William Maley

Quick Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium

Whenever you walk onto a dealer’s lot and look at the selection of midsize sedans, they are for the most part equipped with their base four-cylinder engine. It is what most people buy as they provide the balance of power and fuel economy they are looking for. But among the base four-cylinders lie a few of the models equipped with the more powerful engine, whether it be a turbocharged four-cylinder or V6. Are you missing out by not going with the larger engine? We decided to investigate this with the recently updated 2016 Volkswagen Passat and its optional V6.

The V6 in question is a 3.6 with 280 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This engine also powers the CC and Touareg. Drop it into the Passat and it makes the vehicle a hot-rod. If you’re not careful with the accelerator when leaving a stop, you will spin the front tires easily. Once you figure out how lightly you need to step on the accelerator when the light turns green, you’ll be impressed at how fast the Passat pickups speed. More impressive is how V6 goes about its business with barely any noise or vibrations. I know four-cylinders, in general, have gotten better in terms of NVH, but the V6 still holds a clear advantage in this regard.

There are some pitfalls the Passat’s V6 option. First is the standard DSG dual-clutch transmission. At low speeds, this transmission exhibits hesitation and causes the vehicle lurch and even bog down. The DSG does get its act together at higher speeds where it delivers some of the fastest shifts in the class. But I can’t help but wonder how much better it would have been if the V6 was paired with an automatic. Second is fuel economy. The Passat is rated by the EPA at 20 City/28 Highway/23 Combined, which is the lowest fuel economy numbers in the class. Our average for week reflects this with an average of 22.1 MPG.

In terms of the ride, the Passat feels like a big American sedan. Bumps and road noise barely make their way inside, making it the perfect long-distance cruiser. Around corners, the Passat shows a little bit of body roll. Steering feels direct, but I did find myself wanting a bit more weight.

Volkswagen made some much-needed changes to the Passat’s exterior. The front end gets a larger grille, new headlights, and a reshaped hood. Other changes include a new trunk lid and revised wheels. Yes, the Passat still looks a bit dull when compared to the competition. But to be fair, the changes do give the Passat some semblance of style. The interior hasn’t changed much since we checked out the Passat back in 2014, and that isn’t a bad thing. There is still the well laid out dashboard and a spacious back seat that could rival flagship luxury sedans. New for 2016 is the ability to run Apple CarPlay and Android Auto through the infotainment system. Unlike some of other the vehicles I have tried with CarPlay, I didn’t run into any issues. The system recognized my phone within seconds of plugging it in and brought up the CarPlay moments thereafter. Also, I found that none of the apps I used through CarPlay crashed or have some sort of other problem.

There is one big problem with the V6 option for the Passat, the price. To get into the V6, you need to opt for the top SEL Premium trim which starts at $36,835. Add in destination and you’re looking at a final price of $37,655. You do get a lot of equipment such as blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, dual-zone climate control, navigation, and Fender audio system as standard. But that same amount of money can get you into a decently equipped luxury sedan. Making this more problematic is you can get the SEL Premium with the 1.8 turbo for only $2,300 less. The 1.8 turbo is a great engine as it delivers decent power and refinement, and features excellent fuel economy figures (25 City/38 Highway/29 Combined).

The Passat’s V6 option isn’t as great as you might think. The engine gives the model some real thrust, but, the 1.8T feels just as fast and doesn’t have to visit the gas station as often. Plus the high point of entry makes this a non-starter for more people. Think of it this way, the Passat V6 is the model that will sell you into getting a lower trim of the Passat or even another midsize sedan.

Disclaimer: Volkswagen Provided the Passat, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2016
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Passat
Trim: V6 SEL Premium
Engine: 3.6L FSI VR6
Driveline: Six-Speed Dual-Clutch Automatic, Front-Wheel Drive
Horsepower @ RPM: 280 @ 6,200
Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 2,500
Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 20/28/23
Curb Weight: 3,571 lbs
Location of Manufacture: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Base Price: $36,835
As Tested Price: $37,655 (Includes $820.00 Destination Charge)

Options:
N/A

View full article

You may want to put "Passat" in the title.. It took a decent amount of reading to figure out what vehicle you were talking about. 

You may want to put "Passat" in the title.. It took a decent amount of reading to figure out what vehicle you were talking about. 

It has been fixed. (Good thing I haven't posted it on any of the social networks yet).

• Upvote 1

It has been fixed. (Good thing I haven't posted it on any of the social networks yet).

:thumbsup:

I disagree. I did not find mind many cross-shopping the 2 in the first place. People bought the 1.8 car- which really is quite good- for family toting and daily driving, and people bought the V6 car for exactly what this article says the car excels at- long distance driving. People who traveled for work or had long commutes. I had a lot of people switch from the CC to a loaded Passat V6. It's a no-brainer. While it lacks the slinky body of the CC, it can be had with almost all the tech, better ride quality, more room, and for much less money.

That said, the car WOULD be better with an 8-speed auto. VW really needs to focus on making their next gen cars feel more Euro. The Passat is a solid car, but it's lacking in character and certainly not what a lot of VW buyers expect out of their offerings. 

I like the Passat's epic roominess, and the fit interior and exterior of panels is actually very good.

With the V6 option, it's almost like the revenge of the 9th Generation Impala, because both cars in terms of styling are cut from the same cloth.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Automakers have been bailing out of various auto shows for the past few years. Case in point, a number of German automakers pulling out of the Detroit show for 2019. Volkswagen is the latest one to announce that it will not be showing up to a major auto show.
      Reuters reports that the German automaker will be skipping this year's Paris Motor Show. 
      “The Volkswagen brand is continually reviewing its participation in international motor shows,” the company said in a statement. Instead, Volkswagen could host “various communications activities” in the city, including test drives.
      Volkswagen joins other automakers including Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Opel, and Volvo that are skipping Paris.
      Part of Volkswagen's decision comes down to cost-cutting due to the fallout of the diesel emission scandal. But the move is part of a larger trend of Automakers being more considerate of how they spend their marketing budgets. Declining numbers of attendees and competing shows such as CES in Las Vegas are the key reasons for this.
      Volkswagen's other divisions such as Audi, Seat, and Skoda will be appearing in Paris according to a spokesman for Volkswagen's French operations.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Automakers have been bailing out of various auto shows for the past few years. Case in point, a number of German automakers pulling out of the Detroit show for 2019. Volkswagen is the latest one to announce that it will not be showing up to a major auto show.
      Reuters reports that the German automaker will be skipping this year's Paris Motor Show. 
      “The Volkswagen brand is continually reviewing its participation in international motor shows,” the company said in a statement. Instead, Volkswagen could host “various communications activities” in the city, including test drives.
      Volkswagen joins other automakers including Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Opel, and Volvo that are skipping Paris.
      Part of Volkswagen's decision comes down to cost-cutting due to the fallout of the diesel emission scandal. But the move is part of a larger trend of Automakers being more considerate of how they spend their marketing budgets. Declining numbers of attendees and competing shows such as CES in Las Vegas are the key reasons for this.
      Volkswagen's other divisions such as Audi, Seat, and Skoda will be appearing in Paris according to a spokesman for Volkswagen's French operations.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      It feels somewhat weird to be writing a review of the 2018 Ram 1500 as the 2019 model begins to slowly roll out to dealers. Ram is trying their best get the 2018s out the door. At the time of this writing, Ram is offering up to $12,356 bonus cash on certain 1500 models. Seems very tempting, but are there some other reasons to consider the older 1500 over the new one?
      Design is very subjective. One person may like the design of a vehicle, while the another may think it is quite ugly. Case in point, I’m not a fan of 2019 Ram 1500. The new shape makes the Ram look like any other pickup truck on sale. At least the 2018 model still retains the big-rig styling that was introduced with the 1994 Ram 1500. The front end is in your face with a large grille, square headlights, and muscular hood. The side profile shows off a set of 20-inch wheels standard on the Limited and the optional RamBox storage system. That isn’t to say the 2018 Ram 1500 doesn’t have design issues either. The Limited trim swaps the standard crosshair grille for one that features ‘RAM’ in big letters. It is just a bit much and doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the truck. Since our last review of the Ram 1500 in 2016, not much has changed in the interior. It still has one of cleanest layout for controls and material quality is quite high. Some will snicker at the belt-buckle seat pockets and a ‘Limited’ badge stitched in the center console, but thankfully those touches are only on the higher end models. I do wish Ram would put in a telescoping adjustment for the steering wheel as it would make easier to find a comfortable driving position. The adjustable pedals alleviate this issue somewhat. One change I was glad to see was the newest version of UConnect being installed on the 2018 model. This brings an updated interface and compatibility with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The new interface makes UConnect even easier to use with clearer text and brighter screen. Integration with Apple CarPlay is one the best as it only took a few seconds for the system to find my phone and bring up the CarPlay interface. If you decide to go with the Limited, the only engine on offer is the 5.7L HEMI V8 with 395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic and four-wheel drive complete the powertrain. Those wanting other options will need to drop down to one of the lower trims. On paper, the HEMI V8 seems like a capable performer with close to 400 horsepower. On the road, the HEMI doesn’t quite match up to those expectations. Despite having a muscle car snarl when accelerating, the HEMI V8 is noticeably slower than competitors. As an example, the Ram 1500 took a few ticks longer to hit 70 mph than the previous GM or Toyota full-size trucks I have driven. I cannot pinpoint the possible culprit to this, but I have the feeling the truck’s curb weight and the eight-speed automatic play a role. EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 Ram 1500 with the HEMI V8 and four-wheel drive are 15 City/21 Highway/17 Combined. My average for the week landed at 14.7 mpg in mostly city driving. Ram still holds an edge when it comes to the ride quality. The coil-spring setup for the rear suspension gives the truck a ride quality more akin to a sedan with most bumps being smoothed over. This truck also came with an optional air suspension which lowers the truck at highway speeds to improve fuel economy. It also makes getting in and out of the Ram 1500 slightly easier. One item I hope Ram has improved with the 2019 model is the steering. The system used in the 2018 Ram 1500 is quite slow and light, meaning it takes more effort to do simple tasks such as pulling into a parking spot. The Ram 1500 Limited is only available in one configuration - Crew Cab, 5’7” cargo bed, 5.7L HEMI V8, and 4WD. Base price is $56,375, with our test truck coming in at $63,870. For most folks, I would recommend dropping down to the likes of the Big Horn or Laramie as they offer more configuration options in terms of powertrains, cabs, and features. Aside from the deep discounts being on offer for the 2018 Ram 1500, deciding whether to go for the old or new model will come down to personal desires. For some, seeing the various improvements and the shiny new body will draw them towards the 2019 model. For others, the deep discounts and being a proven product will bring them over to the 2018 model. I fall into the latter category at the moment, but it might change whenever I get the chance to drive the 2019 Ram 1500. Disclaimer: Ram Provided the 1500, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Ram
      Model: 1500
      Trim: Limited
      Engine: 5.7L HEMI VVT V8
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 395 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 410 @ 3,950 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 15/21/17
      Curb Weight: 5,387 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Warren, MI
      Base Price: $53,595
      As Tested Price: $63,870 (Includes $1,395 Destination Charge and $300 Suede Headliner Delete Credit)
      Options:
      Limited Package 26V - $3,200.00
      Limited Tungsten Edition - $1,825.00
      Ram Box Cargo Management System - $1,295.00
      Power Sunroof - $1,095.00
      Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - $595.00
      Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - $435.00
      Single Disc Remote CD Player $345.00
      Trailer Brake Control - $295.00
      3.92 Rear Axle Ratio - $95.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It feels somewhat weird to be writing a review of the 2018 Ram 1500 as the 2019 model begins to slowly roll out to dealers. Ram is trying their best get the 2018s out the door. At the time of this writing, Ram is offering up to $12,356 bonus cash on certain 1500 models. Seems very tempting, but are there some other reasons to consider the older 1500 over the new one?
      Design is very subjective. One person may like the design of a vehicle, while the another may think it is quite ugly. Case in point, I’m not a fan of 2019 Ram 1500. The new shape makes the Ram look like any other pickup truck on sale. At least the 2018 model still retains the big-rig styling that was introduced with the 1994 Ram 1500. The front end is in your face with a large grille, square headlights, and muscular hood. The side profile shows off a set of 20-inch wheels standard on the Limited and the optional RamBox storage system. That isn’t to say the 2018 Ram 1500 doesn’t have design issues either. The Limited trim swaps the standard crosshair grille for one that features ‘RAM’ in big letters. It is just a bit much and doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the truck. Since our last review of the Ram 1500 in 2016, not much has changed in the interior. It still has one of cleanest layout for controls and material quality is quite high. Some will snicker at the belt-buckle seat pockets and a ‘Limited’ badge stitched in the center console, but thankfully those touches are only on the higher end models. I do wish Ram would put in a telescoping adjustment for the steering wheel as it would make easier to find a comfortable driving position. The adjustable pedals alleviate this issue somewhat. One change I was glad to see was the newest version of UConnect being installed on the 2018 model. This brings an updated interface and compatibility with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The new interface makes UConnect even easier to use with clearer text and brighter screen. Integration with Apple CarPlay is one the best as it only took a few seconds for the system to find my phone and bring up the CarPlay interface. If you decide to go with the Limited, the only engine on offer is the 5.7L HEMI V8 with 395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic and four-wheel drive complete the powertrain. Those wanting other options will need to drop down to one of the lower trims. On paper, the HEMI V8 seems like a capable performer with close to 400 horsepower. On the road, the HEMI doesn’t quite match up to those expectations. Despite having a muscle car snarl when accelerating, the HEMI V8 is noticeably slower than competitors. As an example, the Ram 1500 took a few ticks longer to hit 70 mph than the previous GM or Toyota full-size trucks I have driven. I cannot pinpoint the possible culprit to this, but I have the feeling the truck’s curb weight and the eight-speed automatic play a role. EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 Ram 1500 with the HEMI V8 and four-wheel drive are 15 City/21 Highway/17 Combined. My average for the week landed at 14.7 mpg in mostly city driving. Ram still holds an edge when it comes to the ride quality. The coil-spring setup for the rear suspension gives the truck a ride quality more akin to a sedan with most bumps being smoothed over. This truck also came with an optional air suspension which lowers the truck at highway speeds to improve fuel economy. It also makes getting in and out of the Ram 1500 slightly easier. One item I hope Ram has improved with the 2019 model is the steering. The system used in the 2018 Ram 1500 is quite slow and light, meaning it takes more effort to do simple tasks such as pulling into a parking spot. The Ram 1500 Limited is only available in one configuration - Crew Cab, 5’7” cargo bed, 5.7L HEMI V8, and 4WD. Base price is $56,375, with our test truck coming in at $63,870. For most folks, I would recommend dropping down to the likes of the Big Horn or Laramie as they offer more configuration options in terms of powertrains, cabs, and features. Aside from the deep discounts being on offer for the 2018 Ram 1500, deciding whether to go for the old or new model will come down to personal desires. For some, seeing the various improvements and the shiny new body will draw them towards the 2019 model. For others, the deep discounts and being a proven product will bring them over to the 2018 model. I fall into the latter category at the moment, but it might change whenever I get the chance to drive the 2019 Ram 1500. Disclaimer: Ram Provided the 1500, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Ram
      Model: 1500
      Trim: Limited
      Engine: 5.7L HEMI VVT V8
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 395 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 410 @ 3,950 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 15/21/17
      Curb Weight: 5,387 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Warren, MI
      Base Price: $53,595
      As Tested Price: $63,870 (Includes $1,395 Destination Charge and $300 Suede Headliner Delete Credit)
      Options:
      Limited Package 26V - $3,200.00
      Limited Tungsten Edition - $1,825.00
      Ram Box Cargo Management System - $1,295.00
      Power Sunroof - $1,095.00
      Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - $595.00
      Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - $435.00
      Single Disc Remote CD Player $345.00
      Trailer Brake Control - $295.00
      3.92 Rear Axle Ratio - $95.00
    • By William Maley
      Yesterday, we reported that Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess got a safe-passage deal from the U.S. Justice Department. This type of deal is very unusual and it was speculated that U.S. wasn't planning to charge Diess over the diesel emission scandal, or that he provided some sort of testimony. We might have an answer to how Diess got this deal.
      German tabloid Bild reports that Diess traveled to the U.S. last week to testify about the diesel emission scandal. Representatives from the FBI and Justice Department were present, as was Larry Thompson, the U.S. monitor appointed last year to oversee reforms at the company. Unfortunately, Bild doesn't mention any sources.
      Reuters did some investigating and got conflicting stories. One source told the news service that Diess and Thompson recently traveled to the U.S. recently with "relevant authorities", without going into further detail. Another source denied that a meeting took place last week, saying Diess met with spoke with authorities a few months ago.
      Volkswagen declined to comment.
      Our guess is that Diess was given a safe-passage deal from the U.S. Justice Department if he would provide testimony on the diesel emission scandal. We'll keep you posted if anything breaks on this story.
      Source: Bild (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs