Enclave replaces Rendezvous, Ranier

Flybrian

Link to original article @ Lansing State Journal

Out with the old, in with the new: Buick Enclave to replace two other models

Published June 13, 2006

Lansing State Journal

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. has decided to replace two of its Buick models with the new Buick Enclave.

The Enclave, which will be made at the GM's new Lansing Delta Township assembly plant, will replace the Buick Rainier and Rendezvous, Automotive News reported.

The Enclave is expected to go into production next year. The Rendezvous, made in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, and the Rainer, made in Moraine, Ohio, will be phased out within the next year, Automotive News said.

-----------------

We knew it, now its in writing.

My wife & I rented a Renezvous for a week a couple of years ago & came away seriously impressed. Yeah, it's kinda' goofy looking, but was a nice blend of SUV & mini-van that even my mini-van hating wife liked.

While the Ranier may be the nicest of that line of SUVs, I'm glad to see it go. I hate badge engineering.

I have high expectations for the Enclave. I expect to see plenty of them on the road.

I'm going to miss the Rendezvous name and vehicle... It's reasonably priced, had style inside and out, and did everything a typical buyer was looking for.

I just hope the Enclave isn't too expensive... Buick really needs a reasonably priced compact Rendezvous if the Enclave is going in the $40k range.

Listen, when the Rendezvous first came out, I thought it was UGLY. As time went on, it not only got more appealing, but the interior tweaks helped it out a bit. Added a refined engine, and now the vehicle was more befitting of the Buick name.

The name Rendezvous is wonderful and I think it fits Buick's image well. It has a decent meaning when it comes to names.

Now it is time for the Rendezvous to retire.

The Rainier, although a beautiful name, a beautiful mountain, and the nicest of the 360s, was still a half-assed attempt in my opinion. It was a stop-gap to replace the Bravada since Olds was gone, and fill a space in the lineup and add some life to Buick during the SUV craze. I'm not sorry to see it go.

I welcome the Enclave with open arms. It screams beauty and elegance in every way. It is perfect for the Buick lineup and I'm confident it will sell like crazy and bring new customers into the Buick showroom. It combines old Buick cues with new technology and art and brings forth new life and energy to the company that really needs it.

If the Enclave is any suggestion as to what Buicks will be in the not-too-distant future, the company is safe.

I'm going to miss the Rendezvous name and vehicle... It's reasonably priced, had style inside and out, and did everything a typical buyer was looking for.

I just hope the Enclave isn't too expensive... Buick really needs a reasonably priced compact Rendezvous if the Enclave is going in the $40k range.

I agree Ven, no matter what the price will be. Was it you who suggested they do a new Rendezvous based on the next-gen long-wheelbase TE (a putative GMT 173)? The Enclave is possibly too big for most buyers, and a cheaper, midsize crossover would better challenge the next RX350 and rack up higher sales.

I agree that a smaller crossover is needed but the RX, like the Highlander, is supposed to become larger to compete against the Lambdas. Perhaps a premium, sub (or whatever)-Theta could work?

The Enclave should replace both the Rendezvous and Ranier. It is twice the vehicle in design, elegance and luxury.

I agree that a smaller crossover is needed but the RX, like the Highlander, is supposed to become larger to compete against the Lambdas. Perhaps a premium, sub (or whatever)-Theta could work?

The Enclave should replace both the Rendezvous and Ranier.  It is twice the vehicle in design, elegance and luxury.

Yup. They need to get a new V8 in there in a year to really command luxury and performance. I am SO hoping the production version of the Enclave doesn't let me down. It needs to knock one out of the park.

I agree Ven, no matter what the price will be. Was it you who suggested they do a new Rendezvous based on the next-gen long-wheelbase TE (a putative GMT 173)? The Enclave is possibly too big for most buyers, and a cheaper, midsize crossover would better challenge the next RX350 and rack up higher sales.

Yeah... I was one of them. I still agree with that idea if Buick's line-up is to remain similar... The Enclave will probably be too big or too expensive for the established market that the Rendezvous has created. I'd hate to see Buick just drop and abandon those buyers. The Rendezvous starts at $24k. Considering the possible base price of the Enclave, a Theta or TE-based Rendezvous... 4cyl & V6... would slot beneath Enclave perfectly.

But GM might have changed its strategy and become ambitious with Buick's push to move upscale:

The next LaCrosse (FWD/AWD) could start around $28-$30k considering it will be slotted above the $25k Saturn Aura XR

That would push the Lucerne replacement up in price also. If it's on GM's Global RWD platform, the 2nd Gen Lucerne might be able to pull off the price premium.

The Enclave will already have been priced close to other comparable luxury CUVs.

That's a true upscale/luxury line-up, if not a very small one.

The next LaCrosse (FWD/AWD) could start around $28-$30k considering it will be slotted above the $25k Saturn Aura XR

That would push the Lucerne replacement up in price also. If it's on GM's Global RWD platform, the 2nd Gen Lucerne might be able to pull off the price premium.

The Enclave will already have been priced close to other comparable luxury CUVs.

Wow, makes perfect sense--what's so upsetting is that Buick would then leave my territory (pricewise)! I'd then have to become a Saturn buyer.

But hey, if they can deliver awesome product and get it for those prices--I say go right ahead!

Wow, makes perfect sense--what's so upsetting is that Buick would then leave my territory (pricewise)!  I'd then have to become a Saturn buyer.

You think you have it hard? Olds is dead, Buick is moving up, Cadillac has always been expensive, and Pontiac killed the only model I really like. Saturn won't haggle and there's no way I'd drive a Chevy. I'm screwed soon.

But GM might have changed its strategy and become ambitious with Buick's push to move upscale:

And what makes you think that's not the plan... :scratchchin: