1991 Camaro Z28 1LE R7U resto

My friend recently acquired a 1991 Camaro 1LE from his dad and he is trying to restore it back to factory specs now. The 383 currently in it will be removed and sold off while the original 305 will be dropped back in. However, the 305 needs rebuilding and apparently the 1LE (performance package) motors were tuned differently and sealed differently in Van Nuys. Anyways, the R7U was a special code for 32 Camaro 1LEs that year to be converted slightly to racing spec to compete in the Canadian Player's Challenge Series. I am trying to find out any other information for him as he wants to put the roll cage back in it, needs the side exhaust of the R7Us again, and he plans to get the decals again for this car. His car specifically has a racing past either way, but we are just not sure if it was a primary race car or just the back up. Car has no rust on it whatsoever and he even has the build sheet. Any info would be much appreciated as he wants this resto to be spot on.

It is a white 1991 1LE R7U car. Not just any 1LE, but one built for the Canadian Player's GM Challenge Series. I figured out today that it was never raced as it was a 1991 built after the 1991 season. This was a 1991 car built on October 25, 1991. I find that weird because they should have switched over to producing the 92 Camaros by then. GM owned the car from October 25, 1991 to July 17, 1992 when Dean Myers Chevrolet acquired the car. That was the first dealer for the car as it never left GMs ownership until then. Personally, I think it was a promotional car used on the Canadian Auto Show circuit as it was produced after the 1991 season and sold a month into the 1992 season. This car brings up a lot of questions and we believe it had the roll cage in it as well. It did have the R7U side exhuast as the subframes were clearanced for it but they were switched out.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... some of those ads are awesome.

And I agree Camino, 1LEs are worthy of preservation. Keep them away from Satty.

• 3 weeks later...

Ted, what time period is that GM Motorsport ad from? That white Camaro looks exactly like his 1LE and it was believed to be a GM promo car as we we able to determine it wasn't raced. The car was built late 1991 so if that ad is from late 91/92 that could very well be the car as there were only 32 cars total and a couple promo cars from what I have heard.

Ted, what time period is that GM Motorsport ad from? That white Camaro looks exactly like his 1LE and it was believed to be a GM promo car as we we able to determine it wasn't raced. The car was built late 1991 so if that ad is from late 91/92 that could very well be the car as there were only 32 cars total and a couple promo cars from what I have heard.

Its from July 1990. :iroc-dragster:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, I was wondering whatever happened to this project. Whats the update?

I was doing some archiving, and came across this pic. Remembered about this thread!

Me and my brother (the blonde guy) at the Toronto Exhibition, August 19, 1991!

players91.jpg