Drew Dowdell

Cadillac SuperCruise Adds Miles

...another 70,000 miles of roadways are now SuperCruise capable...

Cadillac SuperCruise will be available on over 200,000 miles of North American roadways later this year.  Cadillac is adding an additional 70,000 miles to the existing 130,000 miles already in the system by the 4th quarter 2019.  Cadillac owners will receive an over-the-air update once the system upgrade is completed.

On top of the increase in SuperCruise map availability, Cadillac will also make system adjustments to improve performance and enhancements to the Driver Attention system.   Last year Cadillac updated the system so that the car would automatically adjust lane centering if a large vehicle was passing close by and also added additional messages in the driver cluster to give more detail as to why SuperCruise may not be available at the moment.

Cadillac says that CT6 owners have driven more than 2.5 million miles with SuperCruise active since it was introduced on 2018 model year vehicles.

Cadillac-SuperCruise-DividedHighwaysMap.jpg

Source: Cadillac Media
    Images: Cadillac

That is very cool and I am excited to see them add more and more highways to it. I wonder how long before they go and add Mexico? 🤔

ccap41

Posted (edited)

I'd love to pilot a vehicle with one of these advanced systems. I'd just like to see what they're like.

Edited by ccap41

BTW, I LOVE supercruise.  I wish I had the budget for a Cadillac with Supercruise.  It is the killer app for me in a car and would make me overlook some of the styling issues I've seen lately.

Considering how many miles I put on my Escalade yearly all road trip miles, I would love this feature. I hope they roll it out on the next generation. I see no reason not too.

Drew, is there a timeline when the whole Cadillac family gets Supercruise?

Drew, is there a timeline when the whole Cadillac family gets Supercruise?

All new Cadillacs will have it as an option.  The XT4 will get is and I would expect the XT5 to get it at its next refresh.

Now that is good news.  Sounds like Cadillac will have a unique selling point for the first time in decades.  Now if only we can get luxury buyers to ditch Lexus and the Germans . . . . .

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

What about the XT7?

The XT6 has not been released yet.  It probably will have SupperCruise sometime soon, as will the (currently nonexistent) XT7.

14 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Correct, XT6. i thought I originally read it would not have SuperCruise..

Correct, XT6. i thought I originally read it would not have SuperCruise..

That may be the case since is it based on a pre-supercruise platform.  If so, then the XT5 may not get it either.

However, I do remember Cadillac saying that the entire lineup would have SC available sometime in the very near future. I want to say MY 2021 or something (which would be the correct timing for the new Escalade)

Maybe because this is a preexisting platform by 2021 there will be a heavy refresh or new one on deck already..?

If Super Cruise is not on the XT6, that would be a mistake for Cadillac.

The only reason I remember this is because I remember thinking it was ridiculous that their new, large,CUV, that is supposed to compete with the big BMW and Merc, didn't have their latest and greatest technology. I remember specifically being disappointed in its lack of SuperCruise.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Cadillac's XT5 is getting a refresh for 2020 that brings it into alignment with the looks of the rest of the brand like the recently introduced CT4 and CT5.
      The base trim for XT5 is the Luxury model. From there, Cadillac uses a "Y" strategy and splits the upper trims into Sport and Premium Luxury. Either can also be equipped with a Platinum package for the best technology and interior available in XT5.  Premium Luxury puts an emphasis on brighter trims while the Sport takes a darker, more aggressive stance.
      Luxury and Premium Luxury are tuned more towards the soft side while Sport models get a more performance tuned chassis and quicker steering control. The Sport model gets a standard dual-clutch AWD system, Active Yaw control, and Continuous Damping Control adaptive suspension.  LED headlamps with IntelliBeam are now standard on all models.
      Inside, the XT5 gets the latest version of Cadillac CUE (which they are no longer calling CUE), with more connectivity and personalization. This can be controlled either by touch or by a rotary controller in the center console.  Drivers can easily pair their phone using NFC technology.  Two new high-def instrument cluster options are now available.
      Under the hood, a new base engine takes up residence.  The 2.0T with 237 hp and 259 lb-ft of torque that are in the XT4 and CT4 is now mated to a nine-speed automatic. The 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower is still available, now also upgraded to the 9-speed auto.  Both engines have active fuel management and automatic start/stop to boost efficiency.
      XT5s with the 2.0T will have a new electronic braking control system that replaces the conventional vacuum assisted power brakes.  A compact electric motor replaces the traditional vacuum booster to reduce parasitic engine drag.
      The 2020 Cadillac XT5 will arrive later this summer.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The 2020 Cadillac XT5 will arrive later this summer.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Cadillac's newest V-series, the CT4-V and CT5-V, disappointed fans when they debuted on May 30th by being substantially less powerful than their predecessors. The CT4-V gets a 2.7-liter turbo four cylinder producing 320 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, that's a 130 horsepower deficit compared to the ATS-V.   The story for the CT5-V is similar with a 3.0-liter twin-turbo making 355 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque compared to the 640 horsepower of the CTS-V.  GM President Mark Reuss called the previous cars "hammer" and that they intimidated customers. Thus, Cadillac responded by extending the V-series badge down to be more accessible to more customers.
      Cadillac fans wouldn't have it, and Cadillac was quick to respond saying that more powerful versions of the CT4-V and CT5-V would be on the way, even bringing out higher potency test cars for the Detroit Grand Prix. The CT5-V was rumored to be running with the Blackwing V8, and that car getting the 4.2 Twin-Turbo V8 is not a new rumor.
      The controversy comes down to what to call the higher powered models when they do arrive. Some fans felt that the models already shown should be V-Sports and the more powerful versions get the V moniker. However, it seems that Cadillac has settled on Blackwing as the name for the high power versions of their V-series, and that name may not be limited to just models with the Blackwing V8, making Blackwing more of a sub-brand for Cadillac like Denali is for GMC.
      What do you think? Is Blackwing a good name for the true high-performance versions of the V-series cars?

• By Drew Dowdell

• I saw a Canyon lowered just enough (a little over 2 inches) and it looked pretty good. That truck reminded me of the old S-10/Sonoma sport package back in the late 90s/early 00s. I figure with better hanging and a nice set of wheels- it would be a very sharp truck. I really think there are a lot of folks out there that still want a truck but will never take it off road, but still want some fun too..... 🙂
    • Wife's Malibu has a rear view camera- neither of us use it.  Son's Sonic (he's 22) has a B-U camera, he doesn't use it. It would be quite useful for backing up to a trailer, but other than that I don't find them particularly beneficial. - - - - -
    • I really like having the backup camera w/ my Jeep...thick pillars and small side and rear windows make backing out of parking spaces challenging..
    • Must've been tough being King ~
    • Oh stop it drama queen. There was a conservation about the subject you hate prior to your interjection. What qualifies as a “random thought” anyway? I see the same things talked about on this thread all the time and no one has had a problem with it (unless is politics which gets shut down for obvious reasons). Want to solve YOUR problem about seeing anything to do with dfelts preferred subject matter? Add him to your “ignore” list and POOOF! Problem solved and you can stop acting like a baby about it. Again if his were about anything else you didn’t hate, you wouldn’t have a problem with it.

1. SSConceptz