Antares show car

Totally agreed. The decision to abandon decades of brand and model equity was a disaster. Should have been Cutlass Supreme and it should have had a coupe companion. Pontiac did it and I still see final-gen GP coupes on the road... people are loyal!

Totally agreed. The decision to abandon decades of brand and model equity was a disaster. Should have been Cutlass Supreme and it should have had a coupe companion. Pontiac did it and I still see final-gen GP coupes on the road... people are loyal!

Or just Old. :P

Too bad the frameless doors, a'la Aurora, were not part of the production model Intrigue.

I was lucky to see this Olds in 1995 at the New York International Auto Show, my first time there. I was treated to the Antares, the Pontiac 300 GPX (Grand Prix), and the Buick XP2000 (Regal, though the show car was Holden based). Those were the good ol' days of car shows!!

Too bad the frameless doors, a'la Aurora, were not part of the production model Intrigue.

I was lucky to see this Olds in 1995 at the New York International Auto Show, my first time there. I was treated to the Antares, the Pontiac 300 GPX (Grand Prix), and the Buick XP2000 (Regal, though the show car was Holden based). Those were the good ol' days of car shows!!

Funny part is we will always think the car shows we attended as kids and younger adults were the good ol days. We just have to consistently adjust our view point. :P

Yeah, but they were better back then if you're a GM fan. I started attending the Philadelphia Auto Show in January, 1990 (15 years old). There was Chevrolet/Geo, GMC Trucks, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Pontiac, and the newly introduced Saturn brands. Geo disappeared, Hummer was added, and then Oldsmobile went away. It was that way up to 2009; for 2010, Saturn, Hummer, and Pontiac were no longer brands sold by GM. Now us GM fans are left with just four brands to see - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC. I could spend all day just in the GM brands areas of these older shows, now a couple of hours are all that is needed. I'm glad to still have a GM to look forward to, but GM's presence is a shadow of it's former self nowadays. I also miss the lavish display areas and stands that the shows used to have; now they're as generic as Toyota's and Honda's displays.

Yeah, but they were better back then if you're a GM fan. I started attending the Philadelphia Auto Show in January, 1990 (15 years old). There was Chevrolet/Geo, GMC Trucks, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Pontiac, and the newly introduced Saturn brands. Geo disappeared, Hummer was added, and then Oldsmobile went away. It was that way up to 2009; for 2010, Saturn, Hummer, and Pontiac were no longer brands sold by GM. Now us GM fans are left with just four brands to see - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC. I could spend all day just in the GM brands areas of these older shows, now a couple of hours are all that is needed. I'm glad to still have a GM to look forward to, but GM's presence is a shadow of it's former self nowadays. I also miss the lavish display areas and stands that the shows used to have; now they're as generic as Toyota's and Honda's displays.

I can understand where you are coming from. Seattle has never been a product launch, flashy car show so the shows were generic for every auto maker and the real show to go too was the HotRod shows every year. With that said, the HotRod shows have changed into two new shows for Seattle. The Tuner show of cars and a few trucks and the Bad Ass 4x4 truck / SUV show. There is a smaller more local show of slamed bouncy cars and trucks but every year that show seems to have fights with gangs and shootings so I just stay away.

In regards to the Auto Show, I am hoping that the flash and excitement will get built back into it by having resources focused on just 4 brands. I always thought the 90's while it had allot of auto makers, really was also allot of waste. Quality was low, to many thrown together recyclable attitude auto's. Starting with last year, I am seeing a far bigger quality and variety on the cars, trucks and SUV's and you can spend a full day at the GM area just comparing the various auto's and their options.

Not sure about else where, but for the trucks and SUV's last year they had at least 1 version in every trim so you could see the levels and then talk with a rep about the variable options within that trim level. It allowed for a nice showing experience. They can never have everything, but at least having the various levels of trim in the same Yukon or Sierra line of auto's gave one a better feel for what they would be looking for.

I see as they gain in profit's better and better auto shows as they are not so stretched out over way to many product lines.

I get what you're saying, dfelt. The early '90s Philly Auto Show had glitz, I guess by the late '90s they went to a generic set-up. The NYIAS that I started attending in 1995 had the real glitz. Raised displays, two-tier viewing areas, fancy walk-on platforms to view concept cars... you could see the money was going into the show side of marketing. By 2008/2009, many cars were on a separate turn table but the two-tier, raiser platforms (I'm speaking of GM here) were gone. The plus side to this was that show cars and trucks were now closer to the viewing audience, but the waterfall effects, large screen displays, and WOW! factors were gone.

However, GM has definitely made a comeback at the NYIAS with the new separation from the other show in the North Pavilion. Brand specific displays and style are definitely making a comeback. It's nice to be a GM fan again!