possible new car

Hey all, been a while since I posted but since i am off for summer and usually have some downtime at work i will be posting more.

My alero recently suffered damage to its steering rack and several other parts of the power stearing do to injested road debris from the crappy roads of new rochelle. the repairs are expensive, more than half the value of the car so I am cosidering getting out of it and into a new car yet again but thistime, more serioursly as it only has a few more months of usablitily before it needs to be reparied or replaced. While getting the car diagnosed at the chevy dealer I bought it from I sat in, and then test drove a malibu SS. It was black on black and had the sunroof (only thing not standard). I was really impressed with the way it drove. It was more tossable then the g6 gtp I test drove probably because of the shorter wheel base. IT accelerated very strongly, deffinetly in the mid 6's to 60 is rated at 19 city 26 high which isnt terrible and the interior, besided for the gauges which werent bad just a little plain, was othereise nicer than the g6. I was very impressed, and all this came in at a mere 24,500. I crunched some numbers with the dealer andwith no money down (just the alero as a trade) I can get this baby for 18 grand, or out the door 350 a month. Do you guys think ishould bite?

I really like this car and I have to make up my mind this wee because they want to sell it this month. What do you guys think?

I testdrove the SS SC, and was very impressed with the car, once I brushed off my stick driving skills, but its to small for my taste, I need somthing with a little more utility and space for hauling junk around, plus im just used to a midsized car and dont really want a manual even though they are fun since I drive into NYC a lot.

Obviously this isnt the best epsilon drivetrain with the 3.6/6 speed combo coming this summer but its the best that fits into my budget and I am actually getting it cheaper than the cobalt SS, since its has been on the lot for a few months. The interior is really classy in person with the fake aluminum trim being reallying convincing and the black interior is really sharp. Also the shorter wheelbase makes this car park more easily as the long one on the g6 is counter intituive for me (though I would obviously adjust with more drive time) and it is easier to hustle around a lot of corner. Fuel econemy isnt great but it is acceptable and acceleration off the line is awsome, much better than I was expecting, I think even better than the 3.9 g6 i drove because ofthe lighter weight. anyone else want to contriute?

Other GM options? I need to come out to 350 a month payments with nothing but my alero as downpayment, most dealers give me 5 grand on trade.

Yeah it pretty much has to be a sedan also northstar, I haul to many people around to have a coupe though if I had the means I would also have a sky redline, lol.

Is used an option? A GP GXP would be a ton of fun if you could find one for the right price. I don't know if any are down to $23k yet, but that would put you at $18k after your Alero trade-in.

BTW I thought you got a G35? Did that fall through?

the SS Malibu is a good choice.

Just to note, if you want a stick, there is a FLOOD of G6 GTP's with few miles on them or new ones the deal will move at good prices too....even with the longer wheelbase. You might get a deal.

Any used GXP Gp's are still a bit pricey right now also.

Edited by regfootball

I really liked the GP gxp and I found a demo I could lease for 240 a month but Im not into leasing. I really like the idea of the malibu as a sleeper. Ive been looking for reviews of the malibu SS sedan today and most places all I find is a quicky on the maxx ss that gives driving impreshions but no hard performance numbers except for a crazy high 7.8 0-60 estimate. That is nuts as the g6 auto 3.9 is supposed to be 6.6 and thats a heavier car. When I drove the SS it blew the doors off my alero and the alero is about 7.8. anyone have any good reviews online or recall any good mag reviews with good test data.