David

All New Toyota Tundra 2022 Model Ditches V8 for V6 and Hybrid

People have joked about how old the Toyota Tundra truck is compared to other trucks. Today September 19th 2021, Toyota introduced the all new 2022 Tundra. Check out the goods on this truck!

Toyota has decided "Born From Invincible" is the new marketing message for the all new Toyota Tundra 2022!

From the African Savanna to the Australian Outback or the asphalt of NASCAR, Toyota Trucks has taken people places for over 70 years. The global debut of the All-New 2022 Tundra builds on what Toyota brought to the world starting in 1950 with the first Land Cruiser building on the unique heritage to take Toyota into an even more exciting future per their press release.

To quote their Invincible press release:

“Born from Invincible” showcases an unparalleled international truck history in a wild ride down memory lane. Toyota’s rich history of building world-class body-on-frame vehicles is highlighted in an action-packed montage that culminates with the global debut of the star of the show, the all-new 2022 Toyota Tundra. In addition to the next-generation Tundra, Toyota trucks featured in the spot include: the 1987 4Runner SR5, 1960s Australian Troopy FJ45, 2007 FJ Cruiser, 2017 Tundra SR5, 2012 Tundra Platinum, 2021 NASCAR Trucks, 1985 Tacoma SR5, 1991 Australian FJ75 and Baja Truck. Keen viewers might even catch a glimpse of a 1980s icon that took us back to the future. For a deeper dive into Toyota’s truck history, click here.

Toyota starts the All-New 2022 Tundra with the following bullet points:

• Standard i-FORCE 3.5L Twin-Turbo V6 produces 389 HP / 479 lb-ft of torque
    • Available i-FORCE MAX Hybrid V6 producing 437 HP / 583 lb-ft of torque
    • Both engine options mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission
    • 12,000-pound maximum towing capacity
    • 1,940-pounds payload capacity
    • Bold Exterior style complementing spacious, well-equipped interior
    • Available 14" touchscreen with all-new Audio Multimedia system
    • 12.3" and 8" Instrumentation panel display available
    • Toyota Safety Sense 2.5 active safety standard on all grades.

As the third generation Tundra, Toyota is looking to improve upon everything, from performance, capability, multimedia, comfort and more.

Toyota will offer two different four-door layouts and have three bed lengths, 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and an 8.1 foot bed length. The all-new Toyota Tundra pickup truck starts with a high-strength steel chassis to increase rigidity over previous generations. Frame crossmembers are double the size of previous generations adding reinforcement and rigidity and yet Toyota has introduced aluminum in key areas to reduce overall weight. Engineering designs have moved forward to give enhanced handling dynamics on steering input for for the driver by constructing the front cross brace also hold the steering gear box. The truck beds are built of extremely strong SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) construction using aluminum. The over all double wall construction of the bed and gate reduce weight by 20% over the outgoing model while protecting the outside of the truck from impact dings, rust, etc. from material put into the bed. Standard on all models is that the tailgate release is built into the key fob.

Storage is enhanced via cabin storage under the back seat.

Toyota has also continued the all-new changes as they have complimented the all-new chassis with an all-new multi-link suspension, ditching leaf springs in favor of coil springs.

Toyota has left no area untouched as they built a new double-wishbone front suspension, enhanced twin-tube shocks front and rear with triple -oil seals and extended dust covers for added durability and protection. TRD packages get Monotube Bilstein shocks. TRD Pro get FOX internal bypass shocks as standard. So many details in the suspension that if you are interested in these details, click the link below for the Press release.

Toyota is retiring their V8 engine as they go with a Twin Turbo V6 or Twin Turbo V6 Hybrid engine. These are Dual overhead cam, chain driven motors featuring Dual VVTi systems. The twin turbo system is water-cooled. This same cooling system is used to cool the exhaust to lower exhaust gas entering the turbo chargers to improve reliability and performance.

Both motors are mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission with intelligence (ECTi). This transmission will feature sequential shift mode to optimize uphill and downhill shifting and yet also having a special programmed TOW/HAUL mode. Two TOW/HAUL modes are given with the first one programmed for small trailers, boats, etc. Second TOW/HAUL mode is for towing large trailers such as RVs, Large 5th wheel box trailers and larger boats. When in the TOW/HAUL mode, start/stop is disabled.

Toyota has multiple interiors depending on if you have the TRD Pro, TRD, Limited, etc. You have three screen size choices, 14", 12.3" and 8" size screens are available with multiple choices in multimedia and audio systems. These systems will come standard with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and the systems will take advantage of over the air software updates.

The A.I. of the systems will allow voice control for human like conversation. Blue tooth connectivity is available for smartphones or tablets and even with the use of the Toyota App you can store User Profiles allowing each user upon entering the auto to have their own profile set for the vehicle. Toyota also will offer WiFi connection of 4G connectivity for up to 10 devices allowing the truck to be an AT&T hot spot.

Be it in 4x4 or 4x2 models, the all new 2022 Tundra offers options aplenty with your choice of Crewcab or Double Cab configurations and available in 11 different colors.

Quote: Super White, Wind Chill Pearl, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Celestial Silver Metallic, Midnight Black Metallic, Super Sonic Red, Army Green, Lunar Rock, Blueprint, Smoked Mesquite (Limited and 1794) and Solar Octane (TRD Pro exclusive).

2022 Toyota Tundra will come with a standard bumper to bumper 36 month / 36,000 mile warranty with the powertrain having a 60 month / 60,000 mile warranty and 24hr roadside assistance for the first two years or 25,000 miles.

More images inside and outside of the 2022 Tundra can be seen here:

While not every detail has been covered here in this writeup from their press release and much more is available for you to read at the links below, this writer does wonder if this truck outside of traditional loyal Toyota owners will be able to increase full size truck sales to get conquest buyers with what is being offered here in this all-new pickup truck.

Absolute Powerhouse: Next-Generation 2022 Toyota Tundra - Toyota USA Newsroom

2022 Toyota Tundra is ‘Born from Invincible’ - Toyota USA Newsroom

Gonna give it one more shot, eh?

Right, 3rd time is the charm compared to how many generations of Ford, GM or RAM trucks? I honestly cannot count how many generations they have been through. After reading through the full press release, I am honestly not surprised they decided to try one more time for the Toyota Loyalists.

I did find it interesting about the chassis, but wonder about some of the incorporated modules of braces with auto parts like the front brace with the steering box integrated into it. Makes me think you take it off road, hit the front brace hard enough to brake something and the steering is gone.

Did they make the lettering on the front and dash big enough?   The dash is very busy.

8 hours ago, David said:

For off road, I’d assume there would be skid plates to cover delicate parts.

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

For off road, I’d assume there would be skid plates to cover delicate parts.

Yes, in the Photo Album I have listed in the story, you can see the skid plates in some of the photo's, all part of their TRD Protection package. Was just way too much info to cover from the dual press releases on this launch.

It’s about time they redesigned the Tundra, hopefully they don’t wait 15 years to do it again.

This truck looks very competitive, lot of power, especially the hybrid, engine a and transmission combo looks strong.  The different trims and off road stuff looks good.

I think what is missing is a super cab version and a cheaper engine option, perhaps the regular corporate 3.5 V6 with 306 hp.  If your base truck starts on par with a quad cab Ecoboost 3.5 F150, I feel like you are missing an entry level model.

I would agree that they seem to be missing some of the traditional spaces in the Full Size Truck Lineup. I have to wonder if they really want to take market share or just to keep the roughly 100,000 truck sales going each year.

I am also surprised that they did not make a beefy version of the Hybrid system on the Prius line and instead went with a Hybrid system for performance and not really seems to gain MPG.

Will be interesting to see how this goes and if they make any gains versus all the BEV Trucks that are coming. I can see Toyota missing out on this since they are Missing in Action on the BEV front.

🤔 Maybe they are lost in the Hydrogen waste land?

The Tundra’s engines are pretty inline with the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost and Hybrid F150, but even the base Tundra engine puts out more torque than the Ram 5.7 Hemi or the Silverado 6.2 V8 and those are upgrade engines.  Toyota could and should do an NA V6 base level to compete with the Ram V6, the Silverado and Ford 2.7 liter engines.

I think Toyota is looking for more than 100k sales, Toyota has beat Detroit in every market segment except full size pickup truck (and full size van which they don’t even make).  I am not saying Toyota is looking for a sales crown but you have to think they want 200k units a year out of the Tundra.

Why buy a “copy”, right, smk?
    Toyoter should just stick to their niche in the big pickup segment; lame, underpowered & uncompetitive afterthought trucks.

That’s what they’re known for, after all.

Why buy a “copy”, right, smk?

That’s what they’re known for, after all.

Worldwide and in the USA, Toyota is the mid-size truck champion.  I don't see why they can't take on the full size segment.   Toyota knows reliability, they know resale value, they know how to build quality.  Their problem is leaving Tundras on market for 15 years without much improvement, and not having a lot of powertrain options or configurations.  I made a mistake before, I thought it was only crew cab, there is a double cab option like they have now, 3 bed lengths might be better than the current truck, and there are 6 trim levels.  So it seems like finally they have a variety of configurations they need.

Price is the question, how much are these going to cost with the turbo V6 as the base engine?  If they price it like a Pentastar V6 or GM 2.7 liter 4, that will deliver a big middle finger to the Detroit trucks, but if the Tundra is priced like a 6.2 V8 Silverado, I think Toyota prices a lot of people out.

So it seems like finally they have a variety of configurations they need.

They have six interior configurations, which is a plus. They have two cabs, two beds, and two engines, same as before though which is where they will continue to fall short when it comes to sales.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

My Friend, you had me confused till I went back and reread the press release.

Double Cab and CrewMax.

Double Cab models will be offered with the choice of a 6.5-foot bed or an 8.1-foot bed.

CrewMax models will be offered with either a 5.5-foot bed or a new 6.5-foot bed.

I'm seeing press info saying there's an 8-ft bed also; for 3 bed lengths. It seems they benchmarked the segment leaders hard, spec-wise.

But it looks VERY 'glued together' from multiple parts from different trucks (inside & out), and I think the whole Transformers look played out over a decade ago. I suspect there's a LOT of corner cutting as usual, for instance; why doesn't the wheel well plastic trim extend down to the most vulnerable areas- at the rockers, to protect the paint?? Weird looking, and poor protection from damage.

Toyoter needed to leapfrog the competition and really shake up the playing field. So far from what I read, they failed to do that.

They also need to make sure they come in well under the established price tiers- that remains to be revealed. If they do, that may buoy sales to some degree. But I don't see this gaining conquest sales to any measurable amount.

It is weird how they have the 3 beds and non are really any standard size especially the 8.1 ft length bed. Talk about weird sizing.

Worst yet is rereading it, I see now that the Crewcab or Crewmax does not get the 8.1ft length bed, only the double cab which is in essence a king cab model.

Some very weird choices as most 8ft beds I see on Crewcab trucks.

17 minutes ago, David said:

My Friend, you had me confused till I went back and reread the press release.

Double Cab and CrewMax.

Sorry if my wording is confusing but basically both of those configurations have been available since 2007. There is no regular cab. This is no base V6 model (work truck models common with the D3). Also, no heavy duty models. While the 2022 is a nice step for them, it changes nothing regarding its place in the pick up world.

37 minutes ago, David said:

most 8ft beds I see on Crewcab trucks

Not on 1/2-tons, not from GM or Ford (didn't check Ram).
    I think you're only seeing this on 3/4- & 1-tonners.

22 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

100%.

41 minutes ago, David said:

Some very weird choices as most 8ft beds I see on Crewcab trucks.

I think double cab in Toyota speak is the extended or super cab, so it is like a half door in back, thus you can get the longer bed.  A Crew cab and an 8 foot bed would be a super long vehicle, I think most domestic trucks in that configuration are the 2500/3500 type trucks.  Ford doesn't make an F150 crew cab with an 8 foot bed for example.

25 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I could see 2 door regular cab being a real small seller, so maybe that is why they didn't do it.  They probably looked at the percentage of Ford, Ram, GM trucks are are regular cab and didn't see enough volume.  They do have a base/SR trim, I guess that is like their work truck.

I agree on a low price engine option, either the corporate V6, or a 4 cylinder hybrid, some sort of value option.  Unless they plan to start the Tundra under $35k and get aggressive on pricing, because if their 479 lb-ft engine is priced like a 290 lb-ft V6s from Ford and Ram, then the Tundra is going to make an impact.

Toyota's interior and exterior styling just does not do it for me.   At least when they first showed the Silverado LD my initial thought was that it was quite ungainly but that the styling might grow on me (it did).  This is more like when they first showed the Silverado HD and my initial thought was "that is ugly and I can't imagine it ever growing on me."  I still think it's ugly and it has been out for a couple of years and I think the same thing is going to happen here.

It is like after years of doing boring vanilla Toyota decided to be stylish and some how mistook ugly for stylish.  It started when the grilles on all their products started to get big.  What is even going on with that tailgate area?  Why is the interior so busy?  The exterior might look okay in dark colors without the chrome horseshoe mustache on the grille but otherwise 🤮

That grille reminds me of this:

hulk-hogan.jpg?quality=86&strip=all

Not on 1/2-tons, not from GM or Ford (didn't check Ram).
    I think you're only seeing this on 3/4- & 1-tonners.

100%.

Thank you for pointing that out, with the lite rail construction so busy going on, there is a ton of trucks with 8ft beds around my area and I honestly have not bothered looking at the weight class as I see so many crew cabs with 8ft beds being used by Skanska construction on this massive job across 3 counties here. Makes sense that they are 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with single wheel in back.

Just checked and did not realize how big Skanska is as an international company and so many new GM white trucks in this area for the lite rail project.

Cool to see the live web cams on this project.

Mountlake Terrace where I live. TrueLook - SKANSKA | LYNNWOOD LINK EXTENSION L300 #1

Lynnwood where I used to catch the bus before becoming a permanent work from home person.

TrueLook - SKANSKA | LYNNWOOD LINK EXTENSION L300 #3

Lynnwood Link Extension | Project map and summary | Sound Transit

The picture gallery shows that Ford and GM won big time on all the trucks that Skanska has in use for this mega project.

The Platform - Fresh pics | Sound Transit

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

No. They ignored the commercial market, where most regular can sales take place. Just saying that they offer no more options as a pick up than they did in 2007 (their last major redesign). They actually have one less engine than they offered in 2007 and one less cab as well (they did sell a regular cab model until the last refresh in 2014). Again, nice update for them but no real inroads made here. Just a fact.

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Seeing as how you like to bring up Toyota domination with the Tacoma, it should be noted that they have always had a regular cab model for it. It makes no sense to exclude the Tundra unless it’s because of their refusal to expand into the work truck market.

11 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I wanted to be sure and so went back and read the press release again and they are very clear that this 2022 Tundra is to be their Global Truck replacing all other full size trucks. I then went into their press site for the Tacoma and bingo, the 2022 Tacoma is to become a global truck also.

This makes me think Toyota is looking to simplify and reduce costs on their truck line without adding anything and as you pointed out, they have dropped the regular cab which is popular in the commercial segment. Though with that said, I do wonder if they might not offer a regular cab in other markets where they sell much more than here. We have seen this with GM, Ford and Ram where they sell versions not sold here in the U.S.

Either way, Toyota seems to be reducing their product mix with Global Auto's for a less cost  and what becomes a less regional vehicle as they move to just sell a global model everywhere.

🤔 If memory serves me correct, GM did this when they were a true global brand before their big decline.

26 minutes ago, David said:

The platform is where they went right. Say what you want about everything else that is “wrong” with the Tundra, using ANY platform from a Land Cruiser is good thing. It might give them a little edge in the off road game if they better utilized the TRD moniker. Worldwide off road cred there, is all I’m saying.

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I agree that they are using a better platform, but so many decades to get to a boxed High-Strength Steel Frame is sad and I am still not 100% sure I like having critical components built into said frame such as the Steering box they have in the frame cross member.

Hopefully it truly will be better in salty areas.

I do find it interesting that the press release is very clear about this global truck being designed, engineered and of course will be built in the US. Since the truck is designed, engineered and built by US folks, one would have thought they would have been more expansive in the options list to be more competitive with the US brands.

It is also year 1, maybe a 2 door regular cab will follow as they expand to more markets.  Toyota is biggest, richest car company on the planet, they have the resources to do anything they want.  Toyota typically does not like fleet sales though and that is what the commercial market is.

• mid '80s-early '90s cars: '53 Merc 2-dr sedan '59 Star Chief 4-dr sedan '65 Catalina 2-dr sedan '68 Sedan deVille 4-dr hardtop '64 Grand Prix 2-dr hardtop '59 Invicta 2-dr hardtop '67 Malibu 2-dr hardtop '67 Chevelle 2-dr hardtop '65 Corvair 2-dr hardtop '65 Corsa 2-dr hardtop '64 Ford Custom 2-dr sedan '66 Belvidere 2-dr hardtop '63 Galaxie 4-dr hardtop numerous Mustangs '67 Firebird 2-dr hardtop '69 Firebird 2-dr hardtop '67 Coupe deVille '68 deVille convertible '63 Catalina 2-dr hardtop '68 Catalina 2-dr hardtop '69 Cougar 2-dr hardtop '72 Duster 2-dr hardtop '74 Camaro coupe ...off the top of my head
    • I think both in Ohio and S Florida most of the regular 60s and 50s stuff was gone from the roads in the mid 80s (salt). There were a few 60s cars in my high school—maybe a 1/2 dozen, and only 2 from the 50s I remember—a ‘56 Ford pickup street rod and a late 50s MGA.     The ‘60s cars I remember were the twins that had a pair of restored red ‘65 Mustangs—one coupe, one convertible, a rough brown ‘68 Mustang coupe, a rough blue ‘66 Mustang coupe, an orange ‘68 Road Runner, a dark blue ‘68 Charger, a gray ‘65 Coupe de Ville and a well worn ‘68 Comet 2dr.
    • Right; 4-drs were shunned among enthusiasts.... but of course a huge quantity of 2-drs had bench seats. I'm fine with buckets/console in vintage stuff, I just also have no problem with a bench there, too. I briefly considered buckets/console in my '59, decided not to bother. 'Our gang' ran mostly older iron in the mid '80s; mid '60's stuff, with a couple of '50s cars.
    • When I was I high school, 4drs with bench seats weren’t aspirational though.  They were thought of as parent and grandpa cars.  Kids wanted sporty 2dr bucket seat hatchbacks—those were the cars we wanted in the mid 80s.     But I had many friends that got hand-me-down sedans from their folks…I remember a pale green ‘77 LeSabre, a sweet red w/ white top ‘76 Electra Limited 2dr, a dark red ‘81 Delta 88, and a sweet triple silver ‘80 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d’Elegance.  Rode in all of them, often with 6 teenagers...they were comfortable, not cramped.  Also remember a blue '75-78 Marquis 4dr and an early 80s Impala wagon.  I drove my Dad’s ‘85 Town Car to school on occasion before I got my ‘87 Mustang GT.
    • Latest News Solid State Breakthrough, Safe, Long-lasting and Energy-dense! Be it a AA battery size cell or a pouch, the holly grail of battery research is smaller size with denser energy. Recently some major break throughs have happened on the Solid State front that brings Safe, Long-lasting and Energy-dense that can possibly revolutionize the BEV industry. ---> Read More BrightDrop Launches EV410 with Verizon and Sets Record for EV600 Electric Vehicles BrightDrop, General Motors commercial electric auto division launches an all new electric van with Verizon and sets a record for their first announced EV600 van. ---> Read More Creating 11,000 Jobs, Investing $11.4 Billion, FORD to Lead America's Shift to Electric Vehicles A new MEGA Campus in Tennessee and TWIN Battery plants in Kentucky, FORD believes America can grow with new investments in BEVs with a new lineup of advanced EVs. ---> Read More Is Legacy Auto Maker Toyota Days as Number 1 Numbered? In 2008 Toyota Motor Company surpassed GM for the first time in 77 years to become the #1 auto builder. Yet recent pre-sales / sales seems to indicate that time might be limited. ---> Read More 2030 Volvo Aims to be Leather-free Starting with the Electric C40 SUV. Volvo is making an ethical stand for animal welfare as it moves to a fully electric portfolio of auto's. Starting with the C40 Recharge, all new BEVs will be completely leather-free. Tell us what you think! ---> Read More Redwood Materials and Ford Announce Partnership on Batteries! Tesla cofounder JB Straubel's Redwood Materials and Ford have announced a closed-loop on battery production to recycling. ---> Read More Most Powerful, Most Off-Road Capable and Smartest Expedition Ever, 2022 Ford Expedition is Revealed! How does an auto company close out the summer of 2021? By revealing their flagship full size SUV. Check out the new 2022 Ford Expedition! ---> Read More Latest Reviews Quick Drive: 2020 Lexus NX 300h & UX 250h Lexus' Hybrid Theory of Crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Hyundai Venue SEL & Palisade Limited AWD Looking at the smallest and largest Hyundai crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota 4Runner Venture Edition and Land Cruiser Heritage Edition Driving around in Toyota's old school SUVs ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota Prius XLE AWD-e and Corolla Hatchback XSE Can small changes make big changes? ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota Camry TRD & Lexus ES 350 F-Sport From the Mundane to Somewhat Exciting ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters

1. Rainier
      Rainier

• There are no registered users currently online