Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Sacramento California outlaws numerous home/personal auto repairs

A few years ago California passed laws limiting the modifications that can be done to a car's exhaust. The state also has plans to outlaw the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles in the state by 2035. Now Sacramento County has taken an extra step. A new law passed by the county will limit the kinds of repairs car owners can do to their vehicles.

These include "minor repairs" which the new code defines as follows:

Minor adjustments, service, and repairs to automobiles or other passenger vehicles. Examples include but are not limited to: radiator, transmission, muffler, and brake repair, lubricant shops, diagnosis and tune-up, smog inspection, auto glass repair and installation, automotive seat covers, and re-upholstery, tire sales and service, and car washes. Shall not include body and engine work as defined in “Major Automobile Repair.” (See Section 7.3 of the Zoning Code). [~ Code Enforcement Sacramento]

In summation, this law keeps car enthusiasts from completing more complex repairs which are outlined as jobs that would leave the vehicle inoperable for more than 24 hours. However more simple tasks like oil changes, tune-ups, tire changes, and brake changes, are allowed.

In addition, you are not allowed to work on another person's vehicle. Also, work done on any vehicle must be completed at the home the vehicle is registered to. Talk about red tape.

The new law also limits the use of many specialized tools for some reason too. The thing is many of these "specialized" tools are in fact common sights in garages. Restricted tools include air compressors, impact wrenches, and even tools as simple as torque wrenches. The law further defines these items as “tools not normally found in a residence.” Yikes.

Even more troubling is the law's vagueness on restricted parts and tools. For example, regular disc brake changes are fine according to the law while drum brakes, common on older vehicles, are not mentioned in the code. So this means somebody changing the drum brakes on their classic Camaro might find themselves in some hot water if they're not careful.

An online explainer on the code says that the law is supposed to decrease the release of pollutants as well as maintain property values as some deem the sight of auto repairs in residential areas an eyesore.

“The chemicals involved in major automobile repair can pollute our neighborhoods and endanger the health and wellbeing of our residents,” reads the statement. “Furthermore, this kind of activity increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property value.”

Many are wondering how these laws will be enforced. One member of the Grassroots Motorsports forum claims he has already been fined $430 for violating the code. "I have not been left alone, they levied a $430 fine yesterday. You can request a hearing to review the code enforcement decision, which costs $700 to complain," he wrote.

It sounds as if Sacramento County has turned into a giant HOA. Proponents of the law argue that it is meant to prevent, scammy, fly-by-night shops from popping up in residential areas, but so far mainly personal car owners have felt the weight of the new code.

Well...

I keep on saying it.   Politicians all over the planet want to move away from ICE.  As quickly as they can. I am NOT surprised that they will come up with ANY kind of solution, law, plan to accelerate the disappearance of ICE on our roads...

ICE can be with us for another 50 years.   Easily 50.  ICE could exist 100 years from today actually.  But the planet's leaders do NOT want that.   Hydrogen for transport trucks will probably BE the defacto fuel going forward. Not BEV.

I do NOT know what will power airplanes and boats in the future.

But I DO know and Im NOT surprised that planet Earth leaders from ALL levels of government will pursue the death of gasoline powered personal transportation vehicles as soon as possible.  

Unconstitutional or not.  Its going to happen.   And the more I read shyte like this, the more I see that BEVs WILL be the SOLE vehicles we drive BY 2035.

European and Asian cities WILL ban internal combustion engined vehicles in their URBAN areas.  Some North American cities too.

To ensure that internal combustion enthusiasts will NOT keep their internal combustion powered cars, some politicians WILL infringe on your rights and freedoms by trying to pass shytty laws like this.

And you know what?   

Judges, even if challenged, will DEFEND a law like this.  

Words are powerful. And could be manipulated.  And like I said, the writing is on the wall for the internal combustion engine.  Whether we like that or not...  

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2021 at 6:38 AM, balthazar said:

Unconstitutional.

How is this unconstitutional for a county to set laws governing what you can and cannot do to your auto?