Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Samsung's new 512GB SSD is incredibly small

+1 ^ I agree with Drew that the M2 PCI Express SSD drives are awesome be it in a desktop or laptop, it really makes the machine fly. I have tested this on both windows and linux and have to say this is the only way to go moving forward for your computer.

Price has come way down also and performance is freakin amazing.

post-12-0-80839900-1464789842_thumb.jpg

One thing though....

the problem with Solid state drives is still their reliability over the long term. Okay...no moving parts, but the memory cores/thingamajiggers.....they degrade over time, they have a finite number of uses.

A HDD with the platters and magnetic head can be rewritten an infinite number of times without degrading it.

One thing though....

the problem with Solid state drives is still their reliability over the long term. Okay...no moving parts, but the memory cores/thingamajiggers.....they degrade over time, they have a finite number of uses.

A HDD with the platters and magnetic head can be rewritten an infinite number of times without degrading it.

A traditional HDD most certainly has a shelf life though. My SSD in my MacBook Pro has been going strong for over three years with more RAW file rewrites than be counted by Stepehn Hawking. No complaints at all on my end. I will never use a HDD again.

One thing though....

A traditional HDD most certainly has a shelf life though. My SSD in my MacBook Pro has been going strong for over three years with more RAW file rewrites than be counted by Stepehn Hawking. No complaints at all on my end. I will never use a HDD again.

Agree with Surreal, that SSD is the future and for many, the whole fear of SSD failures is not an issue like it was 4-5 years ago. Lately the SSDs have pretty strong life.

Now for cold storage of data, you can and should use spinning drives I feel due to the much lower cost. Yet enterprise SSDs are proving that long life is very possible with SSDs. Like NASA, the tech eventually trickles down to the retail level.

One thing though....

Agree with Surreal, that SSD is the future and for many, the whole fear of SSD failures is not an issue like it was 4-5 years ago. Lately the SSDs have pretty strong life.

Now for cold storage of data, you can and should use spinning drives I feel due to the much lower cost. Yet enterprise SSDs are proving that long life is very possible with SSDs. Like NASA, the tech eventually trickles down to the retail level.

That's what I do. I have a pair of 2TB external HDDs for my backup and just photos. Degradation worries are a thing of the past for the most part and I have had no issues whatsoever with SSD. The speed is irreplaceable.

• Agree 1

I recently opened my laptop to upgrade my RAM to 16gb, and found the primary drive bay empty. I figured that's where my 256 gb SSD would be, so I looked around and found it... basically the size of two postage stamps side by side. So I have an open slot for a second SSD in the future!

But yeah, my laptop is two years old, so I'm not surprised these new chips are like micro SD cards.