Grand Prix GXP test drive

not much time so I'll expand tomorrow but its was ok. overall the cheap interior leaves a bigger impression than the generally good ride, handling, and power.

-cabin noise is pretty tuned out but the nice exhaust burble is there. I still like the cammy sound of an ohc over the rumbly small block but in this case i thought it sounded great.

-good steering although you can tell the front tires are WIDE

-very very little torque steer even when i hammered the throttle. any magazine that says this car has torque steer quite honestly didn't test the car. My Aztek has more torque steer probably.

-tapshift is cool but kinda pointless with only 4 gears

-the cheapness of the interior gets to you from the get go and diverts your thoughts away from what is geenrally a decent car. the car had 2k miles on it and the interior already looked more like 40,000 miles.

-car did feel slightly heavy and the steering felt just a little disconnected but not enough to really upset you

-some clunkiness over hard bumps but not harsh

-I'm not a fan of the squat roof

-even though the car would perform better with RWD its pretty darn neutral and good for FWD. The weight of the car is more distracting than any negative notion of the car being FWD. most folks will have no issues with the way this cars drives with FWD.

-the car is tuned much differently in r/h than the SS impala and does give the car a good sporting personality. its lacks ultimate polish but i think they deserve credit for doing with it what they did and with what the beancounters gave them to work with.

verdict, decent car but it may have made more sense about 8 years ago. it kind of has that late 90's feel and purpose to it.

B-

IMHO i won't buy one but I do think it does bring some good things to the table. Perhaps the Aura XR or redline will be more of interest to me and a car like the Maxima or Altima SE-R is likely more my cup of tea. I could add several other cars to that list.

I could see why others might buy the car. its pretty good considering how things go at GM most of the time.

Edited by regfootball

not much time so I'll expand tomorrow but its was ok.  overall the cheap interior leaves a bigger impression than the generally good ride, handling, and power.

-cabin noise is pretty tuned out but the nice exhaust burble is there.  I still like the cammy sound of an ohc over the rumbly small block but in this case i thought it sounded great.

-good steering although you can tell the front tires are WIDE

-very very little torque steer even when i hammered the throttle.  any magazine that says this car has torque steer quite honestly didn't test the car.  My Aztek has more torque steer probably. 

-tapshift is cool but kinda pointless with only 4 gears

-the cheapness of the interior gets to you from the get go and diverts your thoughts away from what is geenrally a decent car.  the car had 2k miles on it and the interior already looked more like 40,000 miles.

-car did feel slightly heavy and the steering felt just a little disconnected but not enough to really upset you

-some clunkiness over hard bumps but not harsh

-I'm not a fan of the squat roof

-even though the car would perform better with RWD its pretty darn neutral and good for  FWD.  The weight of the car is more distracting than any negative notion of the car being FWD.  most folks will have no issues with the way this cars drives with FWD.

-the car is tuned much differently in r/h than the SS impala and does give the car a good sporting personality.  its lacks ultimate polish but i think they deserve credit for doing with it what they did and with what the beancounters gave them to work with.

verdict, decent car but it may have made more sense about 8 years ago.  it kind of has that late 90's feel and purpose to it.

B-

IMHO    i won't buy one but I do think it does bring some good things to the table.  Perhaps the Aura XR or redline will be more of interest to me and a car like the Maxima or Altima SE-R is likely more my cup of tea. I could add several other cars to that list.

I could see why others might buy the car.  its pretty good considering how things go at GM most of the time.

163679[/snapback]

I had a "normal" Grand Prix in Hawaii as a rental and I agree the interior is horrid.

Actually the dash top and door panel plastics were quite nice.....soft touch, with a "techno" pimple-dot-matrix effect.

But the rest was that typical, GM hollow, brittle, cheap hard plastic on the center stack, lower dash, glovebox door, lower door panels, etc.

I couldn't believe how I could wiggle the floor console back and forth with so much free play....

And have you EVER seen a bigger airbag wheel and speedometer???????

Other than that, like you said, a decent car otherwise.

A better bet would be an Impala SS with the Grand Prix's chassis tuning, wheel/tire package, bilsteins, and so forth. The Impala's interior is of a much higher quality as well....even the hard plastic in the Chevy is of a much better execution....

163795[/snapback]

Exactly. You have to appreciate (if not love) the Grand Prix's brashness. Certainly is a welcome sign of variety in an otherwise stale market filled with the same faux aluminum trim surrounding the same three climate control knobs mounted on the same symmetrical center stack with the same 2"x4" rectangular airvents with the same hazard lamp switch in the middle.

Exactly. You have to appreciate (if not love) the Grand Prix's brashness. Certainly is a welcome sign of variety in an otherwise stale market filled with the same faux aluminum trim surrounding the same three climate control knobs mounted on the same symmetrical center stack with the same 2"x4" rectangular airvents with the same hazard lamp switch in the middle.

163801[/snapback]

Me too! Having grown up with German and Swedish cars and their austere coal-bin interiors, I find the cheesiness and character of the GP exotic and entertaining.

Here's something I found on the 'net that really captures it all:

I actually sort of enjoy driving GM rental cars like this one. There's something "big and nasty" about them that's kind of unique and enjoyable (in a perverse way). I drive in a completely different (and indifferent) fashion. I like chirping the tires and feeling the toruqe steer. I like hearing the "we build excitement" pushrod 6 growl away, and the abrupt throttle tip-in. I like the cheesy boomy stereos. I like the "ice-cold" A/C. I like the cheesy startup sequence where all the needles sweep up and down, and the LCD excitedly proclaims "GP" in red pixelated text. I like the old-school foot parking brake. I like the very fast power windows, and large cupholder. I like taking corners a bit fast and feeling the ludircrous amounts of understeer. Its all so ridiculous that I actually have a grin on my face when I'm driving one of these things. Makes me want to eat lots of McDonalds, buy lots of stuff at Walmart and put a big Slurpee in my cupholder. Of course, I'd never buy one. But, there is some fun to be had. I'd rather rent one of these mastadons then a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord-- just for the experience. With the exception of the Mustang, I don't feel the same way about Ford's products. The Taurus just pisses me off. I'll admit that sometimes, wehn the mood hits me, and I'm driving my BMW, I actually wish I was driving a ridicuous GM car. Its kind of like getting a craving for junk food I guess.

:)

Thanks for a fair and honest review. I've owned a 2004 Grand Prix and have driven the GXP, so you're pretty much on the money.

163711[/snapback]

:) and everyone thinks I am out to rip all the time. one thing i will say, i came to appreciate the steering feel more on my 500 after that GXP test drive....only from the standpoint of a less artificial feel on the wheel. Obviously the GXP is more agressively tuned in the steering and hadling dept. which i liked.

I had a "normal" Grand Prix in Hawaii as a rental and I agree the interior is horrid.

Actually the dash top and door panel plastics were quite nice.....soft touch, with a "techno" pimple-dot-matrix effect.

But the rest was that typical, GM hollow, brittle, cheap hard plastic on the center stack, lower dash, glovebox door, lower door panels, etc.

I couldn't believe how I could wiggle the floor console back and forth with so much free play....

Other than that, like you said, a decent car otherwise.

A better bet would be an Impala SS with the Grand Prix's chassis tuning, wheel/tire package, bilsteins, and so forth.  The Impala's interior is of a much higher quality as well....even the hard plastic in the Chevy is of a much better execution....

163795[/snapback]

you're right, the dash top plastic is not bad, just dreary colored. the center stack and cheap console and shifter is what destroys every positive impression you have of the rest of the car.

the steering wheel illicits chunks. But the new Jag coupe has almost the same design..ARG!

that is why i tested the impala ss last fall when it came out and i was so disappointed. i know totally why C/D ripped the impala. its a cruiser. The GXP can actually make a good case to someone who enjoys aggressive driving. The impala with some interior tweaks like real supportive seats and decent gauges and the GXP's suspension and steering would be a nice combo.

Small block lovers will hate me for saying this.......I think I would find the direct injection 3.6hf v6 in this car a lot more interesting. I think that DI version is supposed to have around 300hp but less torque. I think the sound and camminess of that setup would fit more into the FWD sedan genre. At least the Pontiac versions. I guess it makes sense for the chevy to get the small block.

Edited by regfootball

163801[/snapback]

The GXP is not brash when you drive it, that's the nice thing. Its not loud, its not crude. If anything the styling inside and out can slightly offend but that's different than brash.

Me too! Having grown up with German and Swedish cars and their austere coal-bin interiors, I find the cheesiness and character of the GP exotic and entertaining.

Here's something I found on the 'net that really captures it all:

163839[/snapback]

that quote you found was awesome and SO TRUE!

The interior has always been the achilles heel to the 04 and up Grand Prix design. The front seats are too hard and over bolstered. The roof is too low. Rear seat legroom is bad. The rear seatback feels like sitting on a park bench! The rear seat cup holders are an obvious after thought, their is no rear center fold down armrest, a passenger side overhead assist grip is absent yet the back seat driver gets one. The interior of this car needs a total rethink. Hopefully Pontiac doesn't kill off one of there last good names with another stupid alphanumeric one.

The interior has always been the achilles heel to the 04 and up Grand Prix design. The front seats are too hard and over bolstered. The roof is too low. Rear seat legroom is bad. The rear seatback feels like sitting on a park bench! The rear seat cup holders are an obvious after thought, their is no rear center fold down armrest, a passenger side overhead assist grip is absent yet the back seat driver gets one. The interior of this car needs a total rethink. Hopefully Pontiac doesn't kill off one of there last good names with another stupid alphanumeric one.

165475[/snapback]

they basically forgot what makes sedans attractive.....function and usability. they squashed the roof and eliminated the back seat room. for such a huge car to have such limited benefit is a cardinal sin.

Well I own and live with a GTP Comp G daily.

It is the mid size V6 sport coupe I can't buy today. I love the car but I would change a few things.

Front seats are fine

Back seat nees more padding and reshaped.

Leg room front and back are fine.

Head room is ok for me at 6 foot but I would not want to be any taller.

The console and center stack are total crap. The plastic and faje aluminum need to go.

Cup holder? I drive a car I don't buy them to eat in.

The cheap trim on the steering wheel is wearing and is now being replaced at 30K miles.

Dash and guages. I would love to have more on dash guages and different ac vents.

The fold down back and front seat will hauls items longer than my Sonoma short bed can haul. Heck you can carry a 8 foot ladder with the trunk shut. So the car does have great utility.

As to driving, I hate FWD but love this car. I only bought it because it is wha the wife wanted. It replaced a SSEI Bonnie and I don't miss the Bonnie at all.

Last things to note. The heads up is a must on all cars I rarely ever look at the dash for anything any more. The sability control is great to control the FWD in the snow. Also this car is much more solid than past GP's I have driven, they did tighten things up.

Finally the ability of the Series 3 engine to live on regular is great with the high gas prices. It lowers your HP from 260 HP to 240 HP but that is enough for around town driving. Why GM did not use this in the Monte and Impala SS when they first came out is a wonder.

On the scale of 1-10 I give it a 7.5, and for what I paid for it there is little else I liked better from GM.

The comp and GXP are similar. I have driven the GXP and would not go through the effort just for the V8. I did like the brakes on the new car. Paddle shifters are a waste unless I am in the mountains.

Edited by hyperv6

The front seats are too hard and over bolstered. The roof is too low. Rear seat legroom is bad. The rear seatback feels like sitting on a park bench! a passenger side overhead assist grip is absent yet the back seat driver gets one.

165475[/snapback]

Right. I find that the front seats are a little bit of a chore for me (at a 34 waist) to get in and out of because of the bolstering and slightly lower position than in, say, the MC. The rear seats are exactly as you say. Good call on the assist grip...I think you're right.

It's a very likeable road car, though, even in base form. I have rented enough of these and put enough miles on them to get me from LA to NY and I'm now "working my way back." LOL.

The O.C.s comment about the steering wheel and the speedo is funny. Yeah, I think a design that is a little tamer would have been nice. I wanted to say that, as I look at these, raising the roof an inch or two and having a backlite that isn't so flat would not have damaged the sportiness....just look at the previous gen. You do have to admit, however, that the overall shape and functionality of the dash is quite good.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for the overall level of amenities and type of car, it is very affordable in its base level form. Perhaps the chintziness, as is mentioned above, is what allows for it to be in this price point, though that is kind of sad.

they squashed the roof and eliminated the back seat room.  for such a huge car to have such limited benefit is a cardinal sin.

166677[/snapback]

Spoken like a true Catholic. :lol: