Forum Addition Suggestions

I have two suggestions for forum additions that I think will better organize C&G.

First, the some of the brands in the GM Family have current and future model/plan subsections. I think we need to add a subsection for past models for each brand since there's really not an "appropriate" place to put threads about them. Currently, they're being posted in the current model sections. I think it will better organize things.

Second, I've noticed there's been an increase in the amount of video links being posted. I think there should be a separate forum section to post these to reduce the amount of clutter in other sections of the forum.

Any thoughts?

I think all of the videos should be put into one massive thread, then responded to in a separate thread. The way it is now, I go to check new posts and there are a dozen or so video threads that I'm not going to bother looking at cluttering things up. How many of the video threads have zero replies? A lot, thats why I think they should be contained in one thread that the members can sort through, and if they choose to discuss the video further they can start a separate thread.

I wouldn't mind more opinions on the first item you bring up.

As for the second item, the videos just need to be coalesced in a better fashion. Several individual Buick commercial videos should be combined in one topic, for example. Some should just be posted in a general Chevrolet Video topic, again, for example. Some, well, I really don't care about a 1998 Renault and I think most people don't either.

I think the time is right for a "GM Heritage" section, which in theory could be used to solve both points.

Didn't Walt once say C&G was supposed to be about GM present and future, not GM past? A heritage section would only dilute the site and take the focus away from future advancements made by GM. Just my :twocents:

I even think the Oldsmobile forum should go. The past is in the past, no amount of "This is what should have happened" threads (lets face it, thats what a heritage forum would turn into) are going to change the past. Focusing on the future allows for debates, suspense and excitement. Taking about the past just brings a brief moment of joy (to some people) followed by a depression based on "they dont build 'em like they used to" which is not something we need more of around here.

Well, you can't exactly ignore the past and people are going to discuss it regardless. I think it'd be best to give them a specific place to do so.

You echo my sentiments exactly. Yes, our thrust is the present and future of GM, and I agree that it should remain that way. But topics about the past always end up coming up no matter what. Having a dedicated forum for GM's past is the lesser of two evils, rather than having it intertwined with the latest news.

Taking about the past just brings a brief moment of joy (to some people) followed by a depression based on "they dont build 'em like they used to" which is not something we need more of around here.

*raises eyebrow*

Wow....point taken and noted.

To the topic at hand, Walt did say a while ago that C&G was about the present and future ... not about the past. And, I agree. I'm not sure a heritage forum would be a good idea.

But, then again, the videos mostly have been of old commercials and older cars ... so, perhaps a video section or thread isn't a good idea either...?

Course, I enjoy seeing the videos....

*shrugs*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

What's it like to buy your favorite car brand new? Wish I knew...

"I'm dying inside" ... The Tony Rich Project ... 'Nobody Knows'

Before new features, I think the forum design language needs to come back up to speed. This blue and white crap aint cuttin it, and I miss the old C&G logo.

:withstupid: This endless blue theme is rather depressing. Anything would be better...

As for the heritage forums, well, regardless, I'd just end up posting it in the Lounge, like I have in the past with Pontiac tributes. Gets more responses that way and means less lulls (and boredom).

• 9 months later...

Bumped to re-suggest that videos be posted in a single thread. Its really annoying when I go to the new posts and there are half a dozen threads for Chevy videos between 1964 and 1973 that nobody will reply to when they could all be put into one thread that nobody will reply to.

Didn't Walt once say C&G was supposed to be about GM present and future, not GM past? A heritage section would only dilute the site and take the focus away from future advancements made by GM. Just my :twocents:

I've always liked a quote that goes a little something like this: Part of knowing where you're going is knowing from where you've been.