2017 GMC Acadia - Denali or All-Terrain, what would you choose?

David

Denali or All-Terrain?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose of the two packages?

• Denali Edition
    • All-Terrain Edition

2017 GMC Acadia - Denali or All-Terrain, what would you choose?

As I have spent time with my son looking at various CUV models, I cam across the new Acadia and learned they had a monochromatic version that I think is very sharp looking. GMC has built a very nice profitable line by offering Denali on every model they make. Yet not everyone likes Chrome all over. So this brings up the desire to see what people think. I configured up two near identical CUVs with the only difference being the All-Terrain package on an SLT2 equipped Acadia and the Denali package on an SLT2 equipped Acadia.

What are your thoughts?

Review the two listing autos below and sound off on what you think of monochromatic off road or chromed on road CUV!

2017 GMC Acadia Denali

2017AcadiaDenali.jpg

2017AcadiaDenaliInterior.jpg

2017AcadiaDenaliPackage.jpg

2017 GMC Acadia All-Terrain

2017-GMC-AllTerrainBlack.jpg

2017-GMC-AllTerrainInterior.jpg

2017-GMC-AllTerrain.jpg

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd probably go for the All-Terrain.  Looks wise it's a wash for me as I like them both the same, but the All-Terrain has a superior AWD system that the Denali does not have. 

Drew, I noticed the Advanced AWD Dual Clutch system on the All-Terrain, but have not found much more on explaining the differences. Have you access to a better explanation of the differences between the two AWD systems?

Only thing stated on the web site: 

• Specially tuned AWD for off-road and multi-terrain environments to enhance handing and stability

Weird, doing multiple Bing and Google searches I found vague  comments on their advanced AWD system for the All-Terrain system. Then I copied and pasted the line from their web site and boom, BING actually listed the following page for the All-Terrain AWD system. VERY COOL

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/suvs/testing-the-2017-acadia-all-terrain.html

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Drew, I noticed the Advanced AWD Dual Clutch system on the All-Terrain, but have not found much more on explaining the differences. Have you access to a better explanation of the differences between the two AWD systems?

Only thing stated on the web site: 

• Specially tuned AWD for off-road and multi-terrain environments to enhance handing and stability

Weird, doing multiple Bing and Google searches I found vague  comments on their advanced AWD system for the All-Terrain system. Then I copied and pasted the line from their web site and boom, BING actually listed the following page for the All-Terrain AWD system. VERY COOL

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/suvs/testing-the-2017-acadia-all-terrain.html

The AWD in the All-Terrain is the advanced new twin-clutch that the Cadillac XT5 and Buick Lacrosse have.  It is also the same system setup as the Focus RS, though without the performance characteristics.  The twin-clutch can act much more like an actual 4-wheel drive system than most AWD systems do, but it can also shut off power to the rear wheels completely when on dry pavement at speed, saving fuel.

• Agree 1

Denali all the way for me!

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

The AWD in the All-Terrain is the advanced new twin-clutch that the Cadillac XT5 and Buick Lacrosse have.  It is also the same system setup as the Focus RS, though without the performance characteristics.  The twin-clutch can act much more like an actual 4-wheel drive system than most AWD systems do, but it can also shut off power to the rear wheels completely when on dry pavement at speed, saving fuel.

Interesting, did not know that.

• Agree 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

All of the other Acadias have a "normal" AWD system, which as @ykX mentioned isn't as capable. Oh it will get you through mild snow, but that's about it. 

I might have to re consider my vote then...

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The video was great in bringing out what you stated for us. Thank you

Question, how does this compare to Jeeps GC AWD system? Do we have any comparisons or know how it stacks up?

11 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The video was great in bringing out what you stated for us. Thank you

Question, how does this compare to Jeeps GC AWD system? Do we have any comparisons or know how it stacks up?

Oh Jeep..... their AWD systems are so great in number they have a webpage just to explain what each one does.   The Grand Cherokee has four different AWD systems available.  I'm just going to link the website so you can read them for yourself.  The Quadra-Drive II with rear ELSD is the most capable. Quadra-Trac I is the least capable and most like the standard AWD systems in the Acadia.

I would put bets on the Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Drive II and ELSD being the most capable off-road vehicle in this class with the only possible competition coming from certain off-road equipped Toyota 4-Runners.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh Jeep..... their AWD systems are so great in number they have a webpage just to explain what each one does.   The Grand Cherokee has four different AWD systems available.  I'm just going to link the website so you can read them for yourself.  The Quadra-Drive II with rear ELSD is the most capable. Quadra-Trac I is the least capable and most like the standard AWD systems in the Acadia.

I would put bets on the Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Drive II and ELSD being the most capable off-road vehicle in this class with the only possible competition coming from certain off-road equipped Toyota 4-Runners.

Awesome, thank you, greatly appreciate the link.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thanks for the link, I will check that out.  I had no idea that any SUV's were offered with differing 4wd systems and choices.  I knew Jeep built trail rated, but I thought that was just additional ground clearance and gear ratios.

• Agree 1