name that engine

I don't think its a Buick 215, its definitely a Buick engine, but I can't tell much more than that. I know that Buick and some Dodges had the slanted distributor in the front of then engine, but I can't tell much more than that.

(w00t 700th post!)

Edited by 76ChevyTrucker

my bro found out mg used to put those in in europe from buick... he's working on a 240z, the 215 comes out to 3.5L... if he put the money into it instead of a 570z he'd have a 350z V8 he found it funny...

no idea on this... an R at the end of something on the valve covers... hmmm

It is a 215 alright... love those things.

How much? Is is for sale?

my bro found out mg used to put those in in europe from buick... he's working on a 240z, the 215 comes out to 3.5L...  if he put the money into it instead of a 570z he'd have a 350z V8  he found it funny... 

no idea on this...  an R at the end of something on the valve covers...  hmmm

Didn't some British company get the 215 in the 1960s?  I'm thinking it was Rover.  I also remember seeing one of these in a Triumph Stag (I think).

Loki, no. NeonLX, yes.

Buick didn't supply the 215 to MG, British Leyland bought the whole engine and its tooling from Buick. Back when the tiny aluminum V8 was developed, there was a brief gas crunch...it passed and GM sold off its smaller engines; the aluminum V8 to British Leyland and the 90-degree V6 to AMC (the latter was bought back).

The V8 powered a number of vehicles until just a few years ago. It powered the MGB GT V8 (as Loki mentioned), the Rover 3500, the Rover SD1/3500, MG RV8, various Land Rover models (Range Rover, Defender, Discovery), various TVR models, and various Morgan models among others. In production in the UK, the engine ranged from 3.5L (215cid) to 5.0L (featured in TVR usage). Other V8 engines replaced it as the ancient engine became too expensive to clean. Engines from Ford (MG Rover, Land Rover), BMW (Morgan, Land Rover), and TVR (TVR) replaced the engine.

Notice that the valve covers are reletively flat or on a nearly level plane, rather than splayed out in V formation. This is another indication of early Buick V8's and there was only one aluminum.

The V8 in the TR8 is a mistery to me because I believe it is a OHC V8.

Edited by razoredge

The V8 in the TR8 is a mistery to me because I believe it is a OHC V8.

The Triumph TR8 used the same Rover 215cid V8...it's OHV. The Triumph Stag, introduced in the early 1970s, was a 3.0L SOHC V8 but was not related to the Rover/Buick engine.

The Triumph TR8 used the same Rover 215cid V8...it's OHV. The Triumph Stag, introduced in the early 1970s, was a 3.0L SOHC V8 but was not related to the Rover/Buick engine.

169439[/snapback]

OK, thanks for that info. I got my wires crossed there (probably Lucas electrics in my head). :)