Should i upgrade?

So right now i have an AM3 system with a phenom II x6 1100T. this could go for ~$120 on ebay.

Newegg has a FX-8320 for ~$150 with a Deus Ex: Mankind Divded voucher, (worth ~$60).

My Mobo is an asus sabertooth AM3+ with the last bios update so it's compatible...

do you think it's worth making the plunge?  would you do it?

i'd plan to sell the voucher... if i did... any takers?

I will be honest that I have never been a fan of AMD. I have tried them multiple times and no matter the OS, the experiance has been one of hell.

I agree with FapTurbo, save up and buy Intel.

Costco has some great deals on DELL and other company desktops. I love the number of desktops with 32 and 64gb of ram. Really allows the OS to fly along with the rest of your programs.

3 hours ago, loki said:

you 2 just don't get it. lol.

@loki Please explain what we do not get, you asked for everyone's input, we gave you ours. How do we not get it?

You have a product, that product does not work well on Linux, Windows, what ever you want to run on it and it causes more time spent troubleshooting than just working. How is going with a platform that just works with minimal driver issues / quality issues ends in us not getting it.

Please enlighten us!

You want to pay $150 for the replacement of your current CPU you will try to sell for $120, and take the ~$60 voucher they bundle with the new one to break even or even make some money on your upgrade..

I don't follow AMD or even Intel CPU's these days, but why not if your mb supports it... Sounds like a no brainer.

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

@loki Please explain what we do not get, you asked for everyone's input, we gave you ours. How do we not get it?

You have a product, that product does not work well on Linux, Windows, what ever you want to run on it and it causes more time spent troubleshooting than just working. How is going with a platform that just works with minimal driver issues / quality issues ends in us not getting it.

Please enlighten us!

i've not had any issues with my AMD builds, if you have, that's too bad. and your issues have seemed to deem AMD parts, junk.

why would i change platforms that would cost me $200+ when i could upgrade to a newer chip, and possibly have more money than i started with, like Frogger gets.

I guess i was asking for a good reason not to do this, but i wasn't asking if i should go to INTEL...

I am interested in ZEN, but that's not out for awhile longer and not part of this debate.

Check Passmark and see if the performances gains are worth it.With that said, I'll be the third voice to say save up and buy intel.

I say this as a longtime owner of AMD products. My first build was an AMD Athlon 64. My second build, and the one I used until this year was an AMD Phenom II 925. They both served me well, but in the years since AMD has fallen so far behind the curve. Their Bulldozer CPUs get shown up by dual core Intel chips. I saved up and built my first all new machine since 2006, running an Intel Core i7 4790k. To put it into perspective just how big the quantum leap in performance is, a 2 minute 1080p video took over two hours to render on my old computer with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. Now it takes about 15 minutes.

3 hours ago, loki said:

i've not had any issues with my AMD builds, if you have, that's too bad. and your issues have seemed to deem AMD parts, junk.

why would i change platforms that would cost me $200+ when i could upgrade to a newer chip, and possibly have more money than i started with, like Frogger gets.

I guess i was asking for a good reason not to do this, but i wasn't asking if i should go to INTEL...

I am interested in ZEN, but that's not out for awhile longer and not part of this debate.

I am glad you have not had any issues and are happy with the performance. As long as the performance meets your needs that is great and I say go for it.

For me doing virtualization and graphic rendering in videos, AMD does not cut it and at this point Intel has really surpassed AMD.

If your happy with it then as you say like Frogger pointed out, it might just be a good deal if you can truly upgrade and sell your used CPU for the prices stated. What some people think they can get on the used market and what really happens is two different things.

You asked for input and a few of us feel Intel is worth the added money to invest in and move over too.

Your choice, I wish you the best on what you decide.