dfelt

The Tesla of Hybrid Trucks and UTV's, Nikola?

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

The Tesla of Hybrid Trucks and UTV's, Nikola?

post-12-0-45650600-1463025357_thumb.jpg

Nikola Motor Company is a 3 year old auto company that has just come out of skunk mode. They announced this week two items that are a passion of the CEO. First is the Nikola One Electric Semi-Truck and the second is the Nikola Zero their electric UTV.

post-12-0-38649900-1463025354_thumb.jpg

Starting off with their Nikola Zero slated for delivery in mid 2017 is a 150 mile Range 400 volt, 520 HP / 476 lb-ft of torque 4x4 all wheel drive off road quad. This UTV has a solar roof for powering all electronics allowing the battery pack to be dedicated to the powertrain. You can reserve yours now for only $750.00 based on the MSRP of $42,000.

post-12-0-45278200-1463025351_thumb.jpg

The Nikola One is their electric Semi-Truck. This truck is a 6x6 100% pure electric drive with zero idle. 2,000 HP / 3700 lb-ft of torque with a 1200 mile range, regenerative braking, LNG Turbine generator for charging the battery pack on the go. 

post-12-0-81828900-1463025349_thumb.jpg
post-12-0-39813900-1463025356_thumb.jpg

You can review their products in detail here at their web site.

WTF? 

How so? Even Paccar the owner of Peterbilt and Kenworth have concept trucks looking like this with a single access door running on CNG, LNG or Bio Diesel. It was only a matter of time before someone decided to apply what the Trains are powered by, electric motors with LNG generator.

The CEO is a tree hugger and wanted a fun outdoor UTV that did not pollute, so now we see their drawing of their green UTV.

Personally I really like these new aero Semi's.

Might as well be the next Optimus Prime....

Cool stuff, but my first reaction is still WTF....

That would make a very cool update to Optimus! :D

IMO, the fuel savings, emissions reductions, and  lower maintenance costs of hybrid drive will supplant present technology in semis. Isn't kind of dumb that an 18 wheeler going down a grade uses engine and friction braking to keep speed levels safe, thus requiring eventual R&R of components worn out doing this? And when the 18 wheeler is stuck on the turnpike as an accident is cleared, the diesel is burning fuel and spewing fumes. And, if that rig is on a four percent upgrade, when traffic starts again, the torque-less  wonder, must go through 12 gear changes to reach speed. When capital cost of hybrid technology gets low enough, the end of the present big rig will be upon us. This is an area that I think a full EV will never gain traction, unless roads have some sort of inductive rail to feed charge. In trucking, the business wants: the rig to be moving with cargo as much as possible, so charge down times are a problem to go along with added battery capacity adding weight to the system that must be subtracted from cargo. Also, charge drain rate goes up exponentially with speed and, with the inflection curve of a big truck being closer to low speeds than cars, it becomes quite a drag. Motor-hybrid systems can optimize power production to be at its most efficient at higher operating speeds, thus providing a factor to counteract drag loss. In an EV, because the power was produced remotely, one can only watch it go down the drain.

There are two revolutions going on in vehicle technology: electric power as a means of transmitting torque to drive wheels in either a full or "blended with mechanical" mode and battery packs substituting for an ICE and fuel tank as a means to source on board power. 

And it is all good.

IMO, the fuel savings, emissions reductions, and  lower maintenance costs of hybrid drive will supplant present technology in semis. Isn't kind of dumb that an 18 wheeler going down a grade uses engine and friction braking to keep speed levels safe, thus requiring eventual R&R of components worn out doing this? And when the 18 wheeler is stuck on the turnpike as an accident is cleared, the diesel is burning fuel and spewing fumes. And, if that rig is on a four percent upgrade, when traffic starts again, the torque-less  wonder, must go through 12 gear changes to reach speed. When capital cost of hybrid technology gets low enough, the end of the present big rig will be upon us. This is an area that I think a full EV will never gain traction, unless roads have some sort of inductive rail to feed charge. In trucking, the business wants: the rig to be moving with cargo as much as possible, so charge down times are a problem to go along with added battery capacity adding weight to the system that must be subtracted from cargo. Also, charge drain rate goes up exponentially with speed and, with the inflection curve of a big truck being closer to low speeds than cars, it becomes quite a drag. Motor-hybrid systems can optimize power production to be at its most efficient at higher operating speeds, thus providing a factor to counteract drag loss. In an EV, because the power was produced remotely, one can only watch it go down the drain.

There are two revolutions going on in vehicle technology: electric power as a means of transmitting torque to drive wheels in either a full or "blended with mechanical" mode and battery packs substituting for an ICE and fuel tank as a means to source on board power. 

And it is all good.

These are NOT a pure EV Semi Solution, but a hybrid. Clearly if you knew EV technology you would never say this would not gain traction.

Unlike petrol engines and the multitude of transmission shifts especially on grade where they take forever to gain speed, EV is 100% Torque from zero, much easier to get up to speed. As proven in the train industry, electric motors on the wheels with a generator is superior to the current diesel motor powertrains.

This solution is a fast fill LNG or Liquid Natural Gas so you are not having to charge long term these trucks, plus they do a fast charge so the battery pack is capable of being fully charged in the regulated down time that the driver must sleep. Yet with the LNG generator, these new Hybrid trucks have 1200 mile range so they are more than able to cover the 16hr days a truck drive puts in before regulated sleep time / down time.

Future is HYBRID for Semis and unlike stuck on a turnpike during a storm, accident whatever, they can easily not spew any emissions at all.

Eventually this is a logical step in the direction of pure EV semis which is a ways off.

• Upvote 1

I read this last week and I thought the IDEA is freakin great! I know it would be difficult to get up and running but if they would work a deal with a major company running very similar routes and build a refueling infrastructure around that I think that would be a great start.  Plus, 1200 miles of range? It isn't like the refueling stations need to be too close together. I you could eliminate/cut down the pollution of even 1 out of 100 semis on the road I would have to believe that is a pretty decent amount of crap kept out of the air in a year's time. 

And it is all good.

These are NOT a pure EV Semi Solution, but a hybrid. Clearly if you knew EV technology you would never say this would not gain traction.

Unlike petrol engines and the multitude of transmission shifts especially on grade where they take forever to gain speed, EV is 100% Torque from zero, much easier to get up to speed. As proven in the train industry, electric motors on the wheels with a generator is superior to the current diesel motor powertrains.

This solution is a fast fill LNG or Liquid Natural Gas so you are not having to charge long term these trucks, plus they do a fast charge so the battery pack is capable of being fully charged in the regulated down time that the driver must sleep. Yet with the LNG generator, these new Hybrid trucks have 1200 mile range so they are more than able to cover the 16hr days a truck drive puts in before regulated sleep time / down time.

Future is HYBRID for Semis and unlike stuck on a turnpike during a storm, accident whatever, they can easily not spew any emissions at all.

Eventually this is a logical step in the direction of pure EV semis which is a ways off.

By full EV, I meant a vehicle that has only a battery and electric drive motor. And not gaining traction meant the market with respect to a vehicle that has only a battery and electric drive motor. It was rushed (crap) writing on my part. 

The semi that is the subject of this thread is excellent:

An on-board CNG turbine generator is clean, efficient means of producing power

As you pointed out, full electric drive has ample torque 

The battery recovers deceleration energy to improve the overall efficiency of the system

Any added capital cost, if it still exists, vs using diesel driving a mechanical transmission is made up for by reduced fuel cost and, IMO, less maintenance.

Less emissions keeps the air cleaner

My argument against a semi that has only a battery and electric drive motor is based on the added capital cost and weight to provide range. However, technological developments surely could change that. For example, cost per kwh of storage capacity is reaching $100 far faster than predicted in 2010. And batteries, due to their inherent modular construction, can be fabricated to allow for quick R&R at a rest stop. The rests stop can charge up the removed, depleted unit and have it ready for the next truck to come along. 

I read this last week and I thought the IDEA is freakin great! I know it would be difficult to get up and running but if they would work a deal with a major company running very similar routes and build a refueling infrastructure around that I think that would be a great start.  Plus, 1200 miles of range? It isn't like the refueling stations need to be too close together. I you could eliminate/cut down the pollution of even 1 out of 100 semis on the road I would have to believe that is a pretty decent amount of crap kept out of the air in a year's time. 

That crap is bad news. LNG powered ships are being proposed to make marine propulsion more environmentally friendly. 

http://fortune.com/2015/07/23/natural-gas-fueled-shipping/

TOTE claims that the Marlin class ships will emit 98 percent less nitrogen oxide, 97 percent less sulfur, and 72 percent less carbon dioxide than comparable conventional ships.

That crap is bad news. LNG powered ships are being proposed to make marine propulsion more environmentally friendly. 

TOTE claims that the Marlin class ships will emit 98 percent less nitrogen oxide, 97 percent less sulfur, and 72 percent less carbon dioxide than comparable conventional ships.

I guess I'm missing something?  Why is it bad news? If LNG is cleaner I would think that's a good thing. 

You also forgot a pretty importance piece of the above paragraph, "the ships are expected to produce 98 percent less sulfur oxides, 71 percent fewer nitric oxides, 71 percent less carbon dioxide, and a jaw-dropping 99 percent reduction in particulate emissions, all while increasing the vessels' fuel efficiency compared to conventional diesel engines."

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

And it is all good.

By full EV, I meant a vehicle that has only a battery and electric drive motor. And not gaining traction meant the market with respect to a vehicle that has only a battery and electric drive motor. It was rushed (crap) writing on my part. 

The semi that is the subject of this thread is excellent:

An on-board CNG turbine generator is clean, efficient means of producing power

As you pointed out, full electric drive has ample torque 

The battery recovers deceleration energy to improve the overall efficiency of the system

Any added capital cost, if it still exists, vs using diesel driving a mechanical transmission is made up for by reduced fuel cost and, IMO, less maintenance.

Less emissions keeps the air cleaner

My argument against a semi that has only a battery and electric drive motor is based on the added capital cost and weight to provide range. However, technological developments surely could change that. For example, cost per kwh of storage capacity is reaching $100 far faster than predicted in 2010. And batteries, due to their inherent modular construction, can be fabricated to allow for quick R&R at a rest stop. The rests stop can charge up the removed, depleted unit and have it ready for the next truck to come along. 

Paccar, owner of Kenworth and Peterbuilt is building LNG trucks for use around the world and clearly some trucking companies like UPS, Walmart and others are helping to build the few LNG stations needed at central hubs to refill these trucks. I suspect we will see a change over much faster due to the lower cost of fuel but increase in torque these motors produce due to the higher octane of the fuel.

Figure in like what started this thread hybrid semis and you have a very efficient freight hauling solution with less pollution to the air.

A logical smart step towards the day of pure EV semis only.

I guess I'm missing something?  Why is it bad news? If LNG is cleaner I would think that's a good thing. 

You also forgot a pretty importance piece of the above paragraph, "the ships are expected to produce 98 percent less sulfur oxides, 71 percent fewer nitric oxides, 71 percent less carbon dioxide, and a jaw-dropping 99 percent reduction in particulate emissions, all while increasing the vessels' fuel efficiency compared to conventional diesel engines."

The crap I was referring to is diesel emissions which is what you called them. 

Either way you look at this, it is a win win for the planet and our lungs! :D

So Nikola has poked the Beast Musk, as he now is working on a Semi Solution. Interesting! :scratchchin:

Makes one wonder just how long before cities require these trucks internally for local deliveries. :scratchchin:

Interestingly, the Norfolk Southern Railroad did an experiment with a battery powered locomotive with no regenerator. Performance hasn't been very good and it is mostly just a showpiece right now.

GE was working on a Hybrid Locomotive about 10 years ago, but nothing really came of it.  Right now, locos just exhaust their regenerative braking out as heat.  I wonder, as battery tech has improved over the last 10 years if someone will give it another go. 

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Interestingly, the Norfolk Southern Railroad did an experiment with a battery powered locomotive with no regenerator. Performance hasn't been very good and it is mostly just a showpiece right now.

GE was working on a Hybrid Locomotive about 10 years ago, but nothing really came of it.  Right now, locos just exhaust their regenerative braking out as heat.  I wonder, as battery tech has improved over the last 10 years if someone will give it another go. 

That would be cool to see if it makes sense for the trains now especially with the trains that are using LNG for the generators instead of diesel, Maybe time to rethink the Hybrid Train.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      Tesla Semi starting off with a Bang, Can Tesla Deliver?
      Tesla in the last week has gone from zero to hero in regards to helping companies that have fleets of semi trucks potentially reduce their carbon footprint. 
      Anheuser-Busch started off with pre-ordering 40 of the Semi's. This was then followed by Sysco ordering 50 themselves. This week we now hear that PepsiCo has placed an order for 100 EV Semi's. Story is all the same, reduce costs of maintenance and fuel plus adding silence into their night / early morning deliveries. 
      Sysco being one of the largest food delivery companies along with Bud's order places it at $13.5 million in semi value. PepsiCo adds another $15 million so a total of $28.5 million. Then Wal-Mart places an order for 15 of the trucks for testing with a price of $2.25 million. DHL has also ordered 10 of the Semi's for testing in the US market so another $1.5 . J.B. Hunt and Ryder truck hauling lease companies have also placed large orders they say but have declined to say how many at this time for EV Semis. This brings in the last 2 weeks since the semi's introduction about 200 pre-orders of the trucks or about $30 million book value with an unknown amount from two of the biggest leasing truck companies.
      PepsiCo has 10,000 semi's alone on the roads of North America and has a goal to reduce greenhouse gas production on the road by 30% by 2030. Seems it could be even more trucks to be ordered to help them achieve this number. Over all, Tesla has had some game changing ideas, yet with the Tesla 3 mess of building the cars, one does have to wonder if Tesla can deliver and get these trucks to market by 2019.
      It seems that this has been good for Tesla stock as the more truck orders being placed has continued to push up the stock price.
      https://binged.it/2BXGYSp
      Story References 
      Autoblog story
      Reuters Story
      Wall Street Journal Story
      Car Freaks Story
    • By William Maley
      More than 90 percent of Tesla Model S and X models that roll off the assembly line require fixes before they are shipped. This figure comes from nine former and current Tesla employees that spoke to Reuters this week citing data from the company's internal tracking system.
      At Tesla “so much goes into rework after the car is done ... that’s where their money is being spent,” said a former supervisor.
      Industry experts say it is critical for an automaker to get the quality right before initial production as repairs waste time and money. Other automakers such as Toyota only have an average of "fewer than 10 percent of their cars" requiring some sort of fix.
      Some of this can be attributed to Tesla's pressure to keep the production line moving, even when there was some sort of issue. This caused certain batches of vehicles to not have various parts such as windshields or bumpers. The understanding according to the workers is they would be fixed later.
      Other issues such as doors not closing or missing trim pieces show Tesla is still struggling with getting the basics right.
      Defects included “doors not closing, material trim, missing parts, all kinds of stuff. Loose objects, water leaks, you name it,” another former supervisor said. “We’ve been building a Model S since 2012. How do we still have water leaks?”
      Tesla calls models with quality issues “kickbacks” and are either fixed on the production line or head to one of Tesla’s outdoor parking lots for repair. According to the workers, one of the lots "has exceeded 2,000 vehicles at times".
      “Our goal is to produce perfect cars for every customer. Therefore, we review every vehicle for even the smallest refinement. Most customers would never notice the work that is done post production, but we care about even a fraction of a millimeter body gap difference or a slight paint gloss texture. We then feed these improvements back to production in a pursuit of perfection,” Tesla said in a statement to Reuters.
      The company declined to provide any post-assembly defect rates and denied those repair lots exist.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      More than 90 percent of Tesla Model S and X models that roll off the assembly line require fixes before they are shipped. This figure comes from nine former and current Tesla employees that spoke to Reuters this week citing data from the company's internal tracking system.
      At Tesla “so much goes into rework after the car is done ... that’s where their money is being spent,” said a former supervisor.
      Industry experts say it is critical for an automaker to get the quality right before initial production as repairs waste time and money. Other automakers such as Toyota only have an average of "fewer than 10 percent of their cars" requiring some sort of fix.
      Some of this can be attributed to Tesla's pressure to keep the production line moving, even when there was some sort of issue. This caused certain batches of vehicles to not have various parts such as windshields or bumpers. The understanding according to the workers is they would be fixed later.
      Other issues such as doors not closing or missing trim pieces show Tesla is still struggling with getting the basics right.
      Defects included “doors not closing, material trim, missing parts, all kinds of stuff. Loose objects, water leaks, you name it,” another former supervisor said. “We’ve been building a Model S since 2012. How do we still have water leaks?”
      Tesla calls models with quality issues “kickbacks” and are either fixed on the production line or head to one of Tesla’s outdoor parking lots for repair. According to the workers, one of the lots "has exceeded 2,000 vehicles at times".
      “Our goal is to produce perfect cars for every customer. Therefore, we review every vehicle for even the smallest refinement. Most customers would never notice the work that is done post production, but we care about even a fraction of a millimeter body gap difference or a slight paint gloss texture. We then feed these improvements back to production in a pursuit of perfection,” Tesla said in a statement to Reuters.
      The company declined to provide any post-assembly defect rates and denied those repair lots exist.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Tesla is known for building quick vehicles, but they're also known for burning through a lot of cash. Bloomberg recently crunched some numbers on how fast Tesla goes through money and the amount is quite shocking.
      According to their data, Tesla has been burning through $8,000 per minute (about $480,000 in an hour) for the past 12 months. At this rate, Bloomberg predicts that Tesla could run out of money by next August.
      Tesla spending money like it is going out of style is not all that surprising. The automaker is trying to ramp up production of the Model 3 along with dealing with various issues. Still, the $8,000 per minute figure gives us an idea of how far Tesla still has to go before exiting what it calls 'production hell'.
      Investors still are bullish on the electric car builder, with a share price of $317.81 at the close of trading yesterday. Tesla also has a market capitalization of more than $53 billion, beating the likes of Ford ($48 billion). The difference being is that Ford is able to consistently make a profit.
      Tesla says they have enough cash to meet its target of building 5,000 Model 3 sedans per week by the end of March, and expects to “generate significant cash flows from operating activities” afterward. The company is also reservations on their Roadster due in 2020* to help raise funds. Buyers will need to plop down $50,000 for the standard model or $250,000 for the Founders Edition. Tesla will only produce 1,000 models of the Founders Edition, meaning they could possibly produce $250 million in income. 
      “Whether they can last another 10 months or a year, he needs money, and quickly,” said Kevin Tynan, senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. Tynan estimates that Tesla needs to raise $2 billion or more in capital by mid-2018 to stay afloat.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Tesla is known for building quick vehicles, but they're also known for burning through a lot of cash. Bloomberg recently crunched some numbers on how fast Tesla goes through money and the amount is quite shocking.
      According to their data, Tesla has been burning through $8,000 per minute (about $480,000 in an hour) for the past 12 months. At this rate, Bloomberg predicts that Tesla could run out of money by next August.
      Tesla spending money like it is going out of style is not all that surprising. The automaker is trying to ramp up production of the Model 3 along with dealing with various issues. Still, the $8,000 per minute figure gives us an idea of how far Tesla still has to go before exiting what it calls 'production hell'.
      Investors still are bullish on the electric car builder, with a share price of $317.81 at the close of trading yesterday. Tesla also has a market capitalization of more than $53 billion, beating the likes of Ford ($48 billion). The difference being is that Ford is able to consistently make a profit.
      Tesla says they have enough cash to meet its target of building 5,000 Model 3 sedans per week by the end of March, and expects to “generate significant cash flows from operating activities” afterward. The company is also reservations on their Roadster due in 2020* to help raise funds. Buyers will need to plop down $50,000 for the standard model or $250,000 for the Founders Edition. Tesla will only produce 1,000 models of the Founders Edition, meaning they could possibly produce $250 million in income. 
      “Whether they can last another 10 months or a year, he needs money, and quickly,” said Kevin Tynan, senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. Tynan estimates that Tesla needs to raise $2 billion or more in capital by mid-2018 to stay afloat.
      Source: Bloomberg
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook