The Ford SVT Raptor currently rules the roost when it comes to off-road trucks. But it seems no one wants to take it head on. Instead, a number of truck manufacturers are introducing models with some modest upgrades to tackle the trail - Ram 1500 Rebel and Toyota TRD Pro. GMC is the latest automaker to join the latter group with the 2016 Sierra All Terrain X.
Unlike the Rebel and TRD Pro, the All Terrain X isn't a separate model. Instead, it's a set of packages available on the Sierra 1500 Crew Cab equipped with four-wheel drive. It begins by equipping the truck with the All Terrain package that includes the Z71 off-road package with Rancho shocks, an Eaton rear-locking differential, hill descent control, skid plate for the transfer case, and a bed liner.
From there, you can option the All Terrain X package that adds a set of Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Mud-Terrain tires wearing 18-inch aluminum wheels, bed mounted bar to support off-road lights, LED headlights, and a new sports exhaust boosting power of 5.3L V8 from 355 to 365 horsepower. It should be noted that you can only equip the X package if the Sierra is a SLT short box crew cab.
“Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that with a more aggressive, personalized appearance that complements its exceptional capability. It joins other models such as the new Sierra Elevation and premium Sierra Denali to offers more choices for finding the premium truck that matches customers’ style and capability needs,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing.
You'll be able to pick up a Sierra All Terrain X at your local GMC dealer later this spring.
Press Release is on Page 2
GMC Announces Sierra All Terrain X
GMC today announced the 2016 Sierra All Terrain X – a special edition of the All Terrain model, featuring exclusive premium content that enhances off-road capability and an aggressive, monochromatic appearance.
The All Terrain X’s powerful attitude reflects a popular personalization trend among off-road enthusiasts, executed with the top-range refinement GMC has cultivated for years with models such as the Sierra Denali. Its premium package of monochromatic exterior trim and special equipment offers a customized appearance in a limited-edition model, complemented with GMC’s latest technologies.
The Sierra All Terrain package blends capability with unique style to make a statement on or off road. Highlights include:
- 4WD with Eaton locking rear differential
- Z71 Off-Road suspension package with Rancho monotube shocks, high-capacity air cleaner, Hill Descent Control and underbody transfer case shield
- Rear Park Assist
- Unique grille with body-color surround and tinted chrome accents; body-color front and rear bumpers (rear bumper with corner steps)
- Spray-on bedliner
- All-Terrain-logo instrument cluster
- Inclinometer in the driver information center.
The new Sierra All Terrain X is offered on the 2016 Sierra 1500 4WD crew cab/short box models with SLT trim. In addition to the standard All Terrain content, the “X” package includes:
- 265/65R18SL Mud-Terrain-rated Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac MT tires, designed for off-road competence in dirt, gravel and mud, with on-road composure in dry, wet and wintry conditions
- 18 x 8.5-inch black aluminum wheels
- Sport side steps (black)
- Bed-mounted sport bar (black) designed to support the accessory off-road LED lighting package
- High-performance LED headlamps
- Performance exhaust system, which bumps output of the 5.3L V-8 engine to 365 horsepower and adds an aggressive note
- Body-color door handles and body-side moldings
- Black exterior mirrors, belt moldings and B-pillars
- Interior floor liners
- Available colors: Onyx Black, Summit White, Stone Blue Metallic, Iridium Metallic, Crimson Red Tintcoat, Light Steel Gray Metallic.
“Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that with a more aggressive, personalized appearance that complements its exceptional capability,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “It joins other models such as the new Sierra Elevation and premium Sierra Denali to offers more choices for finding the premium truck that matches customers’ style and capability needs.”