Kia News: Kia K5 Previews US 2021 Optima

Drew Dowdell

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That detail and the C-pillar quarter window shape kind of remind me of the MXZ.

So True, in this regards it does fail that part and now that it has been brought to my attention, I have to agree with @oldshurst442 that small opening into a large trunk would make me go CUV/SUV if I was a car guy. Sadly once Cadillac stopped offering cars with large trunks, I went SUV and never looked back.

I can't stand the hatchback look on any sedan.

The DRL LED bars that go that far up the front quarter panel is a unique design taken from the whole Cadillac line of vehicles that they've had since the 2008+ CTS and 2013+ ATS now CT4 and CT5, 2010+ SRX/XT5 and new XT6 as well as 2015+ Escalade and the full width taillights are also pretty similar to the current Charger. I also see the Charger front hood line and even the Mustang inset grille look in the side view of front end. I guess they can all take it as a compliment, but Hyundai/Kia always mix like 4 or 5 different competitors makes and/or models nearly identical design cues into each of their vehicles which makes a weird Frankenstein like look, the Koreans need to spend more on R&D and stop taking identical design cues from everyone else, they're the worst about it. 

27 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

I can't stand the hatchback look on any sedan.

The DRL LED bars that go that far up the front quarter panel is a unique design taken from the whole Cadillac line of vehicles that they've had since the 2008+ CTS and 2013+ ATS now CT4 and CT5, 2010+ SRX/XT5 and new XT6 as well as 2015+ Escalade and the full width taillights are also pretty similar to the current Charger. I also see the Charger front hood line and even the Mustang inset grille look in the side view of front end. I guess they can all take it as a compliment, but Hyundai/Kia always mix like 4 or 5 different competitors makes and/or models nearly identical design cues into each of their vehicles which makes a weird Frankenstein like look, the Koreans need to spend more on R&D and stop taking identical design cues from everyone else, they're the worst about it. 

I genuinely do not see any of what you're seeing. All of those things you pointed out see like such a stretch to say they took those design cues. 

57 minutes ago, dfelt said:

When Cadillac went to this design is when I went SUV.

See the source image

To me, that is what I see Kia has done with their trunk, killed the opening with a stupid look like this.

I was going to say, never looked back? Have you seen the trunks in the CT6 and CT5 or even the 2008 or 2014 CTS? They're YUGE!! Lol!

CT6

image.png.d6786d7d0c545f99deaa1c08d0966096.png

CT5

image.thumb.png.30f698798ec882ccea71899052f42338.png

2014 CTS

image.png.2d6aef2c01df4427f72f6cc973a54e91.png

2008 CTS

image.thumb.png.dc82fdc2279ffcad1fd86bf5e547ae31.png

Edited by USA-1

23 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Have you seen the trunks in the CT6 and CT5

The CT5's trunk is anything but huge, it's 11.9 cubic feet. 

For reference, a Corolla's trunk is 13.0 cubic feet. 

More appropriately;

C Class trunk volume: 12.6 cubic feet

E Class trunk volume: 13.1 cubic feet

3 Series trunk volume: 17.0 cubic feet

5 Series trunk volume: 14.5-18.7 cubic feet

Audi A4 trunk volume: 13.0 cubic feet

Audi A6 trunk volume: 13.7 cubic feet

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I genuinely do not see any of what you're seeing. All of those things you pointed out see like such a stretch to say they took those design cues. 

Really? None?

Eh you're right CTS and the new CT cars do look a hellava lot better 😎

image.png.d513327b7266cd4de9ca6c3533f5e5cc.png

image.thumb.png.cb36d62f2071f0fe7197ee49e7f3d493.png

image.png.8fd23dd4365749e6eb2b637a347c77b3.png

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The CT5's trunk is anything but huge, it's 11.9 cubic feet. 

For reference, a Corolla's trunk is 13.0 cubic feet. 

More appropriately;

C Class trunk volume: 12.6 cubic feet

E Class trunk volume: 13.1 cubic feet

3 Series trunk volume: 17.0 cubic feet

5 Series trunk volume: 14.5-18.7 cubic feet

Audi A4 trunk volume: 13.0 cubic feet

Audi A6 trunk volume: 13.7 cubic feet

Corolla? LMAO! Relax dude, I was giving @dfelt a hard time. It's called friendly banter.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

When Cadillac went to this design is when I went SUV.

See the source image

To me, that is what I see Kia has done with their trunk, killed the opening with a stupid look like this.

image.png.12c62407f6819a457a09e73d35219362.png

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

Except... the bustleback Seville's lid was actually pretty long, it just had its kink toward the top of the lid, not the bottom, the actual opening was not that tiny.  And it lost .5 cu ft trunk space v. the previous X-body based car (14.4 v. 14.9 cu ft).

Edited by ocnblu
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Really? None?

Eh you're right CTS and the new CT cars do look a hellava lot better 😎

image.png.d513327b7266cd4de9ca6c3533f5e5cc.png

image.thumb.png.cb36d62f2071f0fe7197ee49e7f3d493.png

image.png.8fd23dd4365749e6eb2b637a347c77b3.png

I really don't.

And absolutely, the CT cars definitely look better, I just don't see a resemblance. 

Also, the LED curling up the fender was already designed by Kia before the CT5 was released.. It wasn't something they threw together in the last 2-3 months. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Except... the bustleback Seville's lid was actually pretty long, it just had its kink toward the top of the lid, not the bottom, the actual opening was not that tiny.  And it lost .5 cu ft trunk space v. the previous X-body based car (14.4 v. 14.9 cu ft).

Still Fuggy, looks like it got its ass cut off and makes the front awkward looking with that flat ass.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I really don't.

And absolutely, the CT cars definitely look better, I just don't see a resemblance. 

Also, the LED curling up the fender was already designed by Kia before the CT5 was released.. It wasn't something they threw together in the last 2-3 months. 

2008+ CTS. I had a White Diamond 2013 CTS-V Coupe (first pic) so I know first hand what it had. With the 2014 CTS it was more defined and went further up the fender, but the large headlight fixture had the long vertical LED light bar from bumper to top of fender in 2008. It's a distinctive Cadillac design cue long before the CT4 and CT5.

image.png.8f33e1cae80f8f5bfc3921580e992af6.png

image.png.c17fd9c9e8245a5f4b3e10aa1d3f3048.png

image.png.6d47186c4c33edfca37161c4e6f642c3.png

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Still Fuggy, looks like it got its ass cut off and makes the front awkward looking with that flat ass.

Super aerodynamic in reverse though! 😂

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Personally, I would not say that trails out of the headlight cluster until the 2013/2014s. 

My point and @balthazar is that Cadillac has had the distinctive vertical LED light piping design cue front and back for over a decade and no other manf. has gone there until now with Hyu/Kia Palisade and K5.

To your own point Cadillac has been doing it for 7 years in the front.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Palisade is specifically supposed to riff on the Escalade I think 

Exactly. Even both names are 3 syllables that end in "ade". Can't blame Hyundai for tryin' 😁

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm going to have a Palisade in for evaluation in 2 weeks. Should be interesting to see how it stands up. 

Drive it like you stole it!! Just get it back with 4 wheels still intact. 🤣

• Haha 1