DTS - the "standard" Cadillac

I have been paying attention to the DTS lately. Not that I would buy one but, looking at the forward progress of its styling, there's a lot to praise.

If you've heard me rant and rave about grilles, you know how much I like a grille that is sporty and is canted rearward. Kudos to Cadillac for a nicely executed sporty grille that is markedly Cadillac and fresh/youthful on their "beacon of the brand" model. I really like it. The roofline isn't bad either. The only part of the car that leaves me a little cold is the rear light assembly. Yes, accolades for the simplicity, but it's almost too simple relative to the front. I could think of a teeny bit more articulation ... thickening the metal deco strip between the taillamps, articulating or kinking the rear bumper as is done up front ... whatever.

Inside, it has a fantastic cabin and, bingo, buckets with a console shift together with more instruments (read temperature gauge).

Now, last night, I'm at SFO changing planes for the last "puddlejump" home and I go into the convenience store. I read the Lucerne review (CR can be jerks...the word coarse has now become overused). Behind it is a stand alone DTS review. It says many nice things, but says the handling is ungainly and braking distances are long. Well, it's not a CTS nor a STS. Just how clumsy is the handling?

Do you like this car? Have you driven one or ridden in one? I think, at last, there is a wonderfully proportioned full-size Cadillac automobile that even a person younger than their typical demographic could get away with driving.

Edited by trinacriabob

My neighbor traded in his Deville for a silver one. I haven't driven one or ridden in one, but I sat in one at the Washington Auto Show, and it had a very nice interior. Lots of leg room in the rear, too.

What I really like about it is the exhaust note-it sounds great.

This is an old-fashioned Cadillac. I've become used to the looks outside. Before it looked like a cheap knock-off of an old Chrysler New Yorker, but there's heritage in the lines. Inside is attractive if unremarkable. But the soft ride and unaggressive "handling" are geared towards old folk or those who want comfort over all else. Anyone expecting control remotely along the lines of a big Benz or BMW will be disappointed.

My father has owned one DeVille from each generation since 1980 (OK...the 1990 was a Fleetwood, but same car). I have driven (and currently drive upon occasion) the 1980 Sedan de Ville (V6), 2000 DHS and 2006 DTS.

I love the 1980 despite its lack of any sporting character whatsoever. The engine is a 6, so its floaty ride and handling is perfectly matched, making this the ideal boulevard cruiser...styling is also an A++. The 2000 DHS is the worst-handling of the 3. The power of the Northstar is there, but the driving dynamics are very poorly suited for the engine. It just is a bad combination of power and handling. The 2006 is a big improvement and is somewhat...dare I say it...sporty! This is with the Performance Package, but still...it is nice. Seats are great, too. Firm and nice bolsters, but comfortable.

I'd say the 2006 is the best Deville ever, excepting of course the awkward styling. The front is the only good angle on this car, as the sides are too plump for the front styling and the rear is unfinished. What would have helped the 2006 immensely is a relocation of the license plate bracket and backup lights to the center of the trunklid. Adding rear fog lamps could have further cleaned up the look.

Interior is fantastic, and the first Deville interior I actually like since well before I was born.

Edited by Croc

The front is the only good angle on this car, as the sides are too plump for the front styling and the rear is unfinished. 

Good eye...good comments. Been hanging around the architects in your frat a little too much? :AH-HA_wink:

Good eye...good comments.  Been hanging around the architects in your frat a little too much? :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks, but I just know it since I stare at it everyday and this design is NOT growing on me at all. I have no idea if any Beta Taus are architects or not...in fact I have no clue what anyone's majors are besides mine and my two best friends within Theta Chi. No clue whatsoever.

I think the DTS is a good start. Cadillac cannot and should not forget its core audience - the old geezers. There is a good reason you see white haired old men driving 1966 Cadillacs still - they like big, heavy American cars.

If I am going to pay $50K+ for a car, I want it to LOOK like I've paid that kind of money. For this reason, Lexus and Acura and others just don't do it for me.

Somewhere, the rags convinced us that big is bad and that all cars should handle like a Porsche. This is BS. This is one of the reasons the Tahoes and Escalades sell - some people like big, heavy "floaty" vehicles.

Of course, Cadilllac needs to battle BMW and Mercedes, but the DTS has room to grow. If anything, it should get bigger. There is no shame in looking like a Cadillac. Cadillac lost its way in the late '80s when it tried to look like a Buick.

I think the DTS is very nice.

It's interior materials are amazing...

But-

The soft, velvet/cloth/felt-like (whatever) material that covers the B- and C-pillars felt like it wasn't really attached to anything, just loose, and brarely hanging on.

I was dismayed by this aspect of the car.

This car has presence on the street. The refresh was measured perfectly. I really like the sharpened lines. Yesterday I rode parallel to one in the city for a few blocks... black with chrome wheels. She's still a stunner. Driving one of these with Sport Package would most assuredly not be a chore.

The sad fact is most cars of this ilk have become victim of auto 'journalist's BMWitis where everything regardless of its size, intention, or design needs to have European handling. As I've said multiple times, I've driven a few BMWs, ridden in alot of them, and I prefer a real boulevardier any day of the week.

I think the DTS is a good start.  Cadillac cannot and should not forget its core audience - the old geezers.  There is a good reason you see white haired old men driving 1966 Cadillacs still - they like big, heavy American cars.

If I am going to pay $50K+ for a car, I want it to LOOK like I've paid that kind of money.  For this reason, Lexus and Acura and others just don't do it for me.

Somewhere, the rags convinced us that big is bad and that all cars should handle like a Porsche.  This is BS.  This is one of the reasons the Tahoes and Escalades sell - some people like big, heavy "floaty" vehicles.

Of course, Cadilllac needs to battle BMW and Mercedes, but the DTS has room to grow.  If anything, it should get bigger.  There is no shame in looking like a Cadillac.  Cadillac lost its way in the late '80s when it tried to look like a Buick.

Cadillac is totally out in left field by still offering the DTS.

Remember.....GM stated PUBLICLY a few years ago that with the advent of the CTS, Cadillac was being positioned to fight BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.

I don't see DTS appealing to ANYONE seriously shopping the German brands (other than rabid C&G fans on here.)

They ALSO publicly stated that Buick would be moving up to fill the old-Cadillac role (re...Lucerne) that being of those "old geezers" you mentioned.

Look at how the leaders in the market are doing it......BMWs all adhere to a solid, single brand principle. So does Lexus. Audi does as well.

GM needs to STOP each division trying to be all things to all people. It's that "old-school" mentality that is still too persistent in the management ranks and on the board.

AND....if you think a DTS looks like it's worth $50K.....I really wonder where you developed your standards.....

The sad fact is most cars of this ilk have become victim of auto 'journalist's BMWitis where everything regardless of its size, intention, or design needs to have European handling. As I've said multiple times, I've driven a few BMWs, ridden in alot of them, and I prefer a real boulevardier any day of the week.

.....and Buick's got a couple of GREAT boulevarders out there! (or maybe Lexus?)

Cadillac, isn't supposed to be (according to GM) a boulevarder, and it SHOULDN'T be a boulevarder anymore.....

Cadillac, isn't supposed to be (according to GM) a boulevarder, and it SHOULDN'T be a boulevarder anymore.....

I really don't see why you hate this car so much you want it eviscerated from the lineup yesterday.

We all know the DTS as it currently exists will die in the next few years. The next DTS/DTS successor will be more appropriate but still be a smooth riding, stable car.

As far as Lexus, yes they're boulevardiers, but damn...talk about total and complete disconnected. I test drove an LS430 a few months ago and its the first car I've driven where I felt like the passenger though I was behind the wheel.

I really don't see why you hate this car so much you want it eviscerated from the lineup yesterday.

We all know the DTS as it currently exists will die in the next few years. The next DTS/DTS successor will be more appropriate but still be a smooth riding, stable car.

As far as Lexus, yes they're boulevardiers, but damn...talk about total and complete disconnected. I test drove an LS430 a few months ago and its the first car I've driven where I felt like the passenger though I was behind the wheel.

163120[/snapback]

It's not so much that I "hate" the DTS (although I think it IS ugly) it's that Cadillac has done some great things with the CTS, Escalade, XLR, and v-Series cars to really make themselves a competitor to the upscale imports and I see the DTS as a big, pussy, zit on the face of today's Cadillac.

It doesn't fit.

And the longer it stays, the more it counteracts the very image that Cadillac is trying to present to all those luxury-import-buying consumers out there.

The floaty, boaty LS430 FITS Lexus' image. The DTS is NOT the same thing to Cadillac.

That's all.....

In comparison.....although I'd prefer it to be RWD, I think the Lucerne (DTS' platform mate) actually fits Buick's image perfectly.

I honestly think there's more than a touch of melodrama there. Its not that bad and somone considering a Cadillac will not change their minds about a CTS, Escalade, or SRX just because there's a DTS with vogue wheels and a 'Presidential' kit somewhere in the lot. They'll just laugh it like the rest of us do.

I honestly think there's more than a touch of melodrama there. Its not that bad and somone considering a Cadillac will not change their minds about a CTS, Escalade, or SRX just because there's a DTS with vogue wheels and a 'Presidential' kit somewhere in the lot. They'll just laugh it like the rest of us do.

163804[/snapback]

I appreciate you trying to justify it's existence.....but that's all you're doing.

You are totally sidestepping the point I made about today's "successful" imported luxury brands having a consistent product message that is for the most part, shared among all their models.

It's all about the much larger picture of building brand equity.

If Cadillac is going to continue to succeed, it's got to shed it's old baggage. AND, I disagree with you about a tarted-up DTS not turning someone off of a CTS, et al.

That's one of the reasons that Cadillac gets very little respect out here with the exception of CTS and Escalade. It STILL has that resounding image to most Californians of a tarted-up DTS with Vogues, a fake convertible top, and tri-tone pinstripes.

As well rec'd as the CTS is in the number of them I see on the road, etc., over the last few weeks, when telling my peers and people my age that I ordered a new CTS, I still get the snickers and jokes about an old-man's car, or the fact that I need to start wearing gold chains.

Sure.....I show them the pics on the Lounge of the '07 CTS Sport and EVERYONE agrees it's a great-looking car.....but it doesn't change their perception of the brand as a whole.

DTS just plays into that while it's still around. That's ALL I'm talking about.

I understand your point about a consistant product message, but consider Cadillac from Cadillac's perspective.

Historically, the American luxury market changed from US-centric to Euro-centric. Big, wide, and heavy ceased being the hallmarks of high luxury to the majority of buyers while smaller, tauter, and a focal point on handling became the new mantra. The European marques didn't have to change a single thing and the Japanese entrants were so young, they could simply start off following that European theme. Our two luxury manufactuers couldn't. A slow transition incurrs far fewer 'losses' than an overnight makeover and Cadillac has been slowly weening the old-school luxury buyer into the contemporary luxury image Cadillac is trying to put forth now.

You're under the impression the impression that DTS buyers would simply buy a similar Lucerne and you're completely wrong. Among these owners, Cadillac is still placed high and away from Buick. Cadillac would simply lose many of those sales. I've heard from one of the sales reps at the local Cadillac dealer that some folks who owned Sevilles and traded them for STSs traded them back for the '06 DTS when it hit the lots because they still wanted a larger car with a more comfortable ride. The DTS today is not the boat people think of; its a competant, well-handling large sedan that is really in a class all to its own. It offers a bit more luxury and a bit more cache and style that the Lucerne doesn't have and people like that.

You say this is a problem out "here" meaning Southern California. Well, you've heard this before, but the entire country is not SoCal. Here and the Midwest and even the Northeast, there are many people who love a car like the DTS because - again - its plusher, bigger, and cheaper than anything the imports offer. Its a true highway cruiser, something that doesn't exist much more in this country outside of the wallowy, featureless Panther cars and the Lucerne.

And Cadillac has done everything it can to contemporize it so it can fit in legitimately with the rest of the lineup, certainly light years more than the Town Car, which I believe now has 36% more woodtone than before. It may not be the favorite son, but its not a bastard child either. And even if you consider the DTS with its more responsive suspension, Xenon lamps, active cruise control, and good road manners the 'worst' Cadillac in the bunch, that's saying something, isn't it?

The 'decorative' options, also, are a dealer thing and believe me, there are more of those in Florida than any other state. Cadillac can admonish dealers all they want and 'suggest' that they avoid selling such options, but when someone comes in and wants to stick $700 of lousy looking crap on a car and pay you $8000 to do so, why would you refuse? For the record, I've seen a handful of Lexus cars with vinyl kits and vogue tires. I learned recently that Lexus of Clearwater actually did it themselves in house for the customer. The market wants what it wants, ugly or not.

I've seen fake roofs on:

ES

300c

G35 <gasp>

Lexus LS

CTS

I've seen vogues on all of the above plus:

Lexus GS

MB C-class, E-Class, S-Class

BMW 7-series

Everything in the Cadillac line minus the XLR and SRX

I've seen continental kits on:

Avalanche

Seville

Deville

Town Car <but really, this just is pre-determined to have ugly crap tacked on>

There is plenty of ugly for everyone.

To The O.C. - cancel your CTS order. You won't be happy with the car. I've seen nothing from you but faint praise for it... why bother? Why fight your natural instinct toward sheepdom? The DTS has been successfully updated and continues to fill an important role at Cadillac. If you cannot respect that and separate it from the CTS, perhaps you don't have the backbone to be a Cadillac CTS driver. Edited by ocnblu

To The O.C. - cancel your CTS order.  You won't be happy with the car.  I've seen nothing from you but faint praise for it... why bother?  Why fight your natural instinct toward sheepdom?  The DTS has been successfully updated and continues to fill an important role at Cadillac.  If you cannot respect that and separate it from the CTS, perhaps you don't have the backbone to be a Cadillac CTS driver.

164647[/snapback]

:lol2:

To The O.C. - cancel your CTS order.  You won't be happy with the car.  I've seen nothing from you but faint praise for it... why bother?  Why fight your natural instinct toward sheepdom?  The DTS has been successfully updated and continues to fill an important role at Cadillac.  If you cannot respect that and separate it from the CTS, perhaps you don't have the backbone to be a Cadillac CTS driver.

164647[/snapback]

Perhaps you need to be a bit more careful before you :puke: something out of your mouth you don't know anything about.

I've raved numerous times in other posts....some pretty recently.....about the CTS and specifically the 18-inch wheel/sport package/3.6L version.

SO....before you think you can claim to know ANYTHING about MY "backbone".....why don't you ask me FIRST what I think about the car.

Perhaps you need to be a bit more careful before you  :puke: something out of your mouth you don't know anything about.

164969[/snapback]

Seriously? Don't count on it. This is Bill, afterall...

ETA: So, OC...what do you like about the car?

Edited by Croc

And who the hell are you, Croc? You will refer to me as "ocnblu", "ocn", or "baby daddy", never by my street name, got it? Now go back in your hole and be quiet. I wasn't talking to you.

O.C., my attempt at a smackdown was a bit over the top, but I largely stand by what I said. I went back through your posts, and you have to admit, you are a bit of a nitpicker, even when it comes to the CTS. The problem I have is... I don't want to hear a bunch of bitching about this car when you get it, when it seems like you'd rather be driving a Big Money Waste. I believe GM will pay your dealership less money in warranty repairs than BMW would if you'd leased a 3 series, bottom line. You seem to be a bit afraid to drive the Cadillac because of what others will say... others who are clueless. You have to choose to listen and take them to heart (which will taint your whole CTS experience), or go the more intelligent way. Cadillac.

And who the hell are you, Croc?  You will refer to me as "ocnblu", "ocn", or "baby daddy", never by my street name, got it?  Now go back in your hole and be quiet.  I wasn't talking to you.

O.C., my attempt at a smackdown was a bit over the top, but I largely stand by what I said.  I went back through your posts, and you have to admit, you are a bit of a nitpicker, even when it comes to the CTS.  The problem I have is... I don't want to hear a bunch of bitching about this car when you get it, when it seems like you'd rather be driving a Big Money Waste.  I believe GM will pay your dealership less money in warranty repairs than BMW would if you'd leased a 3 series, bottom line.  You seem to be a bit afraid to drive the Cadillac because of what others will say... others who are clueless.  You have to choose to listen and take them to heart (which will taint your whole CTS experience), or go the more intelligent way.  Cadillac.

165009[/snapback]

ROTFLMAO! That's pretty bad...

Perhaps you need to be a bit more careful before you  :puke: something out of your mouth you don't know anything about.

I've raved numerous times in other posts....some pretty recently.....about the CTS and specifically the 18-inch wheel/sport package/3.6L version.

SO....before you think you can claim to know ANYTHING about MY "backbone".....why don't you ask me FIRST what I think about the car.

164969[/snapback]

but won't a DTS with vogues, a carriage roof, gold package and extra hood ornament reflect badly on you as a CTS driver?

And who the hell are you, Croc?  You will refer to me as "ocnblu", "ocn", or "baby daddy", never by my street name, got it?  Now go back in your hole and be quiet.  I wasn't talking to you.

165009[/snapback]

:nono:

I will refer to you however I please. I also find it highly ironic that you, Bill, are taking issue with my participation in this dispute since you seem to have no problem chiming in whenever you see fit. :AH-HA_wink:

--------------------

So, OC...I gotta ask...any reason you won't wait one more model year? i see you as one of those first-on-the-block kinda guys...if I were you I'd wait for the newer, better, more impressive model. And if you don't like it as much, there will still be plenty of the 1st gens on lots to buy.

Edited by Croc

:nono:

I will refer to you however I please.  I also find it highly ironic that you, Bill, are taking issue with my participation in this dispute since you seem to have no problem chiming in whenever you see fit. :AH-HA_wink:

--------------------

So, OC...I gotta ask...any reason you won't wait one more model year?  i see you as one of those first-on-the-block kinda guys...if I were you I'd wait for the newer, better, more impressive model.  And if you don't like it as much, there will still be plenty of the 1st gens on lots to buy.

165093[/snapback]

Well, lame-duck CTSes are unbelievably cheap right now...

CTS 3.6L V6 VVT SPORT 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE 5-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION

BLACK RAVEN EBONY INTERIOR TRIM

**PERFORMANCE**

• 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE

• AISIN 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANS.

• PERFORMANCE-TUNED SUSPENSION

• PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEM

• 18" POLISHED 12-SPOKE WHEELS

• P225/50R18 W-RATED TIRES

• STABILITRAK-STABILITY CONTROL

• LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

• CHROME EXHAUST TIPS

• GRILLE W/CHROME MESH INSERTS

• REAR SPOILER

**LUXURY/COMFORT/CONVENIENCE**

MSRP:*

$39,040.00

GMS Price:***

$35,185.85

Current Offers:

-$3,250.00

Net Price:

$31,935.85

!!!!!

Look, boys...you've taken my thread which started out intelligently and made it pungent! Cat fight....hissssssssssssssssssss...

Ok, I sort of see what The O.C. is saying about 2 directions. You've got a segment of Cadillac that wants to fight the imports head-on and you've got this segment of the brand that is the unmistakable, and slightly spongy, boulevardier.

Well, maybe the challenge is for the DTS to aim at the big Benz and the big Bimmer without losing sight of what it is, a Cadillac, though one that is more svelte and up-to-date than what they have dished out and done at a price point that is compelling.

Look, boys...you've taken my thread which started out intelligently and made it pungent!  Cat fight....hissssssssssssssssssss...

Ok, I sort of see what The O.C. is saying about 2 directions.  You've got a segment of Cadillac that wants to fight the imports head-on and you've got this segment of the brand that is the unmistakable, and slightly spongy, boulevardier. 

Well, maybe the challenge is for the DTS to aim at the big Benz and the big Bimmer without losing sight of what it is, a Cadillac, though one that is more svelte and up-to-date than what they have dished out and done at a price point that is compelling.

165215[/snapback]

Sounds good... I'm totally for big, comfy, plush luxury, just in a sophisticated and modern way. I guess the question is whether current DTS loyalists will pony up for S-class/7-series/A8 prices.

Hi everyone. I purchased my new black DTS (Lux III w/cashmere interior) just last Friday and am very pleased. After a difficult initial dealer experience, I received some advice from another poster in the "72-Hour Sale" forum and ended up with a darn good deal.

The car is terrific. The ride, the handling, and the northstar engine are excellent. I'm surprised to read some references to the road manners being ungainly or it being heavy and and old school.....my previous car was a 2001 Chrysler Concorde LXi, and this exceptionally quiet vehicle rides more smoothly and handles at least as well.

The turning radius is a large, but so is the car. I expected that knowing that I need a large car with tons of room and a large trunk. I rarely do any tight-location maneuvering anyway, so it doesn't concern me. With the front & rear parking assist there is no issue getting into or out of any parking location.

As far as the styling, this vehicle turns heads everywhere I go. My co-workers have all been begging to drive it and every one of them comments on how people check them out when they're in the drivers seat. Maybe it's the black paint job with the tasteful chrome accents, or maybe it's the Art & Science design theme.....either way, this car stands out and looks like nothing else.

I have co-workers who drive BMW's, Lexus, Toyota (Avalon) and other imports. Every last one of them is truly impressed by this DTS. At least two have asked for the dealer's business card and one of them is seriously considering an STS.

Yes, I know I'm in the "new car euphoria" phase right now, but this Cadillac is winning people over. Am I their biggest cheerleader right now? Probably. But a vehicle always speaks for itself once a non-owner gets behind the wheel, and this car's a winner in my opinion.

O.C. wants to fight with everyone on this. I'll tell you where I get my standards: in my father's '69 Chrysler 300 with the TNT package, Michelin radials and front disc brakes - all cutting edge 35 years ago.

I think BMW is crap, plain and simple. I don't want to feel every pothole, frost heave and crack in the asphalt. 90% of the motoring public can't drive these vehicles anwhere to within half of their capability anyway. The media baffles people with their total BS about G-forces and all that crap, WHICH may be important in a Porsche or a Ferrari, but not in a luxury car.

I like big cars. The only CARS I would consider right now are the 300, Dodge Magnum (I have a dog!), Impala, maybe Fusion. I am not in Cadillac's snack bracket, although the CTS is in my range, I would rather go for size. The Lincoln MK, or whatever the hell they are calling it, is mighty nice, too.

I, personally, would not buy the DTS, but I am also only 45. Cadillac and Lincoln need their barges to keep the MILLIONS of old farts out there that remember the glory years of the '60s and they legimately want a vehicle that reminds them of that.....or else why would they pay $100k for a 1959 Biarritz??????

Seriously?  Don't count on it.  This is Bill, afterall...

ETA:  So, OC...what do you like about the car?

164972[/snapback]

Hey Croc.....hang on a sec....

First of all....ocnblu.... :nono: it looks like all you're trying to do is create a catfight with me. Well....I won't bite.

Back to Croc's message.....I don't know if you meant what do I like about the CTS or the DTS....so I'll answer both.

First....why get the CTS when a new one comes out in a year? 'Cause I have to buy a car NOW....because I lost my company car. So...the question is.....what luxury/sport sedan do I buy that is not over-the-top expensive, but also offers a manual transmission?

BMW was tops on my list. However, at this time, I didn't wanna pay the payment on a 5-series. Maybe my next car, in 36 mos, I'll be ready to....but I don't want to now. As far as the 3-series, I can't deny that it is a fabulously-driving car....but it seems like EVERYONE in O.C. has a 3-series....and many of them are chicks. As good as it is, I wanted something more distinctive (cue...CTS.)

I HAVE always liked the CTS.....and the new 18-inch Sport package I think looks absolutely FABULOUS. Plus, it's kinda the "rebel" purchase. That's why I like driving the C6 around here instead of the ubiquitous Boxer or Carerra. C6s are a bit rarer.

I look at the CTS kindof in the same way.

What do I LIKE about the CTS? Well, it's easier to say what I don't like. I don't like the floor-mounted parking brake and I don't like a vast majority of the cheap interior materials....however, I DO like the style of the interior and the actual fit and finish looks to be excellent....even if the materials ARE subpar.

Everything else? I love.

To ocnblu's point about MY ego being affected by pimped-out DTSs.....I could care LESS what other people think. That doesn't in the slightest affect my decision to buy a CTS. My POINT WAS....that I think a vast majority of people ARE affected by nameplate image and so forth.

If I WAS as affected by my ego, I'd have that 3-series on order right now.

NOW....what do I like on the DTS?

I still like the Northstar engine.....and I think the interior on the (bucket seat equipped) DTS is the nicest in the Cadillac lineup (XLR included) with just about the best materials (shame Lucerne doesn't share the same plastics.)

Other than that, I have absolutely no interest in the car.....