will add a styling element."

That is the queerest thing I've ever read, and I mean 'queer' in the truest sense of the word.

Why not but a big 60mpg sign like in the commercials? Idiots.

Why not but a big 60mpg sign like in the commercials? Idiots.

It'd have to be a big 60mpg sign with an asterisk, and some smaller text below. :lol:

I got an idea. Paint the battery packs blue, put a NOS sticker on them, and put them where the rear dash area is, so people can see it through the rear windshield. Or maybe underglow neons that illuminate the word Hybrid on the ground next the car. Or... well I think a sticker is the most cost effective way, why all the fancy stuff? I'm just going to tail gate you more if I know you're in a Hybrid (unless it's a Honda of course! :P ).

Oh yeah, placing different lights on the outside of the vehicle to alert people when it's in hybrid mode--that won't be distracting at all.

Oh, and additional lights all over the place?  Sure, suck out the power of your better by every little bit--this way your 50/60 EPA ratings that get 44mpg will now be 45/55 that get 35 mpg.

They'd be LED lights... use hardly any juice at all.