William Maley

Mitsubishi News: Production of the Mitsubishi Lancer to End In August

5 posts in this topic

William Maley    405

There will be one less compact car on sale come August. Motor1 has learned from Mitsubishi Motors North America’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, Don Swearingen that production of the Lancer compact sedan will end this August. Of course. you are probably saying to yourself that Mitsubishi was still building the Lancer?! The answer is yes.

Will Mitsubishi have a replacement for the Lancer, especially considering the partnership with Nissan? Swearingen said no. He told Autoblog that the sedan marketplace is shrinking and the Japanese needs to focus on products that make them money. Hence why they are focusing on crossovers with a new model that is slated to slot between the Outlander Sport and Outlander due later this year.

The Lancer was never a big seller for Mitsubishi. Its best year was back in 2002 when the company moved 69,000 Lancers. In 2016, Mitsubishi only sold 14,304 Lancers.

Source: Motor1, Autoblog

View full article

dfelt    1,865

Totally expected, I am surprised they have not killed off all auto's and just focused on CUVs.

daves87rs    349
11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

hmm.. I thought it was already gone.

So did I. Just saw a new one a few days....a tarted up model. Had to admit, maybe it's the old school like for sport compacts-but I am going to miss it......

regfootball    250

quite dated, but those out there who need cheap wheels can find new or very slightly used ones for like 13 grand, just don't try to ever trade it in again.

another distinction, for those who would want it instead of an outlander sport, but you can get an all wheel drive lancer if you wish.  A used AWD Lancer with few miles would be a great car to sell to a college student looking for a cheap payment and AWD for those road trips home in the winter.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The current Nissan Frontier has been with us for over a decade and not much has changed with it. It has put Nissan well behind the pack of newer models from GM, Honda, and Toyota. Back in April, Nissan's North America vice president Christian Meunier the Frontier has future, hinting to us that a new model is on the horizon.
      Car and Driver reports that Nissan has officially announced that a new Frontier is coming and will be built at the company's Canton, Mississippi plant - currently home to the current model. Nissan also said that the arrival of the new Frontier is more than a year away.
      Not much more information was given on the next Frontier. A previous rumor had Nissan using the Navara pickup sold elsewhere in the world. But as we reported back in April, Meunier put a stop to this idea. He explained that the Navara was more of lifestyle vehicle, like a Honda Ridgeline. The next Frontier would be a true truck. Though we're wondering if Nissan's North America office has ever driven the Navara as reviews have it being as capable and riding as well as the Frontier.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The current Nissan Frontier has been with us for over a decade and not much has changed with it. It has put Nissan well behind the pack of newer models from GM, Honda, and Toyota. Back in April, Nissan's North America vice president Christian Meunier the Frontier has future, hinting to us that a new model is on the horizon.
      Car and Driver reports that Nissan has officially announced that a new Frontier is coming and will be built at the company's Canton, Mississippi plant - currently home to the current model. Nissan also said that the arrival of the new Frontier is more than a year away.
      Not much more information was given on the next Frontier. A previous rumor had Nissan using the Navara pickup sold elsewhere in the world. But as we reported back in April, Meunier put a stop to this idea. He explained that the Navara was more of lifestyle vehicle, like a Honda Ridgeline. The next Frontier would be a true truck. Though we're wondering if Nissan's North America office has ever driven the Navara as reviews have it being as capable and riding as well as the Frontier.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      Ever since the Volkswagen Buzz I.D. concept made its debut, rumors have been flying as to whether or not the German automaker would go forward with it. Yesterday at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Volkswagen finally put the rumors to rest. 
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” said Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess.  
      "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Before you start lining up at your Volkswagen dealer, the company says the model will not launch till 2022. Models such as the I.D. hatchback and I.D. Crozz will go on sale first.
      The production variant will be based on Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, while AWD will be an option. Volkswagen is also planning to offer the Buzz as both a passenger van and a cargo van.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN TAKES BOLD DECISION TO PUT I.D. BUZZ ELECTRIC CONCEPT CAR INTO PRODUCTION
      Volkswagen management announces production plans for the 21st century Microbus at the home of the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance Pebble Beach, California – At the Detroit Show in early 2017, Volkswagen showed the I.D. BUZZ concept car, a fully electric vehicle that taps in to the spirit and vibe that made the VW Microbus such an iconic vehicle — whether with Hippies and families in the Sixties or Surfer Dudes and Van Lifers today.
      Now, Volkswagen has taken the bold decision to put the Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ concept car into production and Volkswagen’s CEO of the North American Region, Hinrich J. Woebcken is happy to welcome the car to North America.  The Chairmen of the Boards of Management of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, Dr Herbert Diess and Dr Eckhard Scholz, announced the decision today at one of the most prestigious automotive events in the world — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California. 
      Within the framework of further development, Volkswagen has also set a launch date for the I.D. BUZZ. The vehicle will arrive at dealerships in 2022, after the compact four-door I.D. makes its debut. With the I.D. BUZZ, Volkswagen is mainly targeting markets in North America, Europe and China.
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach. The Board of Management chose Pebble Beach as the location to make its announcement because, as Diess explained: "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Just like the concept car that was shown in Detroit, the production model will also have its batteries mounted in the vehicle floor. Because the electric drive components — electric motor, power electronics, and such —don't take up much space, the vehicle has a long wheelbase with short overhangs, allowing for a massively spacious interior and great proportions. "The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV," Diess explained.
      CEO of the North American Region, Volkswagen, Hinrich J. Woebcken added: “We are delighted that our parent company has taken the decision to produce the I.D. BUZZ. This vehicle is the perfect balance between emotion, usability and sustainability, while also showcasing our technological leadership. The high seating position, cargo capacity, overall versatility and all-wheel drive option packaged into such an appealing design is just what our customers want from us. And it’s the perfect fit for the zero-emissions American lifestyle.”
      The I.D. BUZZ won’t just be a passenger vehicle. Just like the classic T2, the I.D. BUZZ will both haul people and haul freight. "Along with a minibus version, we'll also be offering an I.D. BUZZ CARGO variant for zero-emissions delivery of goods,” said Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles CEO Dr Eckhard Scholz. "With Level 3 autonomous capability, this is an ideal concept for an electric van, particularly for delivering packages and goods to the inner cities."
      Although Volkswagen's oldest and newest Microbuses will be separated by more than seven decades when the new model is launched, the I.D. BUZZ undoubtedly has the original's genes, as it offers maximum utilization of space on the footprint of a mid-size passenger car. Based on the new all-electric architecture, the production version of the I.D. BUZZ will incorporate many design ideas from the concept car, including multi-variable seating, interactive connectivity and highly automated driving.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ever since the Volkswagen Buzz I.D. concept made its debut, rumors have been flying as to whether or not the German automaker would go forward with it. Yesterday at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Volkswagen finally put the rumors to rest. 
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” said Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess.  
      "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Before you start lining up at your Volkswagen dealer, the company says the model will not launch till 2022. Models such as the I.D. hatchback and I.D. Crozz will go on sale first.
      The production variant will be based on Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, while AWD will be an option. Volkswagen is also planning to offer the Buzz as both a passenger van and a cargo van.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN TAKES BOLD DECISION TO PUT I.D. BUZZ ELECTRIC CONCEPT CAR INTO PRODUCTION
      Volkswagen management announces production plans for the 21st century Microbus at the home of the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance Pebble Beach, California – At the Detroit Show in early 2017, Volkswagen showed the I.D. BUZZ concept car, a fully electric vehicle that taps in to the spirit and vibe that made the VW Microbus such an iconic vehicle — whether with Hippies and families in the Sixties or Surfer Dudes and Van Lifers today.
      Now, Volkswagen has taken the bold decision to put the Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ concept car into production and Volkswagen’s CEO of the North American Region, Hinrich J. Woebcken is happy to welcome the car to North America.  The Chairmen of the Boards of Management of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, Dr Herbert Diess and Dr Eckhard Scholz, announced the decision today at one of the most prestigious automotive events in the world — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California. 
      Within the framework of further development, Volkswagen has also set a launch date for the I.D. BUZZ. The vehicle will arrive at dealerships in 2022, after the compact four-door I.D. makes its debut. With the I.D. BUZZ, Volkswagen is mainly targeting markets in North America, Europe and China.
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach. The Board of Management chose Pebble Beach as the location to make its announcement because, as Diess explained: "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Just like the concept car that was shown in Detroit, the production model will also have its batteries mounted in the vehicle floor. Because the electric drive components — electric motor, power electronics, and such —don't take up much space, the vehicle has a long wheelbase with short overhangs, allowing for a massively spacious interior and great proportions. "The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV," Diess explained.
      CEO of the North American Region, Volkswagen, Hinrich J. Woebcken added: “We are delighted that our parent company has taken the decision to produce the I.D. BUZZ. This vehicle is the perfect balance between emotion, usability and sustainability, while also showcasing our technological leadership. The high seating position, cargo capacity, overall versatility and all-wheel drive option packaged into such an appealing design is just what our customers want from us. And it’s the perfect fit for the zero-emissions American lifestyle.”
      The I.D. BUZZ won’t just be a passenger vehicle. Just like the classic T2, the I.D. BUZZ will both haul people and haul freight. "Along with a minibus version, we'll also be offering an I.D. BUZZ CARGO variant for zero-emissions delivery of goods,” said Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles CEO Dr Eckhard Scholz. "With Level 3 autonomous capability, this is an ideal concept for an electric van, particularly for delivering packages and goods to the inner cities."
      Although Volkswagen's oldest and newest Microbuses will be separated by more than seven decades when the new model is launched, the I.D. BUZZ undoubtedly has the original's genes, as it offers maximum utilization of space on the footprint of a mid-size passenger car. Based on the new all-electric architecture, the production version of the I.D. BUZZ will incorporate many design ideas from the concept car, including multi-variable seating, interactive connectivity and highly automated driving.
    • By William Maley
      OUTLANDER HAS ITS BEST JULY SALES MONTH EVER AS MITSUBISHI REPORTS JULY 2017 SALES
      Total reported July sales of 8,025 are up 1.7 percent over last July Outlander has its best July sales month ever with 2,530 units sold, up 29.6 percent Mirage sales are up 21.9 percent over July 2016 CYPRESS, Calif. – Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) reported July 2017 sales of 8,025, up 1.7 percent over July 2016. The Outlander CUV closed the month of July with some fireworks posting its best July sales ever. Total Outlander sales were 2,530, an increase of 29.6 percent over July 2016. Not to be outdone, Mirage also had a big month with 1,560 units sold, an increase of 21.9 percent over last year.
      Total 2017 calendar-year sales are up 4.6 percent compared to last year at this time with 62,601 units sold.

July
      YTD

i‐MiEV
      Mirage
      Lancer
      Outlander Sport
      Outlander
      Total
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online