SHOWROOM IMPRESSION: 2023 Cadillac Lyriq

Cadillac had a Lyric on tour here a couple days ago at a local dealer.  Coincidentally I was downtown for a work seminar that day which was close to the dealer, and I managed to make it just in time before the end of the day to check it out before they got it back on the trailer.

Images momentarily

238E50BA-2987-4403-ABEA-7E42BFEA80FB.jpeg

84FE6BA4-ADC4-45E4-B1BE-D2C8B9665648.jpeg

AFE0CB25-ADCA-4E2F-8247-259AE31EF30E.jpeg

1D4E7F0C-7CAB-4348-8915-91C82B6F5C93.jpeg

F850831E-F961-4263-823F-8B9B57D3C78D.jpeg

EDBA6436-FCD9-40FC-9994-D9DD82314DE6.jpeg

0BCAC00A-A55E-4782-BFD6-462A65B89111.jpeg

15AB81E9-D42C-4175-835B-49067920616A.jpeg

39DF5D5B-AC45-4F8F-B9F4-58ECABD3C24C.jpeg

E197E71D-0EC1-4F12-99CF-769E45197A44.jpeg

9B811809-B441-43D4-B2D9-3149A9EB03DE.jpeg

F842DDD4-89AC-4EB8-A8CE-ABD4E9326149.jpeg

5ADB6C1E-3856-4639-81D2-E1DE040B416B.jpeg

905A1E68-9B5B-415A-A4AC-E0FD44B415D1.jpeg

1202461D-CC62-4D46-897A-7C61FD133078.jpeg

797FB725-4414-4BC9-9577-6F932226C509.jpeg

C9A798D4-A925-4A33-82A8-44E927B03B2F.jpeg

515FFEE2-8212-419B-8849-50283695FE7A.jpeg

1A15C7FB-8844-404B-BEB1-6EED94CF18BB.jpeg

A90F890F-9BF4-43C0-82BF-22F3223050D5.jpeg

BC75BDB6-06A6-415F-9C9B-4C16A7DFBCA0.jpeg

F00F091D-E832-4DBF-9DCA-378228C96637.jpeg

925F0141-F95D-4373-B374-883BFD87F313.jpeg

7214AE61-4338-41A0-BEA3-7BF7999E0A73.jpeg

Edited by regfootball

This must have been the base trim level.  I didn't get in the driver's seat before they locked it up but I did get in the back seat.  The level of interior was not lux level although seemingly more like a base Cadillac trim level.  Rear seat space was not a ton, ok leg room but due to the skateboard platform withe batteries the floor was rather high so not much room in back to stretch six footer legs.  Felt more like its in-between a mid size and larger size in terms of girth and leg room.

Dash looked interesting and I think the console layout seems interesting.  Although, I generally much prefer a fully utilized and closed console.  Overall this won't give a luxury impression as a vehicle unless it has a higher trim level spec'd out.  The leather and plastics quality was decent but not rich.  Fair enough considering the starting price of it being both a Cadillac and an EV.

I couldn't get in the trunk to see how the space was there.

Styling, sharp....some slight EV weirdness plus generic GM profile means an attractive EV that's dressed up with enough Cadillac bling including a really cool lighted grille and funky taillights.

Exterior looks sharp, interior seems kind of plain.  Needs color...too much gray inside..   One styling detail I wonder about..those 'blades' above the taillights on each side of the hatch probably should have been windows.. probably very dark in the back w/ the thick pillars and the 'blades'..

• Agree 2

The interior is simplistic.  Could we replace the word simplistic with boring?   Yeah, maybe we could.   In the pictures above, the  TV screeens are turned off and that makes the 'wow' factor of EV television screens nonexistent .   Cadillac likes to market their curved OLED television screens and how big they are as a selling point so when that TV screen is off, our visual senses at looking at the Lyriq's interior are NOT turned on.  Especially when that TV screen is practically the whole dash... 

The bling blingyness off that interior comes from all the colourful animations of that TV screen and the different light shows that happen when one touches a capacitive button.  I think ALL EVs fall into that bullshyte trap of amusing us like we are 3 year olds.   That would be the one pet peeve I have we EVs is the unnecessary video game dancing light shows EV designers inondate us with.  And it seems, the higher the price tag of the EV, the more childish the designers treat us.  

But...in the pics above, its not clear if the Lyriq has shytty black plastic trim cheaping the interior, but in this CarandDriver pic,

2023 cadillac lyriq

one could see that the Lyriq has some nice metal trims. Is that metal coloured plastidip? Or is it truly metal trim like how Cadillac once upon a time ago done their interiors?  I think Cadillac done right and its real metal trim.   

I like the idea of the blade at the back hatch.  Ive analyzed it. Its quite stylish. It is concave in nature with interesting lines in it.  Something that glass might not be able to pull off easily.    It also doesnt follow the hatch window porofile. The blade is slightly higher and extends further back.   There is also a black plastic strip between the blade and the window. Perhaps that black strip is part of the blade?   Its a styling exercise that I too, would prefer if Cadillac could have reproduced that with glass.  More interior light and less of a blind spot.  But why worry about those trivial things when electrons flow effortlessly?  We rely on electron safety tech for everything nowadays. Why design proper sight lines when cameras can do the trick?  (hint of sarcastic questioning just in case nobody caught on) 

The Lyriq has a smooth exterior and interior design.  It looks like its worth its starting from  62 000 dollar US price tag.  I know in Canada, at $67 000 starting, Id say its a bargain for us Canadians.  The Lyriq in my eyes, does a fairly good job in offering a 60 000 dollar mass produced, bread and butter luxury vehicle in the foot steps of an early 1970s Cadillac Sedan DeVille or late 1980s and early 1990s Fleetwood.  I dont know how far up the ladder it climbs in terms of luxury and price, but Im assuming Cadillac will have plenty of other models to offer between the Lyriq and Celestiq.  Im kinda hoping that the Lyriq will be the cheapest in terms of price offered.  I really really want Cadillac to go upscale.  OK, Ill be OK if Cadillac offers a smaller and slightly cheaper model.  Like a model that starts at 55 00o dollars. But NOT lower than that. 

2023 Cadillac Lyriq vs. BMW iX: Electric Luxury SUV On-Paper Comparison

I re-read @Robert Hall's post about the Lyriq's interior being too grey.

Id agree. Id also like to add to it that its too black.  Maybe interiors do NOT need to have ANY black in them? Other colour choices is good too?  Maybe?

The Bimmer above is more boring than the Lyrics. At least the Lyriq has curves and different lines rather than just a slab of a dashboard. BUT...there is a minimal amount of black and NO grey.  

(How does one spell grey? Or gray?  I think its another one of those American spelling versus British spelling thing. I think Ill stick to what I was taught in school. But I struggle sometimes in becoming a turncoat and just go American all the way.)  

• Agree 2

I'm sick of gray interiors.  They just look cheap and generic...pretty much all the automakers are guilty of crappy gray plastic interiors... black interiors are like caves...  They need color choices.....and wood trim in 'premium' models.  

(there is some weird obsession with making everything gray these days..look at all the houses getting painted gray inside and out, gray painted over bricks, wood, gray kitchens, floors....'remodel gray'....barf.   )

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

23 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm sick of gray interiors.  They just look cheap and generic...pretty much all the automakers are guilty of crappy gray plastic interiors... black interiors are like caves...  They need color choices.....and wood trim in 'premium' models.  

(there is some weird obsession with making everything gray these days..look at all the houses getting painted gray inside and out, gray painted over bricks, wood, gray kitchens, floors....'remodel gray'....barf.   )

So true, the current coloring scheme is grey, dark blues and blacks. My son's house is all these colors, and it is so dark and gloomy to me.

1 hour ago, David said:

So true, the current coloring scheme is grey, dark blues and blacks. My son's house is all these colors, and it is so dark and gloomy to me.

Gross...  I couldn't imagine doing that to a house...but then again, I've never cared what the mainstream prefers.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 10:33 AM, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, the whole gray house thing has been a thing for far too long now.

• Agree 1