Motor Trend Head2Head: GT350R vs. Z/28

Yes. But if you do either one of those some people get all upset.

Lost in all the hype and hoopla is the inconvenient fact that it was me who started this thread, it was me who posted the link, it was me who said it was a clean victory. The only thing I noted was the discrepancy in the dyno numbers.

Nobody replied. Check the time stamps, see for yourself.

Since nobody was interested in adding their two cent's worth, I decided to add mine. And mine is that this win will likely turn out to be a short-lived one because it appears that GM already has a new benchmark set to debut, whereas the Shelby seems to have targeted the previous one.

90% of what followed was unnecessary, at best. It gets old pretty quick.

But it makes no sense to just accept that kinda thing. Certainly I'm not going to.

Yes. But if you do either one of those some people get all upset.

Lost in all the hype and hoopla is the inconvenient fact that it was me who started this thread, it was me who posted the link, it was me who said it was a clean victory. The only thing I noted was the discrepancy in the dyno numbers.

Nobody replied. Check the time stamps, see for yourself.

Since nobody was interested in adding their two cent's worth, I decided to add mine. And mine is that this win will likely turn out to be a short-lived one because it appears that GM already has a new benchmark set to debut, whereas the Shelby seems to have targeted the previous one.

90% of what followed was unnecessary, at best. It gets old pretty quick.

But it makes no sense to just accept that kinda thing. Certainly I'm not going to.

Well yes, there is no way of posting a Ford vs GM thread without bitching across the board.. It's going to happen..

Yeah didn't you post this on Thanksgiving or something though? It's inevitable that people are busy with family and not the internet for a day.

Agreed. 90% was bickering and not even discussing the two track cars on track..sales? really? I'm surprised fuel economy never came up. lol

The one thing I don't understand is margain of victory. What is considered a good win and what is a bad win? Would a 2 second win around the given track be considered a "beat down"? 3 second? 4 second? Where is the line drawn for a victory that would be acceptable? And with that, people are downplaying how great the Z/28 is just because it is out of production. Just because it isn't being produced anymore doesn't make it all of a sudden a lesser car. Yes, there will be a few gnarly Alphas to come down the line but if we play the "wait till XXX comes out" that's just a childish game that can be played by anyone at any time and there is no real basis there. Just "what if's".

Also, I commented on the dynos but just no response. I'm not sure if you were posting to get under other people's skin or to have a legitimate conversation but I tried twice to talk about the dynos.

• Agree 1

It was just another weekend up here. I didn't intend to drop it on the equivalent of a slow news day.

Without knowing the specifics on course length I was still content to accept a margin of 1.4 seconds as a clear victory. Like I said, the OP didn't leave any of that in dispute.

I have pointed out that the Shelby's relatively high mass and scarcity of torque already. The weight advantage (over the even heavier Zeta) and suspension tuning were what got it the victory. Thing is, GM has already addressed both those issues (in rather dramatic fashion) in the two production model Alphas they have shown. So they're already on the case with the next Z/28.

Ultimately though it just boils down to GM has more to work with in this segment than Ford because of corporate mandate. GM still cares about V8 engines for the masses, GM still cares about RWD luxury and the engineering inherent to it. I'm fine with pointing it out because it's completely factual. Where things always go wrong is when people try to make counterarguments that have no factual support.

This is a very bad strategy to take.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1