William Maley

Dodge News: Dodge Increases Hellcat Engine Production Due To Increased Demand

The Dodge Hellcat models are a huge success with 4,000 Challenger and Charger Hellcat models sold out of a total of 88,000 muscle cars.

"It's a small sliver of what we sell, but it really creates a halo for the rest of the lineup," said Dodge and SRT CEO Tim Kuniskis to Automotive News.

It has become quite a success for the brand that Dodge is increasing production of the Hellcat engine to help reduce the "huge flood” of orders. This will be the second increase in production of the Hellcat models.

"We're going to build more [Hellcats] for 2016. We stopped taking all Hellcat orders months ago so that we could catch up to that demand, and then we will launch the 2016s," said Kuniskis.

Kuniskis didn't say how much of a production increase they will do.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

• Upvote 1

So by 2017, these cars will actually be available at a "reasonable" price and not be gouged by dealer mark ups and auction frenzy?

Sure...and maybe by 2017...a power bump and possibly a mild refresh to keep things current.

Id wait until 2017 to buy one...sure I dont get to flaunt Hell at my fingertips...like NOW...but its well worth the wait money wise. "Good things come to those who wait" I believe is the saying. Especially for my pockets...

On the other hand...707 HP and 650 ft/lbs torque and driving it NOW is well worth the price of admission...because you own the Hellcat...NOW!!!  You dont have to wait 2 years to experience...HELL...What a ride that is I bet!!!

If you really wants this car...and you see this video...and there are other videos that are much better than this one...honestly...could you actually wait 2 years to own one?

I know if I had the money and space...and the weather to cooperate with me...I wouldnt want to wait 2 years....I WOULD WANT THIS CAR....LIKE...YESTERDAY!!!

I know I contradicted myself in this post regarding the timeline of waiting to own this machine...I honesty would be amongst the first to buy the Challenger Hellcat had I had the money and not lived in Montreal...weather and gas prices...so yeah...Id be one of those fools to pay the premium for one...however...Id be a very happy fool...and possibly a dead one...or at the very least...divorced with no legal drivers license from all the speeding tickets and demerit points Id inherit with this car.

If I had Jay Leno money with a Jay Leno car garage...Id make myself a spot for a few cars...Id name that spot...Hades Corner...and I would spotlight all the Devil themed cars...

Challenger and Charger Hellcat

Lamborghini El Diablo

1958 Plymouth Fury....several different vintage Furys actually

1970 Dodge Demon

2009 Corvette ZR-1 (Blue Devil), etc...

More engines that produce ludicrous amounts of horsepower. I see nothing wrong with this.

`Merica.

By the way, nice sig oldhurst.

`Merica.

By the way, nice sig oldhurst.

Thanx.

'And although Im Canadian and it is Canada Day today...yeah...

'Merica!!!

Even a good Canadian kid knows that NOT making this announcement on July the Fourth was a missed PR opportunity. Otherwise, great news!

I had the pleasure of driving a 2015 Scat Pack Challenger and I LOVED it.  I want one so bad now.  I don't even need the Hellcat as the Scat Pack has all the power you need on the street.  And if you are into drag racing I have heard of folks running high 11's with just drag radials and no other mods.  BTW - the one I drove was an 8-speed auto and I loved that trans so much that even though I'm a die hard manual trans guy, I would actually take the auto over the stick.

Just got to get some remodeling done on the house first and see if I have money left.  My wife isn't necessarily a performance car enthusiast but after one ride in the Challenger, she seems to be fully on board with getting one (though she would prefer the Charger).

They increased production as Sergio needs the money.

Discounting 300's to $30K is hurting.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Let us wind the clock back to November 2016. We wrote a piece in the rumorpile  saying that the next-generation Dodge Challenger and Charger had been pushed back to 2021. It was unclear as to why the models were being pushed back, but there was the interesting tidbit that they would be using the new Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. But there may be a chance that the next-generation models could use a heavily upgraded version of the current platform which can trace its roots back to the 1990s from Mercedes-Benz.
      "We may not necessarily have to go as far as the Giorgio architecture for Dodge as long as we are willing to commit to a significant upgrade to the current architecture to make it competitive. That's something that's already started," said FCA Sergio Marchionne during last Friday's five-year presentation.
      "Certainly by the time we finish with that architecture, you will not recognize its origins. We may maintain its bare-bones structure."
      Obvious question: Why not Giorgio?
      "The problem with Giorgio is from size and capability standpoint it reflects much more of a European performance requirement than it does the American heritage of Dodge," said Marchionne.
      We read this one of two ways. Either the current incarnation of Giorgio cannot fit a HEMI V8 or is unable to handle the power output of high-performance versions like the Hellcat.
      As for the Chrysler 300, Marchionne hinted that it might not make a return.
      Source: Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Let us wind the clock back to November 2016. We wrote a piece in the rumorpile  saying that the next-generation Dodge Challenger and Charger had been pushed back to 2021. It was unclear as to why the models were being pushed back, but there was the interesting tidbit that they would be using the new Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. But there may be a chance that the next-generation models could use a heavily upgraded version of the current platform which can trace its roots back to the 1990s from Mercedes-Benz.
      "We may not necessarily have to go as far as the Giorgio architecture for Dodge as long as we are willing to commit to a significant upgrade to the current architecture to make it competitive. That's something that's already started," said FCA Sergio Marchionne during last Friday's five-year presentation.
      "Certainly by the time we finish with that architecture, you will not recognize its origins. We may maintain its bare-bones structure."
      Obvious question: Why not Giorgio?
      "The problem with Giorgio is from size and capability standpoint it reflects much more of a European performance requirement than it does the American heritage of Dodge," said Marchionne.
      We read this one of two ways. Either the current incarnation of Giorgio cannot fit a HEMI V8 or is unable to handle the power output of high-performance versions like the Hellcat.
      As for the Chrysler 300, Marchionne hinted that it might not make a return.
      Source: Motor Authority
    • By William Maley
      FCA US Reports May 2018 Sales
      FCA US reports best month of retail sales since July 2005 Jeep® brand reports record May of total sales, up 29 percent Jeep Wrangler reports record May of total sales, up 26 percent Ram Light Duty retail sales rise 18 percent in May June 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 214,294 vehicles in May 2018, an 11 percent increase compared with sales of 193,040 vehicles in May 2017.

U.S. retail sales for the month rose 10 percent to 167,785, making it the highest month of retail sales since July 2005 when 219,045 vehicles were sold. It was also the best May since 2004. Retail sales accounted for 78 percent of total sales. Fleet sales accounted for 22 percent of total sales, a slight uptick from 21 percent for May 2017.

Jeep® Brand
      Jeep brand total sales rose 29 percent to 97,287 vehicles, making it the best May in the company’s history. Driving the brand was the Jeep Wrangler as total sales rose 26 percent to 25,102 vehicles. The results marked the best May ever. Meanwhile, Jeep Compass total sales rose to 17,327 vehicles, making it the best month of sales ever.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand total sales rose 2 percent to 51,884 vehicles compared with the previous year. Ram Light Duty retail sales rose 18 percent in May to 27,011 vehicles.   
      Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales declined 18 percent in May to 14,724 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago.   

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 46,581. The Dodge Journey notched a new May record as monthly sales increased 37 percent to 10,966 vehicles.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat declined 46 percent to 1,441 vehicles.  

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 2,377 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,175 sales, followed by Stelvio at 1,183 sales.
    • By William Maley
      Last year, the final Dodge Viper rolled down the Conner Avenue assembly line. The vehicle would once again enter the history books as one of the maddest sports cars. But a new report says the Viper will be making a comeback, albeit with some major changes.
      Car and Driver has posted their '25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2019–2022' piece and the Dodge Viper is on the list. The new model will retain its front-engine, rear-drive layout and spaceframe with independent suspensions front and rear. Extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber will help keep weight down. 
      One disappointment for Viper fans is the new model not having a V10. Instead, FCA is developing a new aluminum-block V8. A 550 horsepower naturally-aspirated version will serve as the base, with a more potent 700 horsepower supercharged variant to follow. A manual transmission of some sort is expected.
      Car and Driver predict that Dodge will show off the Viper at next year's Detroit Auto Show - which marks the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the original Viper. Production is expected to begin in late 2020 beginning with the convertible. The coupe is expected to follow a few years later.
      Car and Driver is quite confident, going as far to say "trust us: A new Viper is happening." We need some more evidence and possibly some spy photos before we hop aboard this train.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last year, the final Dodge Viper rolled down the Conner Avenue assembly line. The vehicle would once again enter the history books as one of the maddest sports cars. But a new report says the Viper will be making a comeback, albeit with some major changes.
      Car and Driver has posted their '25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2019–2022' piece and the Dodge Viper is on the list. The new model will retain its front-engine, rear-drive layout and spaceframe with independent suspensions front and rear. Extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber will help keep weight down. 
      One disappointment for Viper fans is the new model not having a V10. Instead, FCA is developing a new aluminum-block V8. A 550 horsepower naturally-aspirated version will serve as the base, with a more potent 700 horsepower supercharged variant to follow. A manual transmission of some sort is expected.
      Car and Driver predict that Dodge will show off the Viper at next year's Detroit Auto Show - which marks the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the original Viper. Production is expected to begin in late 2020 beginning with the convertible. The coupe is expected to follow a few years later.
      Car and Driver is quite confident, going as far to say "trust us: A new Viper is happening." We need some more evidence and possibly some spy photos before we hop aboard this train.
      Source: Car and Driver
  • My Clubs