June Car Spotting Thread

@trinacriabob @oldshurst442

Awesome pictures, thank you for snapping and sharing. That 442 that I know Olds would love got me thinking about the future of auto's and while Oldsmobile is a dead brand and I just finished watching Demolition Man where you see a supposedly 23rd Century modern electric Olds Dealership and then the Demolition man in a old 442 with Sandra Bullock smashes out the store front had me thinking of a GM modern 442 electric version.

So originally the 442 stood for 4 barrel, 4 speed transmission, and dual exhaust. 1965 is when Olds broke GM's internal rule about mid-size auto's having V8's biger than 330 cubic inches in size and the Olds 442 changed to represent 400 cubic inches, 4 speed transmission and dual exhaust.

1968-72 Oldsmobile 442 values are holding steady, for now - Hagerty Media

I now wonder if GM could not make a modern 21st century EV as a 442 which would be 4 electric motors, 4 doors and dual roof panels as a modern performance sedan to compete against Tesla Platinum and other performance luxury sedans.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, David said:

I now wonder if GM could not make a modern 21st century EV as a 442 which would be 4 electric motors, 4 doors and dual roof panels as a modern performance sedan to compete against Tesla Platinum

Thoughts?

4 electric motors  

4 doors 

2 modes     (sports sedan/sedate sedan software programming)  (It hunkers down like a Tesla in Cheetah mode accelerating, but stays there for a low center of gravity for sport sedan shenanigans. But the other mode's programming, the height and suspension tuning is pillowey soft but confident for luxury isolation heaven-ness.)  (air suspension is standard equipment...obviously to make all this happen)

AND another variant

4 electric motors

4 different stances  (hunkered down like a modern 2 door sports coupe, lifted rear like a 1970s muscle car, lifted front end like a gasser, lifted on all 4 corners to be used as an off roader.  4 wheeel drive, right with 4 electric motors on each wheel? Of course the relevant tires for each mode are to be bought separately)  (air suspension is standard equipment...obviously to make all this happen)

2 door coupe

• Oh Yeah! 1