Electric Pickup

I can’t believe I’m saying this but,

This thing actually seems usable and well done as far as capabilities go. It doesn’t have the highest towing ability but 5000 pounds isn’t too shabby. 2000 pound payload is better than most half tons available. On board power pretty much does away with range anxiety. I could see people actually wanting this if the price is reasonable.  

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/05/2018-workhorse-w-15-review-first-look-and-drive.html

59 minutes ago, Scout said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but,

This thing actually seems usable and well done as far as capabilities go. It doesn’t have the highest towing ability but 5000 pounds isn’t too shabby. 2000 pound payload is better than most half tons available. On board power pretty much does away with range anxiety. I could see people actually wanting this if the price is reasonable.  

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/05/2018-workhorse-w-15-review-first-look-and-drive.html

I can see this selling very well to Fed, State, County and City gov agencies as the 2200 lb bed capacity will cover the needs of parks and road maintenance. Plus the fact that the onboard generator can act as a power source working out in the field. This saves them from having to buy a generator for on sight work where no electrical plugs are easily available.

I see ton's of many good uses for this truck plus the 80 miles pure is outstanding for city dwellers as they can probably mostly drive in pure electric mode.

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

... if the price is reasonable..... but yes, it does look like an interesting entry.

Actually at a 50K starting point the price is almost downright cheap. If you consider any state and federal credits that could apply to EVs your looking at a 40K truck. Well below the asking price for much of the 1/2 ton truck market. 

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can see this selling very well to Fed, State, County and City gov agencies as the 2200 lb bed capacity will cover the needs of parks and road maintenance. Plus the fact that the onboard generator can act as a power source working out in the field. This saves them from having to buy a generator for on sight work where no electrical plugs are easily available.

I see ton's of many good uses for this truck plus the 80 miles pure is outstanding for city dwellers as they can probably mostly drive in pure electric mode.

Exactly.  After these things have been in the wild for a while and dependability is proven, I could almost see myself looking past the styling of it and consider it. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Scout said:

According to the article pricing will start at 52,500. So a bit over 50k,. After EV credits possibly under. 

Clearly makes it a $45K truck in base form with the starting at $52,500 and the $7,500 fed credit. Not a bad deal.

22 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Clearly makes it a $45K truck in base form with the starting at $52,500 and the $7,500 fed credit. Not a bad deal.

I'm not sure if you can stack rebates, but if you can,. California has a 7000 rebate. That plus the federal could net 14,500 total. 

1 minute ago, Scout said:

I'm not sure if you can stack rebates, but if you can,. California has a 7000 rebate. That plus the federal could net 14,500 total. 

According to my cousin who did this on a Bolt, they took the Fed $7,500 and California $7,000 so they got the $14,500 off a fully loaded Bolt. Wish my state would give a rebate on top of the feds.

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

According to my cousin who did this on a Bolt, they took the Fed $7,500 and California $7,000 so they got the $14,500 off a fully loaded Bolt. Wish my state would give a rebate on top of the feds.

I wonder what is to stop someone in California from buying a Bolt, driving it for a year or two, then reselling it in a state that has no rebate to make the cost of driving it for that year or two minimal?

1 hour ago, frogger said:

I wonder what is to stop someone in California from buying a Bolt, driving it for a year or two, then reselling it in a state that has no rebate to make the cost of driving it for that year or two minimal?

Nothing that I am aware of.