New Century Commences at Toyota, drops V12

David

image.png

Seems Toyota has come out with a new Century Luxury Sedan for Chauffeur based driving. The first came out in 1967 to be the ultimate conveyance for the Emperor of Japan, the Imperial house and politicians. The newest version is now 210 inches overall with a 121.6 wheel base. Packed with modern tech and now will use the Lexus LS 600H 5L V8 replacing the very old V12.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/23/toyota-century-hybrid-v8-luxury-sedan/#slide-7361448

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It is soooooo ugly that it's cool. 

And when I say ugly... I just mean it looks like a 90's sedan picked up and dropped in 2018. 

At least it is still a Sedan. :P 

Here is Toyota's info on the Century product line from the begining:

http://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/car/id60010388/index.html

Here is the actual Japanese Toyota website for the car and I have to say that I would easily put this up against the S-class from Mercedes-benz.

https://toyota.jp/century/?padid=ag341_tjptop_topmv_century_car

The craftsmanship is amazing and I bet it would outlast at a much lower cost of ownership than compared to the S-class.

Love it in this wine color

image.png

7 different interior color combos that are standard without going custom. Even quality cloth is available.

carlineup_century_interior_top_viewer_01

• Thanks 1

It's only the 3rd generation of Century in 50 years, the 1st gen lasted 30 years!   Very subtle styling changes over the years.   I saw one of the 80s ones in So Cal a few years ago, neat looking cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's only the 3rd generation of Century in 50 years, the 1st gen lasted 30 years!   Very subtle styling changes over the years.   I saw one of the 80s ones in So Cal a few years ago, neat looking cars.

I've yet to see one. My rarest JDM spotting was a Nissan Figaro years ago.

8 minutes ago, frogger said:

I've yet to see one. My rarest JDM spotting was a Nissan Figaro years ago.

We've had to RHD Nissan Skylines show up here randomly recently.  We're not exactly a town for gray market vehicles like that

Yeah, I haven't seen any vintage JDM iron around Cleveland other than one R32 Skyline I saw blasting along a freeway last fall.   I saw with some regularity JDM cars older than 25 years in Arizona and So Cal over the last decade--several 70s-80s Skylines, a couple '80s Toyota Soarers, a Century,  an '80s Chaser, etc.   The vintage JDM car culture is much stronger in So Cal and Phoenix, mostly see Detroit iron around here. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Saw these all the time going to college in Kobe Japan, but mostly I just see the same Skylines running around Seattle. Not much else.