• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Buick News: More Details Are Divulged On 2017 Buick Envision

Last week, we brought you details on the pricing structure on 2016 Buick Envision. We also learned some information about the 2017 model, including the base price, engine, and trim levels. Car and Driver has done a bit more digging and was able to pull some more details on the 2017 Envision.

We know that the base Envision will carry a sticker price of $34,990 (includes destination). From there, the prices increase to $36,975 for the Preferred and $38,645 for the Essence. All three trims feature the same 2.5L four-cylinder with 197 horsepower and 192 pound-feet. This engine comes paired with a six-speed automatic and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is only available on the Preferred and Essence.

The standard equipment list is extensive with automatic climate control, a backup camera, heated seats, and remote start standard across the range. The mid-range models get heated rear seats, blind spot warning, and leather as options.

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

Exciting options that I think will be warmly received.

I'm starting to not like this vehicle. 

Yeah. It looks kind of too soft...

And the interior. It's alright. But I think it is on par with like an Acura RDX.

i dug into their trims for 2107 a bit more on Buick.com.

The 2016 version was a rush job, as they just appeared to want to get something of a 2016 trim to market and that is why it is so expensive.  Only the loaded ones are for 2016.  This allows them to justify higher prices at the start.

They work in lesser trims in 2017 and the boat anchor 2.5.    I'm surprised its not something like a 1.8t as standard.  In any case, the base price of 35 or so its an ok place to start maybe and it does have power seat, dual climate, and remote start and other options an equivalent base chevy would not get.  So that helps eliminate crossover (no pun intended).

A front driver base at 35 and with some discounts is essentially a 32-33 thousand dollar ride.  Its above the Encore and has less content than say, a loaded Malibu Premiere.

I am sort of getting sick of the way Cadillac and buick are introducing these stupid trim level names (Lincoln does it too).  We don't want to give our cars real names any more but now we make up stupid trim names.   Select, Essence, etc.  Give me a break.

There is a too much of a price spread IMO to go from the boat anchor engine to the 2.0.  The market should sort out of it all the goodies and the better powertrain will guide buyers into the upper trims.

I don't think the market will support too many of these crossing the 40-42k price mark when so many other good choices are available.

I do agree about trim level names.  What is wrong with Luxury package, technology package and sport package, it works about on any car.  Things like Lincoln Continental Reserve are dumb, how do I know if Reserve is better than Select, or Select better than Limited, or Titanium better than Platinum.   It is all garbled, probably to confuse the customer into overpaying for options they don't want.

Problem with the Envision is the boat anchor 2.5 is priced higher than the 279 hp V6 Acura RDX.   The Envision should have a standard turbo 4 and cost about $2k less than the Lincoln MKC or Lexus NX.

• Upvote 1

It's priced ambitiously, but then again so are any European vehicles.

I'm been saying it before, a true test of brand growth is how the consumers respond to the new pricing.

It shouldn't be ingrained into any American automaker that they always MUST pursue being an excellent value.

Ultimately, do they make the ultimate car? Can they price it accordingly.

However, I do not like this vehicle, I think it is the wrong vehicle to pursue this kind of thinking.

• Upvote 1

Cadillac is making 10best sedans and they aren't selling because they screwed up the pricing and trims.

I don't see how Buick can afford to have the same mistakes when the design is blah / dated and the engines are not worth it either.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By regfootball
      Driven: 2018 Buick Regal Sportback Essence 2.0t
      (the original review is in this post.  Revised reviews are further down, in this post, and in  this other post)
      HIGHS:
      -Nice understated shape conceals a cleverly integrated hatchback design
      -'Decent' propulsion from 2.0t engine
      -Nicely shaped upper dash with touchsreen oriented slightly to driver.  Interesting at least from a design standpoint.
      -Sporting driving position and good room in both rows, mostly, plus the biggest benefit being improved leg room over previous model
      -Really nice cargo space, with seats up, or seats down, the cargo area of this vehicle and the flexibility of it in a car like this IMO is a major draw
      -View outside of this vehicle is improved over its platform mate (Malibu, my daily driver) due to the rear door glass being longer and taller.  View out the front and rear is essentially the same.
      -AWD availability is a nice plus, thanks Buick.
      LOWS:
      -I can't recall any of the GM vehicles I have driven with this ubiquitous 2.0t engine, where i have actually been wowed or impressed by it.  It has decent thrust, but honestly you gotta spool it up a bit, the tranny doesn't respond instantly, it's not a five star smooth tranny, and it's kind of rough and noisy overall as a powertrain (AT LEAST FOR IT'S PRICE / CLASS).  I was hoping the 2.0 would make the car match the near luxury description but I don't think it's overall a smooth enough powertrain to meet that claim.  It's neither smooth, nor sporting or exciting.  And this is with front wheel drive.  I will reserve final judgment until i get in the GS with the v6, which is the engine I think most people will really end up liking in this car.
      -Heavier than it's Malibu platform mate.  No doubt acceptable due to the larger engine, but the benefit of the extra weight doesn't manifest itself in any real tangible way anywhere in the ride and drive of the car.
      -Not really any quieter inside than my Malibu.  Strange, because this Buick is supposed to have quiet tuning, and goo in the tires to help make it quieter.  The ride isn't really any more plush, either.
      -Steering is sort of dead and mushy.  That's not GERMANIC now, is it.
      -NEED TO BE ABLE TO TURN OFF THE AUTOSTOP WHEN YOU WANT TO.
      -Not really much nicer inside than in my Malibu.  The lower dash is the same 'less expensive' plastic you see in cheap Chevy's.  The door panels are a little nicer, but not that much more.  Many switches and buttons are the same.  The console is nicer (I don't like the shifter centered in the console now actually, it's quite a reach) I guess...except for cupholders in front of the climate controls.  The upper dash material is an upgrade over the Malibu, but it's not a PREMIUM dash material either.
      -I can't really tell for sure if the seats are better.  My Malibu seats are poor.  The Regal seats seemed to hug me more, but they still felt thin and insubstantial.  The leather quality was slightly better, but still nothing to write home about. 
      -Rear head room suffers a bit with the hatch design.  I don't mind the tradeoff personally, but the Malibu retains a bit more headroom, and the Regal TourX really has much more....so get the wagon if rear head room matters.
      -Sunroof was nice to have considering how bunkerlike the Malibu can feel....but again the hatch design limits the size of the sunroof here compared to the Malibu's BAMR.  I can live with the compromise here myself, and again, the wagon will satisfy your urge for BAMR if you need it.  I would encourage GM to develop a way to integrate a larger moonroof with the hatch design.  I think it could be done, but would require time and money on a redesign effort.
      -Options / packages on this car are, simply put, stupid.  But that merits its own post.  At least in this car, the heated steering wheel and leather heated seats were both included.  You can actually get this car with heated steering wheel but without heated seats.  How f-cked up is that?  In 2019, Fusion, Toyota, and others will have things like blind spot and cross path detection as standard equipment.  And those are not 'premium' makes.
      -I'll let others decide if they think the styling is too tepid.  I don't mind the understated styling but do admit that the color selections that are available on this car leave me wanting.  I like the red on the GS, and the smoked pearl metallic is nice.  And Buick seems to think they should charge extra for paint colors when they don't make the ride and drive anything special.
      -pricing.  I think the average nature of this car would be easily forgiven if the pricing were in line with being an average car; not priced for a premium marque.  Like the LaCrosse and Envision, it is best to wait out the model year if you are buying and wait for the inevitable 7,000-10,000 or more in discounts...which might bring the pricing in line with what the vehicle really is.  You can't say this vehicle is appealing at the prices it is at now.  
      SUMMARY:
      This probably seems like a negative review, but you should consider it more of underwhelmed and let down.  This car as I drove it just doesn't have any kind of endearing personality to speak of!  At the end of the day, it took Buick two extra years to bring to the US it's own Malibu clone, which doesn't have much more to show for it.... apart from the clever hatch and base 2.0 engine upgrade over the 1.5.  I actually am very curious now to be among the first to try the 2019 Malibu 1.5t + CVT combo.  But that's an aside for another discussion.  The 2.0 that general motors puts in so many vehicles has never impressed me, and that's due more to it's character than anything.  I had hopes this would be the ONE CAR that it would feel sporting in; one that would make the car feel at least a little, like a SPORTS SEDAN.  Nope.  I will wait with baited breath to someday find a v6 GS to test, as i think it will be the only Regal worth anything.  At least worth anything more than just being another option in the midsize, genericar class.  And I hope Buick is working on a twin turbo six option as well for the GS (GSX?).  I tend to think this car won't move the needle in marketplace excitement until it has a tire shredder under the hood to brag about...The v6 will promise smoother revs and deeper lungs at least......... Still, as a replacement in the bottom end of the Buick lineup for the Verano, I am ok with this.  Just please, sex it up!

• By William Maley
      Ford's latest ST model, the 2019 Edge ST will be arriving at dealers later this summer with a base price of $43,350 (including destination). According to CarsDirect, the ST is $1,585 more expensive than the Edge Sport it replaces. But you're getting more car for the money.
      To begin, the Edge ST has a 2.7L EcoBoost V6 producing 335 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. The Sport's 2.7L EcoBoost only produced 315 hp and 350 lb-ft. There's also a new eight-speed automatic with rev-matching, retuned suspension, and a more aggressive body kit.
      An optional Performance Brake Package that brings forth larger brake rotors and red calipers will add $2,695 to the base price. But as CarsDirect notes, you'll need to add Equipment Group 401A to get the brake package. 401A includes a number of comfort and convenience features such as heated and ventilated front seats; 180-degree camera, hands-free liftgate, navigation, and Ford's CoPilot+ suite of driver aids for an additional $5,585.
      Source: CarsDirect

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford's latest ST model, the 2019 Edge ST will be arriving at dealers later this summer with a base price of $43,350 (including destination). According to CarsDirect, the ST is $1,585 more expensive than the Edge Sport it replaces. But you're getting more car for the money.
      To begin, the Edge ST has a 2.7L EcoBoost V6 producing 335 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. The Sport's 2.7L EcoBoost only produced 315 hp and 350 lb-ft. There's also a new eight-speed automatic with rev-matching, retuned suspension, and a more aggressive body kit.
      An optional Performance Brake Package that brings forth larger brake rotors and red calipers will add $2,695 to the base price. But as CarsDirect notes, you'll need to add Equipment Group 401A to get the brake package. 401A includes a number of comfort and convenience features such as heated and ventilated front seats; 180-degree camera, hands-free liftgate, navigation, and Ford's CoPilot+ suite of driver aids for an additional $5,585.
      Source: CarsDirect
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai has announced the pricing for the redesigned Santa Fe that will be arriving later this summer. Pricing will range from $26,480 for the base SE FWD equipped with the 2.4L four-cylinder (185 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque) to $39,780 for the Ultimate AWD with the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder (235 hp and 260 lb-ft). Prices include a $980 destination charge.
      So what do you get for your money?
      SE: 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility; and Hyundai SmartSense (suite of active and passive safety features including automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, and high beam assist). SEL: Keyless entry and start, heated side mirrors, 7-inch color screen for the instrument cluster, power driver's seat, and heated front seats. SEL Plus: 18-inch wheels, hands-free tailgate, dual-zone automatic climate control system, and a 12-speaker Infinity audio system with a subwoofer. Limited: LED headlights and taillights; panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery, and power passenger's seat. Ultimate: Surround-view camera system, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, color heads up display, and a 8-inch infotainment system with navigation. Be aware that the Santa Fe will be replacing the Sport in Hyundai's lineup. The current Santa Fe with three-rows will be renamed the Santa Fe XL. It will be replaced by a new three-row crossover in the near future.
      Source: Hyundai

Hyundai Announces Pricing for All-New 2019 Santa Fe
      Entry level price only increases $550 easily offset with more content when compared with the 2018 Santa Fe Sport Fourth generation model offers family-oriented interior, loaded with practical cutting-edge technologies, bold exterior looks and Hyundai SmartSense safety and convenience features FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., June 27, 2018 – Hyundai Motor America has announced pricing for its all-new 2019 Santa Fe, starting at $25,500 for the SE 2.4 model. New standard features on the 2019 Santa Fe SE trim include:
      Hyundai SmartSense Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist Safe Exit Assist Lane Keeping Assist Driver Attention Warning Smart Cruise Control with Stop and Go High Beam Assist Bolder design Increased visibility, cabin and storage space Idle Stop and Go Eight-speed automatic transmission Improved EPA estimated fuel economy of 25 mpg combined Rear View Monitor with parking guidance Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™ Dual front and rear 2.1-amp USB charge ports The all-new Santa Fe includes all of this with a small price increase of $550 compared with the 2018 Santa Fe Sport.
      The five-passenger Santa Fe Sport is now called Santa Fe. The current long wheelbase three-row, seven-passenger model called Santa Fe will be renamed Santa Fe XL for the 2019 model year. An all-new three-row, eight-passenger SUV is currently under development and will carry an all-new name.
      “The new Santa Fe underlines our commitment to safety through new standard features like Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “We have been a leader in adopting key safety features into our vehicles at attractive prices. Families are going to really appreciate Santa Fe’s blend of technology, interior space and striking looks.”
      Model
      Drivetrain
      MSRP*
      SE 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $25,500
      SE 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $27,200
      SEL 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $27,600
      SEL 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $29,300
      SEL Plus 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $29,800
      SEL Plus 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $31,500
      Limited 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $32,600
      Limited 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $34,300
      Ultimate 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $35,450
      Ultimate 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $37,150
      Limited 2.0T
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $34,200
      Limited 2.0T
      All-Wheel Drive
      $35,900
      Ultimate 2.0T
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $37,100
      Ultimate 2.0T
      All-Wheel Drive
      $38,800
      *Freight charges for the 2019 model year Santa Fe are $980. Pricing in this release does not include freight.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai has announced the pricing for the redesigned Santa Fe that will be arriving later this summer. Pricing will range from $26,480 for the base SE FWD equipped with the 2.4L four-cylinder (185 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque) to $39,780 for the Ultimate AWD with the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder (235 hp and 260 lb-ft). Prices include a $980 destination charge.
      So what do you get for your money?
      SE: 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility; and Hyundai SmartSense (suite of active and passive safety features including automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, and high beam assist). SEL: Keyless entry and start, heated side mirrors, 7-inch color screen for the instrument cluster, power driver's seat, and heated front seats. SEL Plus: 18-inch wheels, hands-free tailgate, dual-zone automatic climate control system, and a 12-speaker Infinity audio system with a subwoofer. Limited: LED headlights and taillights; panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery, and power passenger's seat. Ultimate: Surround-view camera system, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, color heads up display, and a 8-inch infotainment system with navigation. Be aware that the Santa Fe will be replacing the Sport in Hyundai's lineup. The current Santa Fe with three-rows will be renamed the Santa Fe XL. It will be replaced by a new three-row crossover in the near future.
      Source: Hyundai

Hyundai Announces Pricing for All-New 2019 Santa Fe
      Entry level price only increases $550 easily offset with more content when compared with the 2018 Santa Fe Sport Fourth generation model offers family-oriented interior, loaded with practical cutting-edge technologies, bold exterior looks and Hyundai SmartSense safety and convenience features FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., June 27, 2018 – Hyundai Motor America has announced pricing for its all-new 2019 Santa Fe, starting at $25,500 for the SE 2.4 model. New standard features on the 2019 Santa Fe SE trim include:
      Hyundai SmartSense Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist Safe Exit Assist Lane Keeping Assist Driver Attention Warning Smart Cruise Control with Stop and Go High Beam Assist Bolder design Increased visibility, cabin and storage space Idle Stop and Go Eight-speed automatic transmission Improved EPA estimated fuel economy of 25 mpg combined Rear View Monitor with parking guidance Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™ Dual front and rear 2.1-amp USB charge ports The all-new Santa Fe includes all of this with a small price increase of $550 compared with the 2018 Santa Fe Sport.
      The five-passenger Santa Fe Sport is now called Santa Fe. The current long wheelbase three-row, seven-passenger model called Santa Fe will be renamed Santa Fe XL for the 2019 model year. An all-new three-row, eight-passenger SUV is currently under development and will carry an all-new name.
      “The new Santa Fe underlines our commitment to safety through new standard features like Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “We have been a leader in adopting key safety features into our vehicles at attractive prices. Families are going to really appreciate Santa Fe’s blend of technology, interior space and striking looks.”
      Model
      Drivetrain
      MSRP*
      SE 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $25,500
      SE 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $27,200
      SEL 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $27,600
      SEL 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $29,300
      SEL Plus 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $29,800
      SEL Plus 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $31,500
      Limited 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $32,600
      Limited 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $34,300
      Ultimate 2.4
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $35,450
      Ultimate 2.4
      All-Wheel Drive
      $37,150
      Limited 2.0T
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $34,200
      Limited 2.0T
      All-Wheel Drive
      $35,900
      Ultimate 2.0T
      Front-Wheel Drive
      $37,100
      Ultimate 2.0T
      All-Wheel Drive
      $38,800
      *Freight charges for the 2019 model year Santa Fe are $980. Pricing in this release does not include freight.
  • My Clubs