• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Saab To Live Again As A Electric Car Maker


    William Maley

    William Maley

    Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

    June 13, 2012

    Despite the heavy odds against it, Saab will rise up once more.

    Today, Saab’s bankruptcy administrators, Anne-Marie Pouteaux and Hans L. Bergqvist, announced that National Electric Vehicle Sweden AB has agreed to purchase a majority of Saab. National Electric Vehicle Sweden AB is a consortium made up by Hong Kong-based National Modern Energy Holdings Ltd. and the Japanese investment group Sun Investment LLC.

    The deal includes a production facility, Saab Tools, test facilities, Saab Powertrain, and the 9-3 architecture. Not included intellectual property rights to the 9-4x or 9-5 and Saab Parts. Neither one of the parties would reveal the purchase price.

    At a news conference earlier this morning in Trollhattan, NEVS chief Karl Johan Jiang revealed the that the consortium will use the Saab name. Also, NEVS said their first vehicle would be based on the current Saab 9-3 with Japanese technology and come out sometime in late 2013 or 2014. The vehicle will be built in Trollhattan.

    Source: The New York Times, SaabsUnited

    0


      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Why do I see this as the GOV wasting money there to try and save union jobs on a dead product line.

    Electrical plug in SAAB will not save this company. I guess they feel with the down eruo economy, it was probably pennies on the dollar to pick up the pieces and give it a try. At least then when it fails they can say we tried one last time.

    I truly believe CNG is a better focus than Electrical at this time.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So they got old Epsilon 1 out of the deal to make electric cars but not Epsilon 2 nor Theta.

    Good luck with that...

    ... but what of the Phoenix platform?

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    ... but what of the Phoenix platform?

    That will be their second car.

    First product for Saab will be a developed 9-3 Electric Car. The 2nd will be a new generation 9-3 built upon the phoenix platform combined with cutting-edge Japanese technology.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    and so many want to aspire to be like Sweden, Norway etc.

    The 9-3 is ancient! good car, maybe there will be a plug in BLS sedan!!!

    Yeah this reeks of govt propping up to save jobs....lol but how is this different than here?

    at least it keeps the brand............

    sucks ass that the 9-5 is not continuing..... I test drove one and really loved it.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    Loading...



  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. siegen
      siegen
      (32 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      One of the groups that haven't been able to take any legal action against General Motors over the faulty ignition switch were those who bought the affected vehicles before the company announced bankruptcy in 2009. Last year, a bankruptcy judge said that New GM was shielded from liabiliites over the actions taken by Old GM.
       
      But today, the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan reversed that decision. In the ruling, the court stated that New GM must face some of the claims from owners that arose from their actions before their bankruptcy.
       
      “We are reviewing the ruling and its impact. Even if some claims are ultimately allowed to proceed, the plaintiffs must still prove their cases," said GM spokesman Jim Cain in an email to the Wall Street Journal.
       
      This decision could expose GM to additional costs as it tries to move away from this mess. According to the ruling, the protection given to GM shielded them from up to $10 billion of liability claims.
       
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      General Motors today announced another set of recalls that covers over 500,000 vehicles,
      The first and largest recall is for the Chevrolet Camaro from the 2010-2014 model year due to the key fob being accidentally hit by a driver's knee and causing the key to move out of the move position. GM says this isn't a problem with the ignition switch, but with the key fob itself. GM also said that it is aware of three accidents where the key fob was the problem.
      A total of 511,508 Camaros worldwide will get a separate ignition key and fob to fix this problem. Dealers have been told to stop selling Camaros for the timebeing.
      The other recalls issued by GM include:
      28,789 Saab 9-3 Convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for a cable in the driver's side seat belt tensioner that could break, causing the seat belt not to retract. Dealers will replace the tensioner, while GM will issue a lifetime warranty on the passenger side tensioner. 21,567 Chevrolet Sonics from the 2012 model year equipped with the 1.8L four-cylinder and six-speed automatic transmission. A transmission shaft can fail, causing a transmission problems, some of which could be sudden. Dealers will install a new shaft. 14,765 Buick LaCrosses from the 2014 model year for a wiring splice in the driver’s door may corrode and break, allowing someone to operate the power windows and sunroof when key is no where near the vehicle. Dealers will inspect the wiring harness and if need be, replace the splice. Source: General MotorsPress Release is on Page 2

      Page 1 of 2 1 2 → Last » Click here to view the article
    • By William Maley
      General Motors today announced another set of recalls that covers over 500,000 vehicles,
      The first and largest recall is for the Chevrolet Camaro from the 2010-2014 model year due to the key fob being accidentally hit by a driver's knee and causing the key to move out of the move position. GM says this isn't a problem with the ignition switch, but with the key fob itself. GM also said that it is aware of three accidents where the key fob was the problem.
      A total of 511,508 Camaros worldwide will get a separate ignition key and fob to fix this problem. Dealers have been told to stop selling Camaros for the timebeing.
      The other recalls issued by GM include:
      28,789 Saab 9-3 Convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for a cable in the driver's side seat belt tensioner that could break, causing the seat belt not to retract. Dealers will replace the tensioner, while GM will issue a lifetime warranty on the passenger side tensioner.
      21,567 Chevrolet Sonics from the 2012 model year equipped with the 1.8L four-cylinder and six-speed automatic transmission. A transmission shaft can fail, causing a transmission problems, some of which could be sudden. Dealers will install a new shaft.
      14,765 Buick LaCrosses from the 2014 model year for a wiring splice in the driver’s door may corrode and break, allowing someone to operate the power windows and sunroof when key is no where near the vehicle. Dealers will inspect the wiring harness and if need be, replace the splice.

      Source: General Motors
      Press Release is on Page 2
      GM Proactively Announces Four New Recalls
      DETROIT – General Motors will recall all current generation Chevrolet Camaros because a driver’s knee can bump the key FOB and cause the key to inadvertently move out of the “run” position, with a corresponding reduction or loss of power.
      The issue, which may primarily affect drivers sitting close to the steering column, was discovered by GM during internal testing following the ignition switch recall earlier this year.
      “Discovering and acting on this issue quickly is an example of the new norm for product safety at GM,” said Jeff Boyer, vice president of GM Global Safety.
      The Camaro ignition system meets all GM engineering specifications and is unrelated to the ignition system used in Chevrolet Cobalts and other small cars included in the ignition switch recall.
      GM is aware of three crashes that resulted in four minor injuries that it believes may be attributed to this condition.
      The company will change the Camaro key to a standard design from one in which the key is concealed in the FOB and is opened by pushing a button. The change will make the ignition key and FOB independent of each other, so that inadvertent contact with the FOB won’t move the key from the “run” position. There are 464,712 Camaros from the 2010-2014 model years in the U.S. included in the recall. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 511,528.
      Separately, GM also announced two safety recalls and one non-compliance recall involving a total of 65,121 cars in the U.S. all three of which were reported to the NHTSA on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 69,839.
      In all cases, customers will receive letters from GM letting them know when they can bring their vehicles into a dealership, where the recall repairs will be performed free of charge and courtesy transportation would be provided as needed.
      The recalls:
      28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.
      21,567 Chevrolet Sonic 2012 model year compacts equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission and a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine for a condition in which the transmission turbine shaft may fracture as a result of a supplier quality issue. If this were to occur in first or second gear, the vehicle could not upshift into third through sixth gears. If the turbine shift fractured while in one of the higher gears, the vehicle would coast until it was moving slow enough to downshift into first or second gear. In both instances, a malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate. If driven in this condition for a long period of time, all forward gears may become inoperable. The engine would continue to run and all power accessories would function. Dealers will replace the transmission turbine shaft. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.
      14,765 model year 2014 Buick LaCrosse sedans because a wiring splice in the driver’s door may corrode and break. That may communicate incorrect information to circuits that control the door chime and allow passenger windows, rear windows and the sunroof to function when the vehicle is turned off and the driver is not in the vehicle. In addition, a chime will not sound when the driver’s door is opened if the key is in the ignition.
      Dealers will inspect the driver door window motor harness and, if necessary, replace an electrical splice. GM is unaware of any thefts, crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.
    • By William Maley
      William Maley
      Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com
      November 25, 2013
      The Department of Energy (DOE) announced on Friday that it had found a buyer for dormant automaker, Fisker. The buyer is Hybrid Tech Holdings, LLC, a company founded by Richard Li, one of the people who was interested in buying Fisker. So how much did Hybrid Tech pay for the assets of Fisker? Reports say around $25 million, which means the DOE lost around $139 million in its investment into Fisker.
      To keep the transfer process smooth and make sure Fisker's creditors and suppliers get paid, the company has filled for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in a California court.
      "After having evaluated and pursued all other alternatives, we believe the sale to Hybrid and the related Chapter 11 process is the best alternative for maximizing Fisker Automotive's value for the benefit of all stakeholders. We believe that the Fisker Automotive technology and product development capability will remain a guiding force in the evolution of the automotive industry under Hybrid's leadership," said Marc Beilinson, Fisker Automotive's Chief Restructuring Officer in a statement.
      What does Hybrid Tech have in mind for Fisker? The company plans to restart production and sales of the Karma sedan, and work on developing new vehicles.
      "As we continue to examine Fisker's opportunities, we will be making decisions about the structure and footprint of the new business," said Caroline Langdale, a spokeswoman for Hybrid Technology.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Fisker
      William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.comor you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.
      Press Release is on Page 2
      Fisker Automotive Announces Agreement for Asset Sale to Hybrid Tech Holdings
      ANAHEIM HILLS, Calif., Nov. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fisker Automotive, Inc. and Fisker Automotive Holdings, Inc. (collectively, Fisker Automotive) announced today that they have entered into an asset purchase agreement with Hybrid Tech Holdings, LLC (Hybrid) for the sale of substantially all of its assets.
      Hybrid is the lender under an approximately $170 million loan secured by first liens on substantially all of Fisker Automotive's assets. Hybrid's parent, Hybrid Technology, LLC (Hybrid Technology), purchased the loan from the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE) after DoE conducted a robust marketing process and auction.
      To facilitate the sale process and provide for orderly distributions to creditors, Fisker Automotive has voluntarily filed petitions under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. Hybrid Technology has committed up to approximately $8 million in debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing to fund the sale and Chapter 11 process.
      "After having evaluated and pursued all other alternatives, we believe the sale to Hybrid and the related Chapter 11 process is the best alternative for maximizing Fisker Automotive's value for the benefit of all stakeholders," said Marc Beilinson, Fisker Automotive's Chief Restructuring Officer. "We believe that the Fisker Automotive technology and product development capability will remain a guiding force in the evolution of the automotive industry under Hybrid's leadership."
    • By Drew Dowdell
      October 10, 2013
      Drew Dowdell
      Managing Editor - CheersandGears.com
      It is October 10th, a bit too early for Halloween, and yet here is a zombie starting to show signs of being undead. National Electric Vehicles Sweden (NEVS) has confirmed that they have most of the agreements in place with parts suppliers to restart production of the 9-3 in Trollhättan, Sweden within a few months. NEVS is focusing primarily on suppliers in or close to Sweden to allow for shorter lead times, lower cost, and to bring greater benefit to the local economy.
      NEVS Purchasing Manager, Per Svantesson says, "We have 400 supplier agreements in place with only a few dozen left to complete in the next six to eight weeks." Production is set to start before the end of 2013.
      NEVS has recently completed 15 pre-production SAAB 9-3s as test run of the Trollhättan assembly line.
      In spite of the "Electric" in the name, these initial cars still have traditional gasoline engines. The exact engine has not been specified, but it is unlikely to be the familiar GM based Ecotec units found in earlier SAAB 9-3s. NEVS plans to add an electric model 9-3 later next year. Following that will be a launch of an all new car built on the still-born SAAB PhoeniX platform.
      Those of you in the U.S. can put your checkbooks away however, NEVS initial marketing push will be in China.
      Happy early Halloween, Zombie lovers!
      Source: Radio P4West (in Swedish) via SaabsUnited
      Also Via SaabsUnited.com - The first pre-production Saab 9-3 rolling off the production line.

      Drew Dowdell is Managing Editor of CheersandGears.com and can be reached at Drew.Dowdell@CheersandGears.com or on Twitter as @cheersngears
      Click here to view the article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)