Surprise - It's the Acadia

evok

It's already looking dated & it's been 5 hours since I saw it first.

Then again I just can't stand 90% of "crossovers". <_<

I'm impressed. Still, I haven't quite figured out what my next vehicle is going to be; truck, SUV, crossover... a lot to consider. I had thought of the Trailblazer or Envoy; however, this looks like a dramatically improved vehicle that can accomplish what I need.

...maybe.

Interesting to note that all too many people will immdiately wonder why GMC gets first dibs over Chevrolet on a new product that is not a rebadge. It's all-too typically the other way around. GMC still has a place within GM...with vehicles that have cleaner-styling and slightly upscale appeal.

Want me to start another thread so you can bitch about a vehicle for which you'll never be in the market for a fourth time?

166007[/snapback]

Nahhh... I'm all set. I think it's my place to metion this things' weak points

while everyone is gushing over its styling. This FWD is like a cancer... we

need to cut it out like a surgeon does to a brain tumor before it spread to

even full size trucks. <_<

But like I said, the styling is great inside & out, esp. compared to the Ford

equivelants & Japanese trucks like the Pilot & Highlander, if those are even

considered in the same demographic...?

even full size trucks.  <_<

166025[/snapback]

What weak points? You don't like something, so its a weak point. Guess what? This market segment demands FWD/AWD and this delivers the basics and copious amounts of extras. Of course we gush about the style because that's what seperates it from the other contenders and the Acadia and Enclave standouts. Ask the Freestyle why its sitting on the lots for so long - not because its FWD, but because its boringly-shaped. Ask the Durango what its problem is - its RWD and V8-powered, but it doesn't save it from being an unmitigated pile of crap.

Seriously. Wow.

even full size trucks.

166025[/snapback]

This is a full-size truck.

It's already looking dated & it's been 5 hours since I saw it first.

Then again I just can't stand 90% of "crossovers". <_<

165993[/snapback]

Thats because you're living in the past. Its 2006...your antiquated idea of what makes an SUV an SUV is not parallel to what the market wants.

As a piece of engineering, the Acadia looks brilliant, but sometimes you have to slap GM's product planners in the face. Anyone else concerned by the proximity of the Lambda and GMT900 launches? For most, the two constitute similar markets, and with just a 1 MPG city difference between the two, I can't help but think that perhaps GM would benefit more from, say, a really nice minivan, compact car, or cute 'ute.

The Lambdas are worryingly big, IMO.

Thats because you're living in the past.  Its 2006...your antiquated idea of what makes an SUV an SUV is not parallel to what the market wants.

166074[/snapback]

The market in general doesn't know what it wants...Take 2 Honda Accords for example. Leave one FWD, and have one magically be RWD...Both cars are exactly the same, options and colors, everything the same. A woman comes up and wants to buy an Accord the exact way these two cars are optioned out. Do you think she will care, or for that matter, even know the differences of fwd vs. rwd (other than the obvious :rolleyes: )?

It would be like arguing with average joe the pros and cons of going with an OBD1 e36 M3 over an OBD2 e36 M3, or a 540 with the M62 vs. a 540 with the M62tu. While you may know what you're talking about and may have good points, the other party doesn't have a clue and generally doesn't care. They may usually tend to go along with what you say just because they don't know any better.

It is what gives meaning to the comparison of the general car buying public and "sheep".

Actually, it's more of a minivan made not to look like a minivan.

166728[/snapback]

At least someone on this site is not brainwashed. :CG_all:

The market in general doesn't know what it wants...Take 2 Honda Accords for example. Leave one FWD, and have one magically be RWD...Both cars are exactly the same, options and colors, everything the same. A woman comes up and wants to buy an Accord the exact way these two cars are optioned out. Do you think she will care, or for that matter, even know the differences of fwd vs. rwd (other than the obvious  :rolleyes: )?

It would be like arguing with average joe the pros and cons of going with an OBD1 e36 M3 over an OBD2 e36 M3, or a 540 with the M62 vs. a 540 with the M62tu. While you may know what you're talking about and may have good points, the other party doesn't have a clue and generally doesn't care. They may usually tend to go along with what you say just because they don't know any better.

It is what gives meaning to the comparison of the general car buying public and "sheep".

166682[/snapback]

I never said the market was smart in what it wants, only that, outside of enthusiasts, those being you, 68, and me, it prefers FWD to RWD. Were this lady to know one is RWD and the other is FWD, all things being equal she'll get the FWD model.

Well, not sure of the pricing...I would assume it would be starting in the high 20's...at most, low 30's...But the tow rating is 4500.

166685[/snapback]

I hope its no more than $29,995, personally. That leaves the Enclave at $34,995 and Outlook at $24,995.

Guest YellowJacket894

I can see too much Outlook in this.

But that aside, what styling tweaks that have been added look pretty great and I hope they migrate to other GMC vehicles. The interior blows the competition out of the water.

And while I do feel that it's sad that we will no longer be able to buy rugged, rear-drive SUVs smaller than a Tahoe from GM, at least this product will suceed in the market its meant for.

I can see too much Outlook in this.

But that aside, what styling tweaks that have been added look pretty great and I hope they migrate to other GMC vehicles. The interior blows the competition out of the water.

And while I do feel that it's sad that we will no longer be able to buy rugged, rear-drive SUVs smaller than a Tahoe from GM, at least this product will suceed in the market its meant for.

166767[/snapback]

According to Fly, the Trailblazer will remain RWD and move to GMs NG compact pickup platform.

According to Fly, the Trailblazer will remain RWD and move to GMs NG compact pickup platform.

166768[/snapback]

Well, keep in mind this is educated speculation based on a few different factors, such as the GMT-355 H3 showing its completely possible, the prolonged stringing out of the current GMT-360s with minor updates, and the news that GM and Isuzu are again working together on a next-generation compact/small pickup truck for arounf the end of the decade. Plus, its all too easy to imagine a Colorado with a permenant camper shell as a reasonable Trailblazer successor. Finally, people will still buy the five or six core midsize SUVs, fuel prices be damned. They have strong followings.

There's only one thing worse than dumb sheeple buying SUVs like

they're the solution to all of Mankind's problem... that's all the

dumb sheepple buying FWD "SUVs" that are nothing more than

dressed up cars with tall bodies... therefore the same basic formula

as the original Chrysler minivans.

FWD is evil, you guys say most dumb retards buying these things

don't know the diff. between FWD & RWD? Great all the more

reason to do the right thing and make them RWD.

Instead of understeering thewm into guardrails in the rain they'll

oversteer them into trees. Six of one half dozen onf another. :mellow:

166784[/snapback]

As said, you're never going to be in the market for this kind of vehicle, so why do you even care? Similarly, I'm never going to be buying a Lambo, so what do I care if they do _______ to one?

Again, you don't like it, so its wrong. Good thing you don't run GM.

166784[/snapback]

Regardless of whether they can TELL the difference, the fact remains is that they WANT FWD.

Sixty8, GET OVER IT. FWD has a place in the market. You like RWD, that's perfectly understandable and all, but it doesn't make anything FWD a pile. FWD has many advantages for your everyday driver. It's easier for a novice to control. It takes up less cabin space to not have to make space for a drive shaft. It weighs less. It costs less. Yes, it's less performance-oriented. Why the heck does a MINIVAN need to be performance-oriented?

166784[/snapback]

No, dumb sheeple buy RWD BOF TrailBlazers, when in fact roomier, more efficient, and less-prone-to-rollover unibody 'utes and minivans suit their needs better.

This reminds me of that Commander v. Explorer comparison...

Unless you're conducting some "difficulty eight" off-roading, neither of these SUVs is much fun. If your goal is simply to seat seven, buy a minivan. A Honda Odyssey is quicker to 60 mph than the Explorer, has a higher top speed than either of these SUVs, is quieter at idle, offers better fuel economy, outgrips both, is faster through our lane change, includes steering with actual feel, affords easier access to the third seat, will carry more than two fulgurites when the rearmost seat is raised, and will tow 3500 pounds — sufficient for any of the ATVs, motorbikes, buggies, or two-person campers we encountered at the dunes. Did we mention that minivans are cheaper?

Buying an Explorer or Commander on the premise that you might, one day, need to carry seven persons and tow a Bayliner up to Chicken Point is like buying the Playboy mansion on the premise that you might, one day, have 17 bosomy, dumb girlfriends who all want to live with you at the same time. Yeah, it could happen. But why pay the mortgage until it does?

Edited by empowah

166784[/snapback]

If nothing else, FWD has been more efficient in both packaging and fuel economy for years. I don't know if the inequity in fuel efficiency has been removed, but "the hump" is still an issue for many buyers.

As said, you're never going to be in the market for this kind of vehicle, so why do you even care? Similarly, I'm never going to be buying a Lambo, so what do I care if they do _______ to one?

Again, you don't like it, so its wrong. Good thing you don't run GM.

166786[/snapback]

Ah - 20 years from now, I am sure he can find a nice, lower milage 2003 or there about CTS that will fit his needs when he is in the market for a new car. Hell might even find a good Lexus GS430 out there.

transverse mounted motors: :(

front wheels pulling the vehicle when loaded up the car has more weight on the rears: :(

weight tranfser going to rear axle as the fronts do all the work: :(

$$$ repairs & mintenance like on any FWD vehicle: :(

Not being able to get decent acess to ANYTHING important underhood: :(

For your information William Mitchel was an oppinionated

loud-mouthed prick but I'd take any car made durring his

reign over the post-B-body & post-F-body GM anyday! :wink:

Edited by Sixty8panther

For your information William Mitchel was an oppinionated

loud-mouthed prick but I'd take any car made durring his

reign over the post-B-body & post-F-body GM anyday! :wink:

166849[/snapback]

mostly because your personalities are so similar :pokeowned:

:AH-HA_wink:

I will give some support to Sixty8. While I am fine with the Outlook and perhaps even the Enclave being FWD with optional AWD, I think the Acadia should have AWD standard. Not only does it represent the GMC image but it also sets it apart from the other Lambdas.

Gas prices are going to skyrocket because of the new action in the Middle East (all thanks to Iran).  I hope they do not have a huge impact on the Lambda launches.

166807[/snapback]

I will give some support to Sixty8.  While I am fine with the Outlook and perhaps even the Enclave being FWD with optional AWD, I think the Acadia should have AWD standard.  Not only does it represent the GMC image but it also sets it apart from the other Lambdas.

166904[/snapback]

First you say gas prices are going to skyrocket and your hope that it doesn't have much of an impact on the Lambda launches, then you say the Acadia should be AWD-only. However, AWD is much less-fuel efficient, and if gas prices are going to go up even more, then GMC needs to offer the most fuel efficiency they can, meaning FWD for base models.

I would like to see a 2-row, shorter wheelbase Lambda. While I love almost everything about it, it does have that long-in-the-middle thing going on that killed the looks of the Envoy XL.

If... a new SUV is made on the next-gen 355 chassis, then nevermind, as long as it is a 2 row vehicle only... with a 2 door bodystyle available, in addition to the necessary 4 door.

Guest YellowJacket894

166768[/snapback]

I've heard that, and I know it's more than possible, but I think GM will say "nay" unless they intend for it to replace Theta.

And as for the whole front-drive issue, keep it for compact vehicles (I.E. Civics and Corollas). Anything that is going to offer a V8 pushing over 300 horses now or in the future needs to be rear-drive, no question.

Fact: Hi-Po Vee-Eight + Front-drive + Large Size = Error.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I've heard that, and I know it's more than possible, but I think GM will say "nay" unless they intend for it to replace Theta.

And as for the whole front-drive issue, keep it for compact vehicles (I.E. Civics and Corollas). Anything that is going to offer a V8 pushing over 300 horses now or in the future needs to be rear-drive, no question.

Fact: Hi-Po Vee-Eight + Front-drive + Large Size = Error.

166938[/snapback]

Ideally, those engines will be limited to AWD-only models, such as Denali, Redline, or Ultra/Super (whatever they decide to call it).

First you say gas prices are going to skyrocket and your hope that it doesn't have much of an impact on the Lambda launches, then you say the Acadia should be AWD-only. However, AWD is much less-fuel efficient, and if gas prices are going to go up even more, then GMC needs to offer the most fuel efficiency they can, meaning FWD for base models.

166912[/snapback]

Have to sacrifice something, don't you? You can already tell Lambda is starting to reach diluted status because of the design similarities between the Acadia and Outlook, right down to badge placement. Outlook and Enclave are unique. Acadia and Outlook are about 25/75 and the Chevy Lambda is probably going to have even less uniqueness. Hell, there are going to be two Lambdas sold at PBG dealers. I know we have argued about GMC and its purpose and a GMC Lambda and its purpose, yada yada yada, but it's just something I do not understand. Then again, GM threw Pontiac's legacy and image in the trash. It's much harder to build reputation than to ruin it.

BTW, if GMC really cared about fuel efficiency it would not sell 100% trucks. Well, with the Acadia that percentage is down a bit but you still get my point.

Gas prices are going to skyrocket. :AH-HA_wink:

The Acadia and Outlook are too similar from the A-pillar back, but the front ends are different enough and the interiors have totally different personalities.

I'm not seeing how 1/4 of the Acadia and Enclave are the same. The share nothing on the exterior, and while they may share the same radio and HVAC units, the interiors as a whole have totally different themes. They share 10% max, unless you want to count the powertrains.

Another thing... GMC is currently more upscale than Buick is. Denalis top $50K, while people rarely pay more than $30K for a Buick. The Enclave and Acadia reverse that.

167128[/snapback]

But Buick doesn't have anything as huge as the Yukon and XL. The Rainier costs more than the Envoy I believe, so I think that says that Buick is still more upscale.