Jump to content
Create New...

February finds on the open road (cars you've seen this month)


trinacriabob

Recommended Posts

Sheez, I would have liked to have a photo upon starting this month's car spotting thread, but I was driving on the freeway a ways behind it.

I saw a '95 or '96 Buick Riviera in a candy apple red metallic color which may have been an extra cost color that year.

There's nothing really off the charts about such a sighting except that you don't see them that often, it was in excellent condition, and, from the rear, and rear 3/4, views, the strong fender flanks and the almost oval shape of the slightly inset rear fascia and tail lamp assembly make a pretty strong (and good) statement.  (I am definitely not a fan of what I call its preying mantis front end.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a silver one of those last gen Rivs I see fairly often around here.  I really like the profile, rear end, and interior...and the decklid is pretty long for a late 90s car.    There is a house a few streets over that has this one, along w/ a last-gen Park Avenue Ultra and an early 90s Regal 2dr.  I think they may be a Buick fan...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

February 11

I see the rounded Town Cars every now and then, but how often does one see these formal, boxy ones with that real thin opera window in the rear sail panel?  On Atlanta's north side, in Sandy Springs, GA. Probably a 4.6 V8.  Spotless.

KIMG6919.thumb.JPG.b5d5965004f7f3018b9c27e63a0eb209.JPG

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

February 11

I see the rounded Town Cars every now and then, but how often does one see these formal, boxy ones with that real thin opera window in the rear sail panel?  On Atlanta's north side, in Sandy Springs, GA. Probably a 4.6 V8.  Spotless.

KIMG6919.thumb.JPG.b5d5965004f7f3018b9c27e63a0eb209.JPG

 

That looks like a '95-97.   The '90-94 was very similar, but had a fixed quarter window in the rear door and squarer headlights, the '95-97 had slightly rounded grille and headlights and a new dashboard.  I've always liked these, I had a silver '97 rental I drove to my 10th high school reunion in Marathon, Fl back in '98.   My Dad's last new car was a silver blue '96.     All the '90s TCs had the 4.6 except for the 1990, which was the first year of this design but had the carryover 5.0, with the new modular 4.6 coming in for '91. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That looks like a '95-97.   The '90-94 was very similar, but had a fixed quarter window in the rear door and squarer headlights, the '95-97 had slightly rounded grille and headlights and a new dashboard.  I've always liked these, I had a silver '97 rental I drove to my 10th high school reunion in Marathon, Fl back in '98.   My Dad's last new car was a silver blue '96.     All the '90s TCs had the 4.6 except for the 1990, which was the first year of this design but had the carryover 5.0, with the new modular 4.6 coming in for '91. 

You know this vehicle.  Sort of like I know the year to year details about Cutlass Supremes.

I have heard that term "modular" about this engine, but I don't know what they meant by that.

Assuming the high school reunion was enjoyable to begin with, taking a TC to one's high school reunion on the Florida Keys might have made it even more memorable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

You know this vehicle.  Sort of like I know the year to year details about Cutlass Supremes.

I have heard that term "modular" about this engine, but I don't know what they meant by that.

Assuming the high school reunion was enjoyable to begin with, taking a TC to one's high school reunion on the Florida Keys might have made it even more memorable.

Ford's 'modular' family was named as such because in theory components could be interchanged between V6 and V8 engines of different displacements.   Long running family of engines, in SOHC and DOHC versions. 

The first reunion was fun...small turn out, maybe 20 people out of a class of 64.  Flew in from Colorado Springs. The 2nd reunion had a bigger turnout, had an '08 Mustang convertible rental then.    Flew in from Arizona.  Was really hot and humid in Miami in July, but the breezes offset the humidity in Marathon.   Not sure why, but we didn't have a 30th reunion in 2018. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

February 13

This is yet another unique color available for the Dodge Charger.  Kudos to the make and the model for many color choices when the trend is toward contraction.  I don't know if I'd buy one in this color, but it has grown on me. 

KIMG7186.thumb.JPG.4c1ae7c33edef6aa803b10fbe48dd298.JPG

It looks right at home in sub-tropical South Florida.

You don't have to be or drive "granola" to go green.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

February 17

This one made for a good laugh.  How often does one see a Malibu Maxx?  Then, it has a V6, it has FL plates, and the light bulb went on - one of our colorful C&G members, meaning he got into some interesting arguments on here in the 2000s, was the proud owner of a V6 Maxx and hung his hat somewhere in Palm Beach County.

KIMG7339.thumb.JPG.2b4ffc2ac8f0551681a08eb1843d49a1.JPG

There is no shortage of expensive and/or exotic iron in South Florida.  No shortage whatsoever.  This was on Federal Highway in Broward.  It's not in my budget, nor is it my style, so I didn't look at its badging.

KIMG7395.thumb.JPG.52606c56213ae3c1b57ec13fcc741c84.JPG

KIMG7396.thumb.JPG.e9b89fb2c7aef9208d15949b03262f7a.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to get my act, and photos, together after being away during this time.

Along the Gulf Coast

February 20

538052041_KIMG7794-inked.thumb.jpg.60042ff4dcf28f936ad2f6001851538e.jpg

Interesting variation of the Cooper line-up.

February 22

KIMG7952-a-inked.thumb.jpg.6004afa9311e81bbb0df7e7d82d93686.jpg

Classic.  And people fault me for stereotyping?  Check out the "Oregonism" sticker.  They'd be better off with a garden variety orgasm instead.

KIMG7988.thumb.JPG.a553cf684c730bd36bd35bdacd35e6ab.JPG

Rarely does one see Karmann Ghias.  Wow.  Mild weather probably helped keep this one in great shape.  It brought a smile to my face.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

A little late with this one, too.  Spotted on South Padre Island toward the end of February.  Someone's last-gen LaCrosse with Midwest plates (a "Winter Texan!"), the Sapphire condo tower (the tallest here, yes, but the density is low compared to Miami Beach), and a beautiful day.

KIMG8294.thumb.JPG.0c811d2b6658829be20247809247d4aa.JPG

Looking south along SPI Beach.  I believe the Sapphire is the last structure way down at the end.

KIMG8301.thumb.JPG.e294dd33b27fce61b2bc1d10d282febc.JPG

As long as you're here when it's not crowded, and the weather is still good, South Padre Island is wonderfully relaxing.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search