Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM News: GM/Pilot/EVgo Announce Drive Across America Fast Charging Stations

The nations largest public charging network for electric vehicles today announced their EVgo eXtend project in conjunction with General Motors and Pilot Company, parent company to the Flying J travel centers.

GM-Pilot-EVgo Network.png

Committed to a greener future and ease of driving everywhere, EVgo will install, operate and maintain the new network of 350 kW charging stations at all Pilot/Flying J travel centers across more than 40 states. To quote Alex Keros, GM Director of Charging Infrastructure and Development: 

“GM is committed to creating an all-electric future for all. This collaboration with Pilot Company and EVgo will help make that future a reality by significantly expanding access to highway charging from coast-to-coast in the U.S.,” “The corridor-focused project also complements our existing work with EVgo, including our efforts to add more than 3,250 fast chargers in U.S. cities and suburbs by the end of 2025.”

Snag_af55807.png

John Tully, Pilot Company's VP, Strategy and Business Development has this to say:

“Pilot Company strives to bring the best experience and offerings to the more than a million guests we serve every day,” "This new coast-to-coast network of fast chargers will give the nation's growing number of EV drivers the confidence they need when looking at long-distance travel by eliminating range anxiety and delivering the best amenities while they wait.”

Snag_af4cb86.png

All GM EV owners will be able to unlock the ease of convenient fast charging on the EVgo network with a one-time enrollment in the EVgo network and registering their auto via the GM Brand App (myChevrolet, myGMC, myCadillac) and linking their app to their EVgo account, then activating the plug and charge section within their GM brand app.

This Ultium Charge 360 is GMs commitment to an all-electric future. GM is committing $750 million; Pilot is committing $1 Billion; for this cross country charging network where fast charging stalls will be installed at 50-mile intervals. This will give the Ultium Charge 360 ecosystem over 100,000 24/7 charge points across the U.S. and Canada by 2025.

GM and Pilot Company to Build Out Coast-to-Coast EV Fast Charging Network

Pilot Flying J

EVgo Announces EVgo eXtend Project to Deploy High Power Fast Charging Access to Drivers Across the US | EVgo | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations - EV Fast Chargers

EVgo and General Motors Activate Plug and Charge Across EVgo Network | EVgo | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations - EV Fast Chargers

View full article

Love that this is looking at ensuring Fast 350 kW charging every 50 miles or so across the nations highway system. Should for sure make it simple for travel by anyone in an EV.

44 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

50 miles seems so close for vehicles who will get 200-300 miles of highway range but I guess it's always better safe than sorry. 

True, but then I thought about the cost of a gas station compared to installing chargers and it really is cheap to have chargers everywhere to make it simple to plug in no matter the range of the EV you get.

Here Tesla now has superchargers in all Fred Meyer and QFC lots. EVgo has chargers at all shopping malls here and along the streets in Everett, Seattle and Tacoma. Seems to be much more flexible to have chargers everywhere, especially at places of eating, resting, etc. than the dedicated underground tanks for a gas station.

You also got me thinking about this as I know I have a heavy foot and my wife always can tell when I have done more driving in the auto than she as we get much less rang on the gas tank. So I have to assume not everyone is going to be like the early adopters who try to eke out every mile and that the heavier foots like me will need to charge sooner than later.

I can see chargers being put in at national parks, city, county and state parks so one can charge pretty much anywhere.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:49 AM, ccap41 said:

50 miles seems so close for vehicles who will get 200-300 miles of highway range but I guess it's always better safe than sorry. 

Think how close together gas stations are now...charging stations should be just as close together or on the same sites.  Do any gas station chains have charging stations?  Or not because big oil is so antagonistic towards EVs? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Think how close together gas stations are now...charging stations should be just as close together or on the same sites.  Do any gas station chains have charging stations?  Or not because big oil is so antagonistic towards EVs? 

Shell seems to be adding charging stations throughout Europe, Asia and supposedly started installations here in North America, but have not seen any recently. Weird how there seems to be the big retailers and now only the rare chevron, Shell and Exxon/Mobile. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

We also don't have gas stations in our garages so it's not exactly a perfect comparison. 

I believe I've seen pictures of Shell stations with chargers but I'm not sure if that's in the US or elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

We also don't have gas stations in our garages so it's not exactly a perfect comparison. 

I believe I've seen pictures of Shell stations with chargers but I'm not sure if that's in the US or elsewhere. 

I have posted plenty of pictures of Shell Stations in the U.K. and Europe where they have chargers but until now, have not seen or heard of any in the U.S.

Seems the first are at the Shell Station at Boston Logan Airport.

Shell Installs Its First U.S. EV Charging Stations (cspdailynews.com)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, David said:

I have posted plenty of pictures of Shell Stations in the U.K. and Europe where they have chargers but until now, have not seen or heard of any in the U.S.

Seems the first are at the Shell Station at Boston Logan Airport.

Shell Installs Its First U.S. EV Charging Stations (cspdailynews.com)

That was back in 2019. I wonder how many there are now. I'm yet to see one but, I also haven't been looking for them, so there's that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That was back in 2019. I wonder how many there are now. I'm yet to see one but, I also haven't been looking for them, so there's that. 

Found an accurate answer as the updated Shell Gas Station search feature now shows EV Charging and there is a total of 18 in North America right now. Gas Station Near Me | Shell United States

image.png

• Thanks 1