June Car Spotting Thread

Not much seen yet this month, but this pic popped up in my FB timeline--my Jeep in my carport in Phoenix, as I was packing up 5 years ago today.   That was the day I left the desert void for good...starting a 2100 mile drive to Ohio that evening.  All in all, I've enjoyed life in green, rainy NE Ohio way more than desert life. 

18814036_10213285582363970_8999428365065847676_n.jpg

• Agree 2

Picked up from Hertz for the weekend trip.  Equinox LT AWD w/ a Florida plate.   Did that because my sister hates long trips in my Jeep and I find her Trax too small.  Did a brief local drive, seems comfortable.  Seems like the seats are wider and more hiproom than my Jeep.  Huge pano sunroof.  

5339489E-B765-4C93-ABFE-FF3AF073C23A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Picked up from Hertz for the weekend trip.  Equinox LT AWD w/ a Florida plate.   Did that because my sister hates long trips in my Jeep and I find her Trax too small.  Did a brief local drive, seems comfortable.  Seems like the seats are wider and more hiproom than my Jeep.  Huge pano sunroof.  

5339489E-B765-4C93-ABFE-FF3AF073C23A.jpeg

Looking forward to a review of the auto after you get back home. Have a fun weekend Robert! 

Concert Mcr GIF by My Chemical Romance

• Agree 1

Had a good quick trip to Syracuse...left yesterday just before noon at got back at 8am this morning.  The Paul McCartney concert was great...amazing to see a 79 year old sing and perform for almost 3 hours..his backing band was solid. Great laser show and pyrotechnics on ‘Live and Let Die’.  The pre- and post-concert traffic was awful--huge crowds on a college campus and narrow streets.. (took 1 1/2 hrs to get from the U of Syracuse Carrier Dome back to where I'd parked the rental car).... about a 6 hr drive home on I-90.   

First time I'd drive a current-gen Equinox--a very pleasant CUV.  Easy to get in and out of, easy to see out of, comfortable (the seats had plenty of adjustment, not-over bolstered, didn't pinch my back).   Easy to use controls.   The pano roof w/ power shade works nicely.  Good on gas I think--made it from Cleveland to Syracuse (about 350 miles) on a little over 1/2 a tank.  (Alas, no CD player or CarPlay but did use Sirius XM to listen to the Beatles channel.   I'd rent another. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Had a good quick trip to Syracuse...left yesterday just before noon at got back at 8am this morning.  The concert was great...amazing to see a 79 year old sing and perform for almost 3 hours..his backing band was solid.  The pre- and post-concert traffic was awful--huge crowds on a college campus and narrow streets.. (took 1 1/2 hrs to get from the U of Syracuse Carrier Dome back to where I'd parked the rental car).... about a 6 hr drive home on I-90.   

First time I'd drive a current-gen Equinox--a very pleasant CUV.  Easy to get in and out of, easy to see out of, comfortable (the seats had plenty of adjustment, not-over bolstered, didn't pinch my back).   Easy to use controls.   The pano roof w/ power shade works nicely.  Good on gas I think--made it from Cleveland to Syracuse (about 350 miles) on a little over 1/2 a tank.  (Alas, no CD player or CarPlay but did use Sirius XM to listen to the Beatles channel.   I'd rent another. 

Who's concert did you go to this past weekend?

24 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Who's concert did you go to this past weekend?

Paul McCartney.  Going to see Ringo Starr in Pittsburgh in a couple weeks, so I will have seen half of the Beatles.  Was a lot of fun, though tired now from driving through the night getting home at 8 this morning..made for a lazy Sunday.  

I think I want to go back and a take a few days and explore the Finger Lakes region and Lake Ontario coast.  I’ve been to Western and Central NY a few times in the past, love the greenery, hills and lakes. Went to Niagara Falls 20+ years ago, want to go back.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2

Saw a couple Ford Mavericks on I-90 yesterday, first I’ve seen in the wild.  A black one and a blue-gray one.  Sharp little truck.   Also saw a sharp early 90s Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, top down. White w/ a black interior.  

Its a shame that half of the Beatles are dead.

Just as I was finding out who the Beatles were and what they meant, Lennon was murdered. But the thing is, when I first heard of the news that Lennon was murdered, I as a young kid, was not fully aware that John Lennon, was a Beatle, and was murdered...

It dawned on me that one of the Beatles had died when Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson was singing Say Say Say.  

Ive seen some nice rides these past few days. I will be posting some pics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was behind a Genesis GV80 for a while early Sunday morning and also saw it parked at a rest area on I-90.  Really like the taillight signature at night, for some reason the lights at night remind me of something Pontiac would have had at some point in time...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Here’s a rare one

What’s her beef with the Grand Cherokee?

Getting in and out because it sits so high (I need to get steps/rails), and she absolutely hates the seats on longer drives.. too narrow, too firm, can't get the seat low enough.   Breaking her foot in 2020 has really impacted her mobility and flexibility...the Trax is very easy to slide in and out compared to the Jeep's high chairs.

I've grown to loathe the seats myself--after driving 200 miles round trip several times a week lately, I've been getting a lot of back pain... the upper bolster in the seat feels like a knife in my spine after a while..   She and I agree my old Jeep ('00 Laredo) was much more comfortable.. 

Edited by Robert Hall

On 6/6/2022 at 5:09 AM, Robert Hall said:

Was behind a Genesis GV80 for a while early Sunday morning and also saw it parked at a rest area on I-90.  Really like the taillight signature at night, for some reason the lights at night remind me of something Pontiac would have had at some point in time...

Agree that is sharp looking.

image.png

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Blue badge says TD and yup, it’s the turbo diesel 

WOW, I totally forgot that they had offered it in a Diesel version. Proves our point as to how terrible GM marketing is. Actually, they could have totally passed on the diesel and should have put the VOLT powertrain into the Equinox when version 2.0 came out as that would have sold like hot cakes for GM.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Blue badge says TD and yup, it’s the turbo diesel 

NIIIIIICE! 

I wish those would have sold better but weren't they pretty damn pricey for what you got? 

The AWD version is rated 28/38. I'm sure you could easily top 40mpg with a little bit of a light foot. 

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

NIIIIIICE! 

I wish those would have sold better but weren't they pretty damn pricey for what you got? 

The AWD version is rated 28/38. I'm sure you could easily top 40mpg with a little bit of a light foot. 

yeah, there was a decent but not terrible upcharge for them.... but they only came in upper trims anyway. I don't think they built them as base models.

The big negative is that the AWD versions were dropped only a year or so in... so if you wanted a diesel + AWD as I would have, you were out of luck. 

41 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

yeah, there was a decent but not terrible upcharge for them.... but they only came in upper trims anyway. I don't think they built them as base models.

The big negative is that the AWD versions were dropped only a year or so in... so if you wanted a diesel + AWD as I would have, you were out of luck. 

Ahhh yeah, I do remember like the cheapest way to get the diesel was like 35-38k or something pretty nuts, because it was only available on the top trim. 

Whoa, just looked up a C&D test of the diesel 'Nox and I remembered it being slow...but this is real slow. 0-60 in 9.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 17.2 @ 80mph. I still think it would be a fantastic vehicle but you can't be in a rush if you own one of these. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Ahhh yeah, I do remember like the cheapest way to get the diesel was like 35-38k or something pretty nuts, because it was only available on the top trim. 

Whoa, just looked up a C&D test of the diesel 'Nox and I remembered it being slow...but this is real slow. 0-60 in 9.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 17.2 @ 80mph. I still think it would be a fantastic vehicle but you can't be in a rush if you own one of these. 

Yikes! That's a miracle! It manages to be slower than my Encore was. 

On 6/5/2022 at 5:00 PM, Robert Hall said:

Had a good quick trip to Syracuse...left yesterday just before noon at got back at 8am this morning.  The Paul McCartney concert was great...amazing to see a 79 year old sing and perform for almost 3 hours..his backing band was solid. Great laser show and pyrotechnics on ‘Live and Let Die’.  The pre- and post-concert traffic was awful--huge crowds on a college campus and narrow streets.. (took 1 1/2 hrs to get from the U of Syracuse Carrier Dome back to where I'd parked the rental car).... about a 6 hr drive home on I-90.   

Live (as opposed to recorded studio) performers and performances deserve a lot of credit.  They have to get it right.

I've been to Syracuse twice, I believe.  It's right on the New York Throughway.  I couldn't believe how hilly parts of it are, including most of the Syracuse Univ. campus itself.  

Interesting observations about the Equinox.  It is now powered by a 1.5 T 4 cyl.  However, it keeps a 6 speed automatic. 

That's good fuel usage.  The dash is pretty much the same dash as that of the Malibu.

I was talking to a neighbor I don't know that well.  He has a '17 Equinox.  He said his has a 2.4 L 4 cyl. and a 4 speed automatic transmission.  I told him he's lucky to have such a combination that should be very dependable.  I didn't know 2.4s were used by Chevy.  That's what is in the Verano.

Edited by trinacriabob

On 6/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, trinacriabob said:

I was talking to a neighbor I don't know that well.  He has a '17 Equinox.  He said his has a 2.4 L 4 cyl. and a 4 speed automatic transmission.  I told him he's lucky to have such a combination that should be very dependable.  I didn't know 2.4s were used by Chevy.  That's what is in the Verano.

I would think that would have been a 6 speed?  A 4spd auto would have been awfully outdated in 2017..that 2.4 was built in Tonawanda, NY according to Wikipedia...drove past an exit for Tonowanda on I-90 last weekend...IIRC, the '68 Camaro SS 396 my brother used to have had a Tonawanda decal on a valve cover.

Perfect June weather yesterday, saw a variety of nice oldies out and about ...a gorgeous medium blue w/ black stripes '70 1/2 Camaro Z/28 with the short rear spoiler; a lime frost '65 Mustang convertible--top down, mint;  a white w/ dark red interior early 80s Riviera convertible, top down, mint; a bright red '67 Camaro SS;  and a very clean white '63 Impala 2dr. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I would think that would have been a 6 speed?  A 4spd auto would have been awfully outdated in 2017..that 2.4 was built in Tonawanda, NY according to Wikipedia...drove past an exit for Tonowanda on I-90 last weekend...IIRC, the '68 Camaro SS 396 my brother used to have had a Tonawanda decal on a valve cover.

I looked up Wiki and saw more 6 speeds, even though they weren't listed as paired to engines.  That 2.4 EcoTec with a 6 speed automatic, by today's standards, is a keeper.

I have been seeing more mid-engine Corvettes lately.  I'm starting to like them more and more, but it's not anything I would ever own!  The last one I saw was an interesting orange color.  They look good from all angles and, from the side, it's a nicely proportioned sports car.  Also, that intake scoop behind the front door looks "daring," in a way ... and accomplishes brining in the air from outside.

I saw an Imperial sedan in excellent condition (probably a hobby car driven during the summer) tonight.  I couldn't photograph it since it was going the other way.  What a sight and blast from the past!

Posted on one of the rivian Instagram accounts. Rivian R1T and F150 Lighting charging up at a station in Colorado. 

Very cool to see them in the wild and side by side. Ford looks a few inches taller and longer.

Screenshot_20220618-111356_Instagram.jpg

• Agree 1

On this June day, it was definitely a '90s Buick sort of afternoon - seen about 1 hour apart ...

KIMG1532.thumb.JPG.49b4b81f60b46e3b2e9c713360c1dc56.JPG

This was the smallest Buick offered in the early '90s ... it could be had as a coupe or a sedan.  It was not at all cookie cutter in coupe form.  I remember liking it, but maybe not in this color.

KIMG1535.thumb.JPG.1530323fa9b86ce5593152b1132da1fc.JPG

It could be had with 4 cylinders and the 3300 V6, which would give someone the same reliability as the 3800.  The dashboard was also unique.  For a short while, I was looking to buy a used one in good condition.

KIMG1543.thumb.JPG.3dadb60b2b2509ce212ffbf9327b0b83.JPG

This Regal (Custom) sedan is in great condition for being about 25 years old.

KIMG1545.thumb.JPG.ddd384c89cae0fe50a76a7f4fdd0b13f.JPG

The lines weren't too bad, either.  It had to have alloys.  Skip the wheel covers and wire wheels.

KIMG1546.thumb.JPG.14e95a302587ae3545cc8bdd9d9549d5.JPG

I guess it's weird to do this.  I look around before I do this.  This tells me it's either a '95 or '96.  This set up is still cool, especially with a console.  However, the Regal really nailed it and a lot of owners really liked the ravine dash that went up to '94.  There was a lot going on stylistically in the earliest W-bodies.  That's not an opinion as to whether it was good or bad.

And, on another June day, it was the late, great Olds Aurora, which you still see around, but you see fewer and fewer of them.

KIMG1578.thumb.JPG.aea8b0e0f26abfd9f12c040eec133702.JPG

A car that probably benefitted from a sunroof.

867140980_KIMG1579-inked.thumb.jpg.8f7544ea54710074c29507cd6f867c77.jpg

This one had the gold trim package and the then newer 3.5 OHC V6, per its badging.

And, for FoMoCo fans, I recently saw this ~ 20 year old Thunderbird which was one of the better reboots of some classic American iron.

KIMG1599.thumb.JPG.372b3619704559a4d7a4d04d7fc43647.JPG

I believe these had a 255 c.i. V8, or thereabouts, and its owner was really proud of it.  I can see why.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

And, for FoMoCo fans, I recently saw this ~ 20 year old Thunderbird which was one of the better reboots of some classic American iron.

KIMG1599.thumb.JPG.372b3619704559a4d7a4d04d7fc43647.JPG

I believe these had a 255 c.i. V8, or thereabouts, and its owner was really proud of it.  I can see why.

It has a 3.9L V8 (had to look it up because I knew it had something unique). 241.9cu/3950cc.  252hp/267tq for 2002 and then up to 280hp/286tq in 03-05.  I'd assume this is the same V8 that went in the Lincoln LS. 

I actually think these have aged quite well. I wasn't much of a fan back when they came out but I think that looks pretty decent now. It's been awhile since I've seen on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

It has a 3.9L V8 (had to look it up because I knew it had something unique). 241.9cu/3950cc.  252hp/267tq for 2002 and then up to 280hp/286tq in 03-05.  I'd assume this is the same V8 that went in the Lincoln LS. 

I actually think these have aged quite well. I wasn't much of a fan back when they came out but I think that looks pretty decent now. It's been awhile since I've seen on. 

Yes, it is the same as the Lincoln LS, and there was an extremely minor change in stroke to make it a 4.0 for the Jaguar S-Type.

It was a fine engine, but Ford has all but abandoned support for it seeing as it only went into two low-volume cars.   Eventually parts will be made of unobtainium.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes, it is the same as the Lincoln LS, and there was an extremely minor change in stroke to make it a 4.0 for the Jaguar S-Type.

It was a fine engine, but Ford has all but abandoned support for it seeing as it only went into two low-volume cars.   Eventually parts will be made of unobtainium.

That's disappointing but also understandable for a couple low-volume vehicles. 

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, 3.9L V8, which is 242 c.i.  Thanks.  I remembered that it was in the mid 200's c.i. range. 

That's amazing.  That's one small V8 ... smaller than the 4.0 liter 6 cyl. that went into Jeeps.

This is one of those cars you like, but are glad someone else owns it and it's basically good eye candy, for lack of a better description.

Saw a very clean mid 70s Mercury Grand Marquis 2dr in dark blue w/ a pumpkin colored 1/2 vinyl top..I've seen '77 Cougars in that color combo, first time I've seen a GM in that color scheme.    Saw a very clean and shiny black '82 Mustang GT yesterday. 

On Friday saw a couple oldies on the interstate...a gray early 50s Olds 4dr sedan and a black late 30s Chevy 2dr coupe street rod. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

On 6/25/2022 at 8:03 PM, ccap41 said:

I was going for a run and came across a small little car show/meet. 

@oldshurst442 seen’t a 442 and thought if ya! 

There was even something electric for @David! Buuut I don’t think he could fit..😬😂

905BAB2D-5E6B-4171-95DB-006869928236.jpeg

79EB8437-D3B1-4527-97B9-BC7A2B7A39C9.jpeg

1BB5DE27-22DD-4979-B3F4-878B7F00F668.jpeg

F8CF9450-0932-4B2B-8F40-95EE7AFAD792.jpeg

76AF08D0-86FB-4976-A6DD-0DC82BD368C0.jpeg

7CE4135C-CB1C-4E41-9338-FD0969FC021D.jpeg

070C2001-1DA1-4D91-9F4E-239EE8A830D5.jpeg

0DE1E922-EFA1-4194-82C1-47740A938628.jpeg

Thanx man!

We've been through a lot.  Its been probably more than a decade that we have been throwing jabs at each other at the worst of times, but bonding for thee most part through ourr passions.  Sports and car!!!  

At the end of thee day, its all for fun.  At least we've created a relationship with each other that we find time to think about each other.    I think of you through the Blues and thee 4G Mustang.  

My neighbour 2 houses down just bought one sometime in June.  It looks like some sort of special edition.  I havent had time to analyze it orr ask questions about it.  Ill take a pic and post it.  Ive also got several pics that I took for June spottings that I never posted.  All within the first few days of June. 

On 6/25/2022 at 5:03 PM, ccap41 said:

I was going for a run and came across a small little car show/meet. 

@oldshurst442 seen’t a 442 and thought if ya! 

There was even something electric for @David! Buuut I don’t think he could fit..😬😂

905BAB2D-5E6B-4171-95DB-006869928236.jpeg

79EB8437-D3B1-4527-97B9-BC7A2B7A39C9.jpeg

1BB5DE27-22DD-4979-B3F4-878B7F00F668.jpeg

F8CF9450-0932-4B2B-8F40-95EE7AFAD792.jpeg

76AF08D0-86FB-4976-A6DD-0DC82BD368C0.jpeg

7CE4135C-CB1C-4E41-9338-FD0969FC021D.jpeg

070C2001-1DA1-4D91-9F4E-239EE8A830D5.jpeg

0DE1E922-EFA1-4194-82C1-47740A938628.jpeg

Thanks, I remember those electric cars from Auto shop in the late 70's, the teacher had one. I remember all those lead acid batteries in the bottom in serial and how it was cool but your right, even in High School I could not fit in it.

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Thanx man!

We've been through a lot.  Its been probably more than a decade that we have been throwing jabs at each other at the worst of times, but bonding for thee most part through ourr passions.  Sports and car!!!  

At the end of thee day, its all for fun.  At least we've created a relationship with each other that we find time to think about each other.    I think of you through the Blues and thee 4G Mustang.  

My neighbour 2 houses down just bought one sometime in June.  It looks like some sort of special edition.  I havent had time to analyze it orr ask questions about it.  Ill take a pic and post it.  Ive also got several pics that I took for June spottings that I never posted.  All within the first few days of June. 

No probby!

Yep, I don't mind the back and forth because I know, at the end of the day, we're still a family here! 

Speaking of sports... I'm quite disappointed in Colorado winning. I mostly just hate their owner as he's the owner of the former Stl Rams, Stan Kroenke. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Speaking of sports... I'm quite disappointed in Colorado winning. I mostly just hate their owner as he's the owner of the former Stl Rams, Stan Kroenke. 

I guess you wanted the Bengals to defeat the Rams in the last Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I guess you wanted the Bengals to defeat the Rams in the last Super Bowl.

Hahaha sure did... 

For an area that is very anti-Stan Kroenke, we've been kicked in the balls a couple times in the last 5 months. 

Which is unfortunate because I'm genuinely happy for the Rams players. I'm really glad to see Stafford win along with guys like Aaron Donals, Kupp, Weddle, Von Miller, Andrew Witworth and even punter Johnny Hekker as he was a Ram while they were in STL. I'm no fan of OBJ though. I cannot stand his personality.

Edited by ccap41

Also saw yesterday a really clean '88-89 Chevy C1500 regular cab long bed pickup, red w/ white sections down the sides...red interior.  Pretty sure on the year as those were the years they had the tiny rectangular headlights.. 

Just like this one...beautiful truck...always liked that generation.

1988-chevrolet-c1500.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/27/2022 at 9:19 AM, ccap41 said:

No probby!

Yep, I don't mind the back and forth because I know, at the end of the day, we're still a family here! 

I wanted the AVs to win.

Not so much as the AVs winning as much as I didnt want Tampa Bay winning. 

The Lightning won last year.  Not because they couldnt win it all without going over the salary cap. Because they could have won it all WITHOUT going over 7 or 8 million.  In a loop hole.  Congrats to them for benefiting from a loophole and the season started and ended for them perfectly where they benefitted from it.  

But it kinda still is poopy for this kinda thing to happen.  But in the long run I was OK with it...up until John Cooper decided to whine about Kadri's goal to which he specifically said the league does NOT want Tampa Bay to win a Stanley Cup....

He could have whined about Kadri's goal not being allowed and he would have been justified with THAT narrative.  But to cry and mislead into thinking that the league does not want Tampa to win is sheer arrogance and is NOT tolerated by me.  The league allowed the salary cap loop hole in their favour to play out and eventually it lead to a Stanley Cup.  The league didnt even  reprimand Tampa Bay for Tampa losing draft picks....  They let Tampa go scott free....

Any team with a  salary cup that exceeds 8 million could have won the Stanley Cup last year.  Id say the league and the situation favoured Tampa enough.   This year, a better team won.   If Tampa had that same loop hole carry out this year, they would win it again. Id say, THAT is a worse unfair thing to happen to the other 15 teams last year than a blown call for them this year.  Blown calls in the Stanley Cup playoffs is a tradition.   Loop holes in salary caps are not... 

Phoque Tampa Bay Lightning.

I do feel bad for Corey Perry though!!! 

Saw this in a parking lot this past weekend.  Given that I never really looked at Corvettes before, this must mean that I like the current model.

KIMG1648.thumb.JPG.8e7e6728693a15001f62fe99ec1c222f.JPG

When the driver opened the door, I believe it had (some) burgundy in the interior, which I think looks great with a silver exterior.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

I parked my car on a side street to avoid feeding a meter, got out, and saw this:

KIMG1600.thumb.JPG.5a32c11840b9d9db8f211e53dbcd1b10.JPG

All these ~20 year old Olds Aleros still on the road ... I thought these were cool little coupes.

This was seen last week.  I had gone in to get something to eat somewhere and, by the time I exited, there was obviously a car show in the parking lot.

KIMG1608.thumb.JPG.0df30e8fbc2c0d8b4356593f1c25ddd5.JPG

a

KIMG1610.thumb.JPG.c0c868ba2043706479864d217067d5a0.JPG

b

KIMG1611.thumb.JPG.f4ceb821cbe5e12fc454ec4c35cb80e2.JPG

c

KIMG1612.thumb.JPG.9c78de52059d42ffcc72b0b13c81418f.JPG

d

The above, IIRC, is (a) a '53 Chevy. You can (b) touch every spark plug of this inline 6 and the air cleaner assembly looks like a tea kettle.  You can (c) see all that room in the engine bay.  And you can also (d) see that only one belt does everything - water pump, crank, and alternator.  So, there are no belts for power steering, air conditioning, and an air pump.

KIMG1615.thumb.JPG.9e343ea4bdd33033755e87e362c56e5e.JPG

a

KIMG1637-inked.thumb.jpg.88f8aa3c506872bf7d89cb30be7f1fe4.jpg

b

KIMG1640.thumb.JPG.2f57f8888505fb9d07d5bb33a21927c5.JPG

c

I approached this car thinking it was a kit on a Mazda Miata.  It was not. The front end (a) looks like one.  The rear end (b) looks less like one. The owner explained it all to me and it's a Fiat product.  The rear badging (c) indicates it's a Fiat 124

KIMG1619.thumb.JPG.8ea8fa0041dc17351c17ba33966373e5.JPG

a

KIMG1618.thumb.JPG.9f6c1551cee7cdea95ef0e530014abdf.JPG

b

KIMG1621.thumb.JPG.1de2820fcf34a1d93e79f3fa9e12242b.JPG

c

This is a Chevy Bel Air ... possibly a 1957, but I'm not certain.  You can see that it's (a) a convertible, that (b) it has the very durable and popular 283 V8, but no power steering, and that (c) it has an automatic, but it's a 2 speed automatic unit

KIMG1625.thumb.JPG.f0b5da47b487422233f9078366c83358.JPG

a

KIMG1636.thumb.JPG.925e466c8f051439600f41977a213234.JPG

b

KIMG1623.thumb.JPG.f086ec4864dc49805309e4c95582eaf9.JPG

c

KIMG1627.thumb.JPG.0497b68e875f8eb614a5a66371c70c31.JPG

d

KIMG1633.thumb.JPG.fc12241969dca97d972ee8a75b6d4d14.JPG

e

And here's an (a) @oldshurst442 vehicle from 1972 ... I didn't look at the taillamps, but the owner told me.  The fender badging (b) told me this wasn't any ordinary Cutlass.  The engine (c) is an Olds Rocket 350, and the layout of the belts and attachments looks like an Olds V8i.  The owner almost seemed apologetic that it didn't have a 455!  It has a (d) manual transmission and gauges that were added to supplant what were probably just idiot lights on the dash, and the door panels have manual window cranks.  Finally, it does not have A/C, per the climate control panel (e) ... so look at the cheesy plastic applique up top and center to mimic as if air conditioning vents had been there!  That was the funniest thing about this car.

- - - - -

I know a small few who like and go to small car shows like this.  I only check out a few cars if I stumble in on one and move on quickly.

Some people are really nice and want to talk about their cars, and cars in general.  Others are basically cliques of D-listers who routinely show up at these get togethers, have known each other for a long time, and throw out some reverse snobbery to anyone who is well spoken and they detect has some polish.  

I overheard some talk in the restaurant by some attendees that was really off the mark.  I like dirty and politically incorrect jokes just fine.  However, the talk I overheard was more mean spirited in its tone and not as funny as they thought they were.  Since car shows are often popular with people without a lot of Klass, that's probably why I just keep on driving.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy (some of) the photos and, especially you, @oldshurst442

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 2