The Car Connection Connects with the Versa

This car, at least in the higher trim, looks more than acceptable in person. I was very pleasantly surprised seeing it at the local auto show compared to what I was expecting. It seems to come across quite a bit more awkwardly in photos. The debut photos last September, showing the Versa in its most base trim with wheel covers and ultra-bland beige interior, were perplexing to say the least. What was Nissan thinking there? I see The Car Connection is still using those pictures in today's review. As a commuter car that could double for occasional freeway duty with a weekend full of gear, the Versa passes the eyeball test.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the EPA ratings, since initially Nissan was saying 38MPG combined for the CVT based on their testing. Perhaps in real world driving it will in fact be closer to 38MPG...I tend to get 2-4 MPG better than sticker in most every car I've owned.

This one is still on my radar screen...good balance of features, performance and price.

Edited by PeterJ

PeterJ, Nissan quietly restated the MPG ratings a few weeks ago. It still gets acceptable mileage but 38MPG would have been amazing, especially with the engine.

Ford and DCX seem to be missing from the sub-compact class, oddly. You may not make much off of these cars but they improve your image and CAFE scores, and bring in more sales.

2779 lbs! Wow. :(

I think the car looks great, from the back of the rear door to the front of the window at least. The front and back ends, from looking at that gray one at the top of the page, have very awkward lines and shapes. Maybe it does look better in person, most cars do.

PeterJ, Nissan quietly restated the MPG ratings a few weeks ago.  It still gets acceptable mileage but 38MPG would have been amazing, especially with the engine.

Ford and DCX seem to be missing from the sub-compact class, oddly.  You may not make much off of these cars but they improve your image and CAFE scores, and bring in more sales.

the Focus and Cobalt are aduqate to fill the segment. Both are good cars. Plus the Aveo. No one really wants anything smaller than a Focus or Cobalt and those 2 cars will get 95% the real world mpg any of the 'subcompacts' get. its just that they are not 'all new'.

2779 lbs! Wow.  :(

I noticed that, too. But, then again, the Versa is "B-Class" car, which means it is somewhere in between a Subcompact and a Compact. The interior, which is actually more spacious than the new Sentra, reflects this. Unfortunately, so does that porky curb weight.