Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So I set up an appointment for the Civic SI at a local dealer and checked it out

They were very clear that due to the special edition nature of the car they would allow no test drives.

I have a few impressions to share though.

Styling is an eight out of ten, still falling short of other cars in the sports compact bracket.

Interior has lost a lot of awkwardness and is quite nice, back seat in the coupe was worse than my MINI or my 66 Mustang Fastback.

Dash is much improved, actually liked it better than the dashboard in the ST twins.

Seats are suprisingly comfortable. 

Bright green is really cool but I don't think that color will age well.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

They presented an 84 month term on a Civic, so car loans may well be getting longer-term.

Niether of my daughter's liked the Salesman.  Were I to get a Civic SI I think I would buy from another dealer because that particular dealer is very religious and preachy at Christmas.

Trunk was decent sized.

In the end, a very nice car but not completely sold by any means. Liked the idea of active suspension damping and a real limited slip differential.

• Agree 1

Could see this in my driveway but still really hard to justify over the competition.

Sorry this is in multiple posts having trouble posting from my device.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:11 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

So I set up an appointment for the Civic SI at a local dealer and checked it out

They were very clear that due to the special edition nature of the car they would allow no test drives.

I have a few impressions to share though.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. U WOT MATE???

It's a MF'ing Civic with 30% less power than the average minivan has. And they're not doing test drives?!?! What damn joke. I would have told them to pound sand and keep their POS, slow-ass Civic, that I was going to go buy a GTI- you know, a proper hot hatch. 

Edited by Frisky Dingo
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. U WOT MATE???

It's a MF'ing Civic with 30% less power than the average minivan has. And they're not doing test drives?!?! What damn joke. I would have told them to pound sand and keep their POS, slow-ass Civic, that I was going to go buy a GTI- you know, a proper hot hatch. 

Considering that on chassis dyno's the GTI makes its advertised power at the wheels and the Civic is lucky to come close at the crank, yes.  When my wife wanted to see the dash board lit up the salesman had to start the car because customers were not allowed to start it due to "the special extreme high performance nature of the automobile."

They also got really upset when I suggested that a Mustang GT would be a better sue of 33 Grand that a Civic Type R, when they tried to up sell us to a type R.

I merely responded with a Coyote V8 that makes 435 Horsepower is hard to argue with. Not to mention the fact that the Mustang GT is about eleventy billion times better looking that he Civic Type R.

...and with an APR Stage 1 tune a GTI makes about 265-275 at the front wheels, and will probably eat any naturally aspirated Civic SI on the planet.

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Considering that on chassis dyno's the GTI makes its advertised power at the wheels and the Civic is lucky to come close at the crank, yes.  When my wife wanted to see the dash board lit up the salesman had to start the car because customers were not allowed to start it due to "the special extreme high performance nature of the automobile."

They also got really upset when I suggested that a Mustang GT would be a better sue of 33 Grand that a Civic Type R, when they tried to up sell us to a type R.

I merely responded with a Coyote V8 that makes 435 Horsepower is hard to argue with. Not to mention the fact that the Mustang GT is about eleventy billion times better looking that he Civic Type R.

...and with an APR Stage 1 tune a GTI makes about 265-275 at the front wheels, and will probably eat any naturally aspirated Civic SI on the planet.

Sounds like the management of that place is on crack.

Just now, Frisky Dingo said:

Sounds like the management of that place is on crack.

They are the largest Honda dealer in Ohio, and I struggle to figure out how.  They have well over a thousand cars in stock....as far as I am concerned they can keep all of them. My 21 year old daughter is extremely tolerant of people and the salesman kind of freaked her out...to the point where she asked me never to take her back to that particular dealership.

As I said before, what I really dislike about them the most is that from early November through new years they have advertisements on local radio proclaiming Jesus is the Reason for the season. I don't mind if people have faith, but wearing it on your sleeve when you are a car dealer is tacky to say the least.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They are the largest Honda dealer in Ohio, and I struggle to figure out how.  They have well over a thousand cars in stock....as far as I am concerned they can keep all of them. My 21 year old daughter is extremely tolerant of people and the salesman kind of freaked her out...to the point where she asked me never to take her back to that particular dealership.

As I said before, what I really dislike about them the most is that from early November through new years they have advertisements on local radio proclaiming Jesus is the Reason for the season. I don't mind if people have faith, but wearing it on your sleeve when you are a car dealer is tacky to say the least.

UGH

That moron must be mistaking the specialness of the car for the Type R. The term "high performance" doesn't come to mind at all.

I mean, I wholeheartedly have an open mind toward the Si, but even if we're being generous, the car isn't expected to crack high 13s or pull sports car Gs on the skidpad. It's a sport compact in the mid $20k range.

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Not to mention an assault on all the atheist! :P