Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Netflix Question...

Hey ladies and gents,

So the gf and I finally got Netflix last night(signed up for it) and we had intended to use her ps3 because we are always at her house when we watch tv/movies. Well, i have a 3rd gen ps3, I think - first gen when they changed the "body". And I know I can watch Netflix from my PS3. Well hers doesn't have the "tv/movie services" tab like mine does. Sorry, forgot to say, she has a first gen PS3(plays ps2 games).

The question really is.. can Netflix be watched from her first gen PS3? If so, how?

Thank You!

I googled Netflix and 1st gen PS3 and it appears that there are people out there watching Netflix on them. I don't see why it wouldn't, all PS3s are essentially computers with the same Sony operating system firmware. Maybe double check that her PS3 is updated, and then search the Netflix app on playstation network. Some features have to be manually activated in the list of settings, too.

I thought that as well but just last week I hooked it up to the internet for the first time in probably a few years and updated it and then yesterday I double checked to make sure I did it and it said the software was up to date.

I kind of skimmed through the settings but I didn't think there would be a setting for the tab that is supposed to have it.  Do you have a ps3? If so(or familiar enough) on mine there is a "tab" on the homepage of the ps3 titled "TV/Video Services" and within there there is Netflix, Hulu, etc. And hers just doesn't have the tab at all.

Ps. I almost just PM'd you because you were primarily my target for this post lol

I think I may have found it, straight of of Sony's website. I'm just worried that it will only be for people with that "tab" I keep talking about.

"

1. From the home screen, navigate to the TV/Video Services section and select the Netflix icon.
    • If you're not already at the home screen, hold the PS button in the middle of the controller, select Quit, then select Yes to return to the home screen.
  2. Select Yes when presented with: "To use this feature, you must download software. Do you want to download now?" The Netflix app will now begin downloading.

If you do not see the Netflix app, follow the steps below to download it from the PlayStation store.

1. Select PlayStation Store.
  2. Select Apps.
  3. Select Movies/TV.
  4. Select Netflix.
  5. Select Download."

Haha, it's funny you almost PM'ed me.

I have a 1st gen PS3 at home that I use for PS1 and PS2 games, it's one of the original release 20 gb models actually. I'll hook it up and work with you on this if you don't get it sorted out today. At home we watch netflix on two PS3s (different rooms). One is a slim, the other's a super-slim.

Also, if it reassures you any, my PS3 superslim came with an outdated Netflix App that couldn't even update. After I deleted it, the only way to get Netflix back was to manually download the new app from the Playstation Store and it appeared right where it was supposed to be under TV services. Maybe the 1st gen PS3 doesn't show the TV services tab because it doesn't have any preloaded TV service apps.

I know I used to have the Netflix app on my 1st gen when I had it, worked great.  I was sad the day it died on me, but moving from that tiny hard drive to a much larger one was nice.  Currently we have a PS3 and a PS4 in the house, plus my Vita.

My 1st gen finally started crashing on me while playing PS3 games. Processor was overheating. I had a 160 gb 7200 rpm hard drive swapped into it, so a year or so ago I bought a super slim ps3 "core system" (no HDD) for $199 and put the drive in there. The old brick still does backward compatibility just fine, the original PS3s actually had PS2 hardware in them, the newer ones used limited emulation software.

@SalesmanSean - I never wound up getting a PS Vita, I was waiting on a slimmer version. It finally came out, but the game library had really let me down. I've got a couple PSPs though, a 2000 series slim and a PSPgo. Still use them. I think the Vita went too high-end. Developers apparently didn't see any appeal in forking out console-game production costs for such a limited audience, and parents are drawn to the durable clamshell design of the Nintendo 3DS for their kids.

Haha, it's funny you almost PM'ed me.

I have a 1st gen PS3 at home that I use for PS1 and PS2 games, it's one of the original release 20 gb models actually. I'll hook it up and work with you on this if you don't get it sorted out today. At home we watch netflix on two PS3s (different rooms). One is a slim, the other's a super-slim.

Well, Thank you guys I ended up getting it to work. It really was as simple as just downloading the app from the Sony store. Which I didn't think A: I needed to download the Netflix app because I never did on mine, It just came with one of the recent updates and B: I didn't know there were 'apps' to even download for a PS3.

I knew you're into the computer things..which even if you didn't have a PS3 you'd probably know a solution haha.

Yeah hers is an old one that plays the old games, which is pretty neat. It just sucks they don't even use it for anything and when it craps out it'll kind of be a shame because aren't those semi-collectable ?

Super slim? I didn't even know that was a thing. lol I guess mine is jsut a slim but the GF's is an old brick. That thing easily weighs twice what mine does. It's pretty incredible really.

Also, if it reassures you any, my PS3 superslim came with an outdated Netflix App that couldn't even update. After I deleted it, the only way to get Netflix back was to manually download the new app from the Playstation Store and it appeared right where it was supposed to be under TV services. Maybe the 1st gen PS3 doesn't show the TV services tab because it doesn't have any preloaded TV service apps.

Yeah that is basically what I had to do. Once I downloaded it there was magically the TV/Video Services tab and with it came Hulu and something else.. It is like it knew the tab was supposed to be there, it just didn't want to show me. lol

Oh wow. Interesting in deed. Tiny, like you said compared to the controller!  It actually looks kind of cheap. The first gen ps3s had a good pricey look to them with the no real buttons(which suck btw) and the size and all. I realize this one is probably 100 times more efficient from the manufacturing end to shipping to probably power consumption end..it just doesn't look that good. But I don't buy my systems based on looks lol.